Do you want NUFC to be relegated?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

i've just penned this as an article, more out of frustration that anything, will probably not get published as it's more me just wittering on, but thought i'd share in here anyway

Is relegation the only saviour for Newcastle United?

When I’m of the opinion that consecutive relegations may be the only thing that can save Newcastle United, then I know it must really be desperate, and desperate times take desperate measures

Before you all go all crazy at me such as… you want us to do a Leeds or Portsmouth etc? let’s just dispel a few myths

First of all both Portsmouth and Leeds United spent well above their means and it was that over enthusiasm in chase of success that lead to their demise, one thing you cannot have any concerns about when it comes to Newcastle United! All I/we want is for us to compete. Secondly, for every Portsmouth or Leeds there’s a Southampton or Leicester, you see where I’m going with this? Now you go and find a fan of either of those clubs and ask them if they’d swap places with us, I’m sure I know what their answer would be, they will have enjoyed the journey at their own respective clubs far more than ourselves since Mike Ashley bought our club.

Let’s just roll the clock back a little, May 2007, Mike Ashley had just taken a controlling stake of NUFC and I was forced to do something I had never even thought about, sell my shares I’d held for so many years, that at the most I think they ever gave me was a dividend of about 7 quid or was it 12?

At that time Leicester City had just escaped relegation from the Championship, Southampton FC had just missed out on promotion from the Championship and a club called AFC Bournemouth were getting crowds of 3/4000 having just escaped relegation from League 1.

That’s just how far NUFC have regressed. At least their owners, boards, managers have tried to better themselves since that same period, improved upon, built up good foundations and tried to be the best they could, whereas us.. Or should I say Mike Ashley’s ‘NUFC’ has tried to do the polar opposite. He has stripped away all leaders of men, any subordinates that may challenge his ethos to the point where there is zero hope or ambition and replaced it all with nothing but an acceptance of failure and mediocrity.

No desire or aspiration but to stay on the gravy train that is the Premier league, one of the best brands in the world might I add? such as it’s that great a brand that no one can see the wood for the trees and the longer NUFC stays in the Premier league, the longer we will be an absolutely nothing club just plodding along in purgatory for the guaranteed £100m share of that huge TV deal, for what? The ground is like a morgue, the players don’t care like you or I do, they just want that move to a Champions league club. Newcastle United is a shadow of its former self, a parody of a football club and I see no way of it improving for a very long time.

But it’s Steve McClaren’s fault I hear some of you say. No it isn’t. he is just another symptom of the cause, a nothing ‘Coach’ that cannot manage a football club, a yes man that was pretty much in his last chance saloon and grateful for a job at a so called ‘big club’ Newcastle United is no longer a big club, Newcastle United is just a marketing tool for a former little known sporting goods store called Sports & Soccer, look at how that empire has grown if you want to see success!

We don’t expect to win the league, goodness knows the elite teams have made sure of that, but at least we could try to give things our best shot, try for a cup, aim for Europe, and be the best we possibly could. Just take a look at the top of the Premier League for a moment. Does that remind you of anyone? For Newcastle United to succeed again, well at least try to succeed (we are a patient bunch and don’t let any lazy stereotyping journalists try to tell you any different) the only way that can happen is for OUR club to be rid of Mike Ashley, and for that to happen it has got to offer zero monetary value to the only love in is life… his cheap, jumble sale style tat emporium

The only way that can happen is for Newcastle United to be relegated, not once, but possibly twice! Shock, horror! I hear you say, your mouths open aghast at such a ridiculous thought! If we were to get relegated once, to the championship then bounce straight back up, he has already shown he can weather that storm; he will take the hit financially for a season due to the money the Premier league coverage generates his Sporting goods empire.

If you want Newcastle United to get back to its former years of at least giving it a go, being exciting to watch and to feel those hairs stand up on the back of your neck when you walk into that ground and the team that we all have so much hope for takes to the centre circle, then do something about it. Don’t go, stop putting the money in his pocket to the point that he knows no matter what he does, those ‘loyal’ fans will still turn up. Make a stand, make Newcastle UNITED again and to do that you must stop going and hope that something extremely desperate happens in order for us to take back our club.

:clap:

You're cherry picking timeframes.

Between relegation from the Premiership in 04 through to relegation to League 1 in 08 was dismal beyond recognition.

