Swansea City 2-0 Newcastle United - 15/08/15 - Post-match reaction from page 27

Greg

LOL. Stop clutching at straws. What is your point? In 2013 he had some issues that made me question his skill and desire. He put that right in 2014, shone at the WC and dragged the team to the few bright spots it enjoyed. Carried that into our run to the AFCON 2015 final and showed himself to be a leader.

Whatever the purpose of digging up the 2013 quote, is made defunct by the March 2015 post which is everything i've been saying for the last few weeks.

Are you Ghanaian TCD?

Indeed.

Whereabouts are you from in Ghana out of interest? I love that part of the world.

(Don't worry I'll go back to slating your drivel in a minute if you like  :lol:)

Love Accra. Such a colourful and vibrant city, so much soul. Follow Hearts of Oak by chance? Or any other Accra-based team? Watched them a couple times when I was last over there and loved the party vibe

I've mentioned Jordan plenty.

This is 2 years ago lol. Since then Andre has been the best player for Ghana leading up to and at World Cup 2014 and was excellent again in 2015 AFCON. Why didn't you bring up this quote from March 2015?

So you don't class September of 2013, the lead up to the summer WC of 2014. Righto.

Eh, no

I think Mbemba was superb. Janmaat screwed the offiside trap, but Mbemba was the only one cabable of handling Montero. He is also very calm with the ball. Clearly already our best defender.

Sure Mbemba got rinsed by Montero for the 2nd goal.

he did aye

Pretty difficult to stop that situation.

Mbemba didn't let Montero get inside once. Only defender I've seen stop him in that respect.

Montero goes outside to cross most of the time, MOTD last night highlighted how much space Mbemba was giving him.

I think Mbemba was superb. Janmaat screwed the offiside trap, but Mbemba was the only one cabable of handling Montero. He is also very calm with the ball. Clearly already our best defender.

he did aye

Mbemba didn't let Montero get inside once. Only defender I've seen stop him in that respect.

Montero goes outside to cross most of the time, MOTD last night highlighted how much space Mbemba was giving him.

I watched him run through Ivanovic and Janmaat on the inside on more than a few occasions this season.

This mismatch only went to prove what I thought last week - McClaren has a heap of work to do in sorting this team out and he won't do it with the current personnel, or at least, a large percentage of them.

Apart from a 10 minute spell before Janmaat stupidly(there is no other word for it)got himself sent off and we threatened to make a game of it, Swansea were streets ahead...and that applies not only on the pitch, but with their whole ethos as a club because they shouldn't be in the same street as NUFC when it comes to potential but also when you look at how they have steadily built a better side and established themselves as a PL side likely to finish Top 8. They have a progressive and astute board, a seemingly fine young manager, a united fan base and are supported by their local authority...compare this with the total shambles which has been Newcastle United under Ashley, with the constant unrest off the field due to lousy decision-making at the top which has led to a constantly fractured team on the field, with good players(how we could have done with Cabaye yesterday, there was NOBODY pulling the strings or with the vision to make things happen)being sold off and not replaced halfway through a season ; in case anyone needs reminding, we have flirted closely with relegation twice in the last few years and been relegated once under this regime - I can remember Swansea being beaten at Darlington in years gone by, which shows you just how much they have advanced and how much we have gone retrograde in the past 10 years. South Wales is a rugby place, but Swansea have turned all this around to become a very good PL outfit whilst we, the club with the third largest stadium in the PL, are often linked with relegation and struggle as well as being the standing joke of the football world.

The game yesterday was an outstanding example of how clubs with ambition but limited resources(in comparison)can leave potentially top clubs standing because they are run properly and have the confidence of their fans.

We are so limited in cover for crucial positions, due largely to Ashley's penny-pinching policies, that McClaren had little choice but to persist with Janmaat following his booking early in the game instead of being able to sub him after he was lucky to escape a second booking before the inevitable happened ; we are so limited that the manager had to play Colo and Mbembe together last week after one had just been signed and the other had done little pre-season and CD will be a nightmare for most of this season unless there are more signings before 1 Sept, which to date has been looking unlikely.

The lack of firepower up front is obvious ; Cisse is poor as a target man anyway and was left largely isolated, with only Obertan trying to get wasteful shots in from outside the box.

