Swansea City 2-0 Newcastle United - 15/08/15 - Post-match reaction from page 27

Greg

Just daft, man. You're dying to be critical if you think McClaren should've taken off the only RB. Especially when you're looking at Steven Taylor getting on. There was no guarantees at all that he was gonna end up going. He rightly did, as it happens, but you see those tugs of war between players every week; it doesn't just inevitably result in a sending-off.

And again, I'll ask, what do you do about it?

Replace him with who?

Taylor can play in his position, Mbemba can and so can Anita.  All of them better than doing nothing and going down to 10 men and playing nobody up front.

Everyone in the Western Hemisphere knew he was about to get sent off.

Everybody except for one, maybe two people.

Replace him with who?

Mick's not backing down on this one!

S'pose he could have moved him to CB and put Mbemba at RB. It's admitting Montero was ramming him and he wasn't able to take it, but Janmaat would be more use there than nowhere. Those decisions are why Schteve gets the big bucks and he didn't take any decision, he was a frozen rabbit in the headlights. I hate to say it, but Dick down the road subbed his captain/liability last week after 30m and they won the rest of the match 2-1. He's not a fucking idiot.

Everyone on here seems to hate Taylor, but he's much better than Colo for physical challenges. Maybe sub him for Janmaat at HT would've then been my call. Now we've got no RB next week. Terrific.

Just daft, man. You're dying to be critical if you think McClaren should've taken off the only RB. Especially when you're looking at Steven Taylor getting on. There was no guarantees at all that he was gonna end up going. He rightly did, as it happens, but you see those tugs of war between players every week; it doesn't just inevitably result in a sending-off.

:lol:  Steven Taylor did get on, he came on for the injured Sissoko.  Taylor came on for Sissoko when it would have made more sense to bring on Perez and drop Wijnaldum into midfield.  Then we removed our only attacking player and replaced him with a winger before replacing a winger with a forward.  His use of substitutions is bizarre. 

The Taylor one was perhaps the only decision you could claim was a bit needlessly cautious, but he wanted another defender on. The others weren't bizarre at all - not when his plan was very clearly intended to just contain them. Which was a fair enough mentality at that stage.

The Taylor one was perhaps the only decision you could claim was a bit needlessly cautious, but he wanted another defender on. The others weren't bizarre at all - not when his plan was very clearly intended to just contain them. Which was a fair enough mentality at that stage.

Thousands of our fans travelled to Swansea, to do you think they did that to see a negative bastard remove his only striking threat so he could keep the score down?  Playing nobody up front is taking the piss, I would accept it if we were trying to hold onto something but not to keep the score down when we could have released pressure by trying to keep the ball further up the pitch.

but Sissoko was just as poor, couldnt even be arsed to get close enough to foul someone.

What? :lol: he was our best player by a country mile in the first half and the only one doing anything, when he went off our threat went with him. Not to mention he actually did do an awful lot to help Janmaat, he didn't just leave him hanging out to dry.

Thousands of our fans travelled to Swansea, to do you think they did that to see a negative bastard remove his only striking threat so he could keep the score down?  Playing nobody up front is taking the piss, I would accept it if we were trying to hold onto something but not to keep the score down when we could have released pressure by trying to keep the ball further up the pitch.

If you wanna choose to immediately build a front of hating the manager - so soon after the last fucking ordeal - go for it. I cba though, maybe I'm just trying to think glass half full but I really don't think McClaren made any glaring fuckups at all today.

but Sissoko was just as poor, couldnt even be arsed to get close enough to foul someone.

<b>What? :lol: he was our best player by a country mile in the first half</b> and the only one doing anything, when he went off our threat went with him. Not to mention he actually did do an awful lot to help Janmaat, he didn't just leave him hanging out to dry.

He wasn't like.

Ok.

This mismatch only went to prove what I thought last week - McClaren has a heap of work to do in sorting this team out and he won't do it with the current personnel, or at least, a large percentage of them.