It started with a central defensive partnership of a 39 year old Keown and nearly as old Dabizas and spiralled down through the likes of Craig Levein's cut price SPL junk like Mayberry, Devries and Rab sodding Douglas into sewage like Andy Johnson, Josh Low and Elvis Hammond (ankle), a striker who had more years of life than goals at the senior level, while being in his mid to late 20s, whose skills were primarily running very fast in a straight line, being offside and missing games due to suspicious ankle injuries. There were some mediocre to moderately talented players: solid defensive cloggers like McAuley, Johansson and Kisnorbo, Fryatt as a talented but overweight and inconsistent young striker and a youth team that had a very promising set of players. Then one got his leg snapped in a preseason friendly, then got rushed back from it too soon and snapped it again, and was never the same since.

At the time, Leicester were one of a short list of teams never to have been outside the top two divisions, so these were pretty much the worst teams ever (other than a few similarly awful years in the late 80s to very early 90s). The money was getting tighter, the players shiter, and it all looked pretty hopeless.

Then, Milan Mandaric bought the team. The next season was the most ludicrous thing imaginable. Six managers, eight rightbacks (of which I remember games where we were having 5 of them in the starting line up), Oakley and Howard from that awful Derby side as the January panic buys, dodge as hell Willie McKay players on a rotation through Rangers and Portsmouth and a right back who'd had an impressive World Cup for Iran but didn't speak English and disappeared off the face of the earth after a couple of games. A random midfielder from the Dutch second tire who barely seemed to exist. Gary Megson as a positive. The biggest positive was Marton Fulop on loan (RIP), then Keane wouldn't extend it. Clive Clarke looked okay on loan, then had a heart attack. Then Ian Holloway showed up, signed a couple of Hungarian wingers who looked fantastic for one game then disinterested and pathetic from then on out. There was a game around Bonfire night at Colchester, at their shitty old Layer Road ground where everyone just stopped watching the game and started watching the fireworks display that you could see going on in a nearby park. The last day of the season was against Stoke. They needed something to go up, we needed to match Southampton's result. Nobody had any balls. We went down and inflicted Stoke on the Premier League.

It changed after that. It easily could have been the same story as Forest, Leeds, the Sheffields but Mandaric got a proper management team, let them repair all the malaise and decay that had built up and have most of the control over transfers. King and Gradel came into the first team and along with a smart blend of the stronger parts of the previous seasons panic buys, a bunch of premier league reserve loaners, freebies like Lloyd Dyer, Bruno Berner and Chris Powell and €1m Bulgarian international Aleksandr Tunchev, a Premier League standard centreback who pissed all over the division without ever getting out of first gear (until an ACL snapped and he never really got going again) and was the only signing I've seen that has been WTF is a good way that I can remember, other than Cambiasso.

From there, sure, getting back into the championship was fun and The Championship was fun when going for promotion. But not being able to stay up in '04 doomed the club to four years of utter turd before things changed and the Championship and League One are littered with the husks of Premier League teams whose rebuild wasn't so successful.

Getting Ashley out is probably worth a bit of difficulty but don't count on things changing the moment the playoffs get missed.

Guest antz1uk

You're cherry picking timeframes.

Between relegation from the Premiership in 04 through to relegation to League 1 in 08 was dismal beyond recognition.

It started with a central defensive partnership of a 39 year old Keown and nearly as old Dabizas and spiralled down through the likes of Craig Levein's cut price SPL junk like Mayberry, Devries and Rab sodding Douglas into sewage like Andy Johnson, Josh Low and Elvis Hammond (ankle), a striker who had more years of life than goals at the senior level, while being in his mid to late 20s, whose skills were primarily running very fast in a straight line, being offside and missing games due to suspicious ankle injuries. There were some mediocre to moderately talented players: solid defensive cloggers like McAuley, Johansson and Kisnorbo, Fryatt as a talented but overweight and inconsistent young striker and a youth team that had a very promising set of players. Then one got his leg snapped in a preseason friendly, then got rushed back from it too soon and snapped it again, and was never the same since.

At the time, Leicester were one of a short list of teams never to have been outside the top two divisions, so these were pretty much the worst teams ever (other than a few similarly awful years in the late 80s to very early 90s). The money was getting tighter, the players shiter, and it all looked pretty hopeless.