There was NOBODY pulling the m/f strings, Wijnaldum is clearly more of a box-to-box midfielder than a creator like Cabaye and long range passing was often poor and mis-hit. Wijnaldum will take a while to adjust to the PL and he disappears for long spells as the game passes him by and Mbembe is also struggling a bit with the movement of players in the PL, with Gomis leaving him for dead when he beat the Offside trap for their first. Obviously, some of these things will improve as players adjust, but the basic weaknesses in the side are there for all to see and unless this is addressed quickly, we are in for at least half a season of struggle.

To say yesterday was disappointing is an understatement and should at least have served to remove the scales from the eyes of the ever over-optimists that form a large part of our support.

Very well put, A small club like Swansea who obviously have intelligent football people running their affairs, continue to leave us standing when it comes to sensible decisions and appointments. God only knows how successful our club could be with such people at the helm.

We won't find out for a long time...if ever. NUFC is always going to be a tempting money machine for whoever owns it...

Watched the game again last night, albeit after quite a few drinks, here is my very short take on it:

-Our midfield didn't get near theirs, we were second to evrything and seemed a yard off the pace (need to replace one of Colback/Anita)

-Cisse is crap in a 4231, he doesn't apport anything to the team, he is only useful when insed the opposition area. we need someone else up front in away games to help link up the play and/or hold the ball up.

-Colo is still yards off the pace of the game defensively speaking. Getting beat by Ayew was very poor, he had time to set himslef up and jump but it looks like he just hasn't got the reactions/pace/energy to do so

-Jaanmat won't be that crap in future (we hope)

There was this clip where the ball was played up to Cisse, and Kyle Nayghton went shoulder to shoulder and just flung him to the side man. Cisse went stumbling, and we were under I mediate pressure. Imagine a full back manhandling your centre forward like that. Cisse really annoys me at the minute.

Not bad considering, is the short answer.

Good. Hopefully Colo gets hobbled before the lads confidence gets shot to fuck. Mind he's got a few harrowing games coming up.

Aye, hopefully he has to play alongside Williamson or Taylor, that'll give him a boost.

There was this clip where the ball was played up to Cisse, and Kyle Nayghton went shoulder to shoulder and just flung him to the side man. Cisse went stumbling, and we were under I mediate pressure. Imagine a full back manhandling your centre forward like that. Cisse really annoys me at the minute.

Cisse is not and never has been, a target man...too easily brushed off the ball and poor control under pressure from defenders.

Complete waste of space when played as a lone striker and as this seems to be McClaren's preferred system, he should be sold and a better holding striker brought in. Cisse's best season was when he had Ba taking the weight off him and Cabaye providing better service from m/f. He is purely and simply a poacher.

he did aye

I watched him run through Ivanovic and Janmaat on the inside on more than a few occasions this season.

I thought Montero is right footed anyway... so let him cross with his weaker foot

Good. Hopefully Colo gets hobbled before the lads confidence gets shot to fuck. Mind he's got a few harrowing games coming up.

Aye, hopefully he has to play alongside Williamson or Taylor, that'll give him a boost.

i think he'd be much better off with taylor atm like

Hmm, not so sure, couldn't be much worse though I suppose.

Love Accra. Such a colourful and vibrant city, so much soul. Follow Hearts of Oak by chance? Or any other Accra-based team? Watched them a couple times when I was last over there and loved the party vibe

Oh nice, you from there? Spent some time travelling?

Nope, don't follow the national league but Asante Kotoko is the family team.

Hmm, not so sure, couldn't be much worse though I suppose.

taylor is dumb enough for his confidence never to be shot, colo is mentally and physically broken at this level, that much is clear, so what kind of example he's setting mbemba is anyone's guess

Oh nice, you from there? Spent some time travelling?

Nope, don't follow the national league but Asante Kotoko is the family team.

Nope I'm originally from Kirinyaga in Kenya but my aunt has worked for the UN in Accra for 15 years, and Tumale for a year before that so have spent some time over there a few times. She loves it in Accra and so do I, such a vibrant place to live life. Also like how the streets come to a standstill whenever the national team is playing...that never happens in Kenya unless Rudisha is running these days