Apart from a 10 minute spell before Janmaat stupidly(there is no other word for it)got himself sent off and we threatened to make a game of it, Swansea were streets ahead...and that applies not only on the pitch, but with their whole ethos as a club because they shouldn't be in the same street as NUFC when it comes to potential but also when you look at how they have steadily built a better side and established themselves as a PL side likely to finish Top 8. They have a progressive and astute board, a seemingly fine young manager, a united fan base and are supported by their local authority...compare this with the total shambles which has been Newcastle United under Ashley, with the constant unrest off the field due to lousy decision-making at the top which has led to a constantly fractured team on the field, with good players(how we could have done with Cabaye yesterday, there was NOBODY pulling the strings or with the vision to make things happen)being sold off and not replaced halfway through a season ; in case anyone needs reminding, we have flirted closely with relegation twice in the last few years and been relegated once under this regime - I can remember Swansea being beaten at Darlington in years gone by, which shows you just how much they have advanced and how much we have gone retrograde in the past 10 years. South Wales is a rugby place, but Swansea have turned all this around to become a very good PL outfit whilst we, the club with the third largest stadium in the PL, are often linked with relegation and struggle as well as being the standing joke of the football world.

The game yesterday was an outstanding example of how clubs with ambition but limited resources(in comparison)can leave potentially top clubs standing because they are run properly and have the confidence of their fans.

We are so limited in cover for crucial positions, due largely to Ashley's penny-pinching policies, that McClaren had little choice but to persist with Janmaat following his booking early in the game instead of being able to sub him after he was lucky to escape a second booking before the inevitable happened ; we are so limited that the manager had to play Colo and Mbembe together last week after one had just been signed and the other had done little pre-season and CD will be a nightmare for most of this season unless there are more signings before 1 Sept, which to date has been looking unlikely.

The lack of firepower up front is obvious ; Cisse is poor as a target man anyway and was left largely isolated, with only Obertan trying to get wasteful shots in from outside the box.

There was NOBODY pulling the m/f strings, Wijnaldum is clearly more of a box-to-box midfielder than a creator like Cabaye and long range passing was often poor and mis-hit. Wijnaldum will take a while to adjust to the PL and he disappears for long spells as the game passes him by and Mbembe is also struggling a bit with the movement of players in the PL, with Gomis leaving him for dead when he beat the Offside trap for their first. Obviously, some of these things will improve as players adjust, but the basic weaknesses in the side are there for all to see and unless this is addressed quickly, we are in for at least half a season of struggle.

To say yesterday was disappointing is an understatement and should at least have served to remove the scales from the eyes of the ever over-optimists that form a large part of our support.

<b>What? :lol: he was our best player by a country mile in the first half</b> and the only one doing anything, when he went off our threat went with him. Not to mention he actually did do an awful lot to help Janmaat, he didn't just leave him hanging out to dry.

He wasn't like.

Ok.

I can't stand Sissoko on the right. Yes, he'll run with the ball a lot, but almost always into blind alleys and ends up losing it cheaply. Doesn't have a cross on him either.

He wasn't like.

Ok.

I can't stand Sissoko on the right. Yes, he'll run with the ball a lot, but almost always into blind alleys and ends up losing it cheaply. Doesn't have a cross on him either.

I don't agree with that. He's proven plenty of times he can play on the right, and as of the team right now he MUST start on the right. Him and Janmaat were our most dangerous player for the first 45 minutes against Southampton. I still haven't seen anything from Sissoko in terms of intelligence and positioning that suggests he can play part in a 2-man central midfield. He's a big guy, but he's no Yaya Toure.

IMO, Wijnaldum has to be moved down to play alongside Tiote/Colback/Anita (the latter preferebly) and we need to get a new player in offensively. Still think Cabella has a lot to offer as well. Bring in Thauvin (can't be that impossible, offer the money they need)

Mitrovic

Cabella Sissoko Thauvin

Wijnaldum Colback/Tiote/Anita

;)

This mismatch only went to prove what I thought last week - McClaren has a heap of work to do in sorting this team out and he won't do it with the current personnel, or at least, a large percentage of them.