Then, Milan Mandaric bought the team. The next season was the most ludicrous thing imaginable. Six managers, eight rightbacks (of which I remember games where we were having 5 of them in the starting line up), Oakley and Howard from that awful Derby side as the January panic buys, dodge as hell Willie McKay players on a rotation through Rangers and Portsmouth and a right back who'd had an impressive World Cup for Iran but didn't speak English and disappeared off the face of the earth after a couple of games. A random midfielder from the Dutch second tire who barely seemed to exist. Gary Megson as a positive. The biggest positive was Marton Fulop on loan (RIP), then Keane wouldn't extend it. Clive Clarke looked okay on loan, then had a heart attack. Then Ian Holloway showed up, signed a couple of Hungarian wingers who looked fantastic for one game then disinterested and pathetic from then on out. There was a game around Bonfire night at Colchester, at their shitty old Layer Road ground where everyone just stopped watching the game and started watching the fireworks display that you could see going on in a nearby park. The last day of the season was against Stoke. They needed something to go up, we needed to match Southampton's result. Nobody had any balls. We went down and inflicted Stoke on the Premier League.

It changed after that. It easily could have been the same story as Forest, Leeds, the Sheffields but Mandaric got a proper management team, let them repair all the malaise and decay that had built up and have most of the control over transfers. King and Gradel came into the first team and along with a smart blend of the stronger parts of the previous seasons panic buys, a bunch of premier league reserve loaners, freebies like Lloyd Dyer, Bruno Berner and Chris Powell and €1m Bulgarian international Aleksandr Tunchev, a Premier League standard centreback who p*ssed all over the division without ever getting out of first gear (until an ACL snapped and he never really got going again) and was the only signing I've seen that has been WTF is a good way that I can remember, other than Cambiasso.

From there, sure, getting back into the championship was fun and The Championship was fun when going for promotion. But not being able to stay up in '04 doomed the club to four years of utter turd before things changed and the Championship and League One are littered with the husks of Premier League teams whose rebuild wasn't so successful.

Getting Ashley out is probably worth a bit of difficulty but don't count on things changing the moment the playoffs get missed.

how on earth am i picking timeframes? the facts of the matter are when Ashely Arrived to where we currently stand now, Yet for fans of those clubs i mention is has still been a journey far more noteworthy than the last 8 years of constant purgatory we have had

My point was a bit muddled by all the rambling about how truly awful those teams were, sorry. What I meant was - Looking at a team that bottomed out before Ashley's initial spin wore off and saying 'hey, it'd be more fun than this crap' when looking at the fun recovery misses out that there was some truly bad stuff to wade through between relegation and the turning point.

Guest antz1uk

yeah i get that, but i feel in my own humble opinion at least without him at the helm, in a lower division at least you could still get enjoyment out of going to the matches knowing that at least you're trying for something at the end of it. This Current NUFC are purposefully just trying to finish 17th or above to catch the big pot of money, fans don't give a shit about the money, it's about trying to be the best you can.

TBH i'm not sure if half of my problem is the whole premier league bullshit too, the year in the championship was a breath of fresh air, it was honest, non of the overy hyped bullshit of top four... best league in the world craic rammed down our throats by the likes of sky. it was real football matches with real football fans

Guest Howaythetoon

i've just penned this as an article, more out of frustration that anything, will probably not get published as it's more me just wittering on, but thought i'd share in here anyway

When I’m of the opinion that consecutive relegations may be the only thing that can save Newcastle United, then I know it must really be desperate, and desperate times take desperate measures

Before you all go all crazy at me such as… you want us to do a Leeds or Portsmouth etc? let’s just dispel a few myths

First of all both Portsmouth and Leeds United spent well above their means and it was that over enthusiasm in chase of success that lead to their demise, one thing you cannot have any concerns about when it comes to Newcastle United! All I/we want is for us to compete. Secondly, for every Portsmouth or Leeds there’s a Southampton or Leicester, you see where I’m going with this? Now you go and find a fan of either of those clubs and ask them if they’d swap places with us, I’m sure I know what their answer would be, they will have enjoyed the journey at their own respective clubs far more than ourselves since Mike Ashley bought our club.

Let’s just roll the clock back a little, May 2007, Mike Ashley had just taken a controlling stake of NUFC and I was forced to do something I had never even thought about, sell my shares I’d held for so many years, that at the most I think they ever gave me was a dividend of about 7 quid or was it 12?

At that time Leicester City had just escaped relegation from the Championship, Southampton FC had just missed out on promotion from the Championship and a club called AFC Bournemouth were getting crowds of 3/4000 having just escaped relegation from League 1.

That’s just how far NUFC have regressed. At least their owners, boards, managers have tried to better themselves since that same period, improved upon, built up good foundations and tried to be the best they could, whereas us.. Or should I say Mike Ashley’s ‘NUFC’ has tried to do the polar opposite. He has stripped away all leaders of men, any subordinates that may challenge his ethos to the point where there is zero hope or ambition and replaced it all with nothing but an acceptance of failure and mediocrity.