Apart from a 10 minute spell before Janmaat stupidly(there is no other word for it)got himself sent off and we threatened to make a game of it, Swansea were streets ahead...and that applies not only on the pitch, but with their whole ethos as a club because they shouldn't be in the same street as NUFC when it comes to potential but also when you look at how they have steadily built a better side and established themselves as a PL side likely to finish Top 8. They have a progressive and astute board, a seemingly fine young manager, a united fan base and are supported by their local authority...compare this with the total shambles which has been Newcastle United under Ashley, with the constant unrest off the field due to lousy decision-making at the top which has led to a constantly fractured team on the field, with good players(how we could have done with Cabaye yesterday, there was NOBODY pulling the strings or with the vision to make things happen)being sold off and not replaced halfway through a season ; in case anyone needs reminding, we have flirted closely with relegation twice in the last few years and been relegated once under this regime - I can remember Swansea being beaten at Darlington in years gone by, which shows you just how much they have advanced and how much we have gone retrograde in the past 10 years. South Wales is a rugby place, but Swansea have turned all this around to become a very good PL outfit whilst we, the club with the third largest stadium in the PL, are often linked with relegation and struggle as well as being the standing joke of the football world.

The game yesterday was an outstanding example of how clubs with ambition but limited resources(in comparison)can leave potentially top clubs standing because they are run properly and have the confidence of their fans.

We are so limited in cover for crucial positions, due largely to Ashley's penny-pinching policies, that McClaren had little choice but to persist with Janmaat following his booking early in the game instead of being able to sub him after he was lucky to escape a second booking before the inevitable happened ; we are so limited that the manager had to play Colo and Mbembe together last week after one had just been signed and the other had done little pre-season and CD will be a nightmare for most of this season unless there are more signings before 1 Sept, which to date has been looking unlikely.

The lack of firepower up front is obvious ; Cisse is poor as a target man anyway and was left largely isolated, with only Obertan trying to get wasteful shots in from outside the box.

There was NOBODY pulling the m/f strings, Wijnaldum is clearly more of a box-to-box midfielder than a creator like Cabaye and long range passing was often poor and mis-hit. Wijnaldum will take a while to adjust to the PL and he disappears for long spells as the game passes him by and Mbembe is also struggling a bit with the movement of players in the PL, with Gomis leaving him for dead when he beat the Offside trap for their first. Obviously, some of these things will improve as players adjust, but the basic weaknesses in the side are there for all to see and unless this is addressed quickly, we are in for at least half a season of struggle.

To say yesterday was disappointing is an understatement and should at least have served to remove the scales from the eyes of the ever over-optimists that form a large part of our support.

Just watched the highlights on MOTD, looked absolute rubbish and so much if that squad just plainly isn't up to it. 3 summer signings as yet is a paltry haul. Things were obviously just made harder when Janmaat got himself sent off but for me there's just too many question marks in the side - Coloccini outmuscled on a cross for a goal, Cisse ineffective, the combination of Colback/Anita simply isn't good enough, very little in the way of decent squad backup.

Major work still to do and major investment needed to avoid a season of struggle.

Everyone in the Western Hemisphere knew he was about to get sent off.

Everybody except for one, maybe two people.

Replace him with who?

Mick's not backing down on this one!

S'pose he could have moved him to CB and put Mbemba at RB. It's admitting Montero was ramming him and he wasn't able to take it, but Janmaat would be more use there than nowhere. Those decisions are why Schteve gets the big bucks and he didn't take any decision, he was a frozen rabbit in the headlights. I hate to say it, but Dick down the road subbed his captain/liability last week after 30m and they won the rest of the match 2-1. He's not a fucking idiot.

Everyone on here seems to hate Taylor, but he's much better than Colo for physical challenges. Maybe sub him for Janmaat at HT would've then been my call. Now we've got no RB next week. Terrific.

Aye mate....at half time I agree, but that's not what Mick's saying.

Players like Andre Ayew and Gomis should be playing for us btw. No ambition from us.

Been banging on about how good Ayew is in the air, up against Colo and co. I really should've put money on him getting a goal in that way. Smh.

Predictable :lol:

In before TCD pretends he's the only person who has heard of Ayew pre Swansea.