No desire or aspiration but to stay on the gravy train that is the Premier league, one of the best brands in the world might I add? such as it’s that great a brand that no one can see the wood for the trees and the longer NUFC stays in the Premier league, the longer we will be an absolutely nothing club just plodding along in purgatory for the guaranteed £100m share of that huge TV deal, for what? The ground is like a morgue, the players don’t care like you or I do, they just want that move to a Champions league club. Newcastle United is a shadow of its former self, a parody of a football club and I see no way of it improving for a very long time.

But it’s Steve McClaren’s fault I hear some of you say. No it isn’t. he is just another symptom of the cause, a nothing ‘Coach’ that cannot manage a football club, a yes man that was pretty much in his last chance saloon and grateful for a job at a so called ‘big club’ Newcastle United is no longer a big club, Newcastle United is just a marketing tool for a former little known sporting goods store called Sports & Soccer, look at how that empire has grown if you want to see success!

We don’t expect to win the league, goodness knows the elite teams have made sure of that, but at least we could try to give things our best shot, try for a cup, aim for Europe, and be the best we possibly could. Just take a look at the top of the Premier League for a moment. Does that remind you of anyone? For Newcastle United to succeed again, well at least try to succeed (we are a patient bunch and don’t let any lazy stereotyping journalists try to tell you any different) the only way that can happen is for OUR club to be rid of Mike Ashley, and for that to happen it has got to offer zero monetary value to the only love in is life… his cheap, jumble sale style tat emporium

The only way that can happen is for Newcastle United to be relegated, not once, but possibly twice! Shock, horror! I hear you say, your mouths open aghast at such a ridiculous thought! If we were to get relegated once, to the championship then bounce straight back up, he has already shown he can weather that storm; he will take the hit financially for a season due to the money the Premier league coverage generates his Sporting goods empire.

If you want Newcastle United to get back to its former years of at least giving it a go, being exciting to watch and to feel those hairs stand up on the back of your neck when you walk into that ground and the team that we all have so much hope for takes to the centre circle, then do something about it. Don’t go, stop putting the money in his pocket to the point that he knows no matter what he does, those ‘loyal’ fans will still turn up. Make a stand, make Newcastle UNITED again and to do that you must stop going and hope that something extremely desperate happens in order for us to take back our club.

tl;dr

We're going fucking nowhere under Ashley now so we might as well start from the very bottom again even if it takes years to get back. With Ashley in charge there's no hope, and with no hope there's no meaning to support this club, hell it's not even a real club anymore. If there's even a tiny tiny chance go get rid of Ahsley by going down a league or two or whatever then i'll take that seven days a week. At least some might happen then, might..Sick of this!

I agree. This feeling of hopelessness is devastating :(

tl;dr

:lol:

It's an escape from the hype train but It's only fun when you're winning, or at least have  a promising team and the novelty's not worn off. The trying is a good point, but there's no guarantee that it would be a major revolution; the championship and league one are rammed full of shitwad players strolling around because they used to play in the Premier League y'know.

Is it worth the risk? Probably.

Guest The Little Waster

I'd actually cheer if we went down ... and cheer some more if we went down again ... its only when the club stops being a nice little bunsen burner for him that the fact hunt will leave

Out of interest from the people who want us to get relegated, what was the feeling at 1-0 with 5 minutes to go against Liverpool? Were any of you devastated that we made it 2-0, particularly the ones that said they'd cheer if we went down.

Maybe I'm stupid but I always hope that we'll turn it around and progress. Results like yesterday's win is the reason why I bother putting myself through it every week and scouring the forums for any slight information. Surely no one really wants relegation, not deep down?

I think it's hard to actively want your team to lose and play badly.  The same way it's hard to not be happy to see us winning.  All that said, if all we have as fans to look forward to, is a relegation scrap every year, with a bang average manager and a cunt of an owner.  I can see why people think relegation is a decent alternative.  There is the chance Ashley would sell up and we'd actually look to become a football club again.  Not a national laughing stock, with an awful system in place.

It's a risk, as there is no guarantee Ashley would leave.  Or that we'd get a better owner in his place.  But football isn't very enjoyable for me at the minute.  I've massively gone off the Premier League these last couple of years and I think NUFC has a huge role to play in me feeling like that. 

I was very similar to that last point under Pardew. It has somehow rekindled my interest since that cretin has left even though our league position is worse.

I was so happy when he went.  But then we appointed Carver and now we have Steve Mac.  Nothing appears to have changed and they're still not learning from their constant mistakes.  The playing style may be slightly better, even if we do get humped just as much, if not more.  But long term, it looks bleak with this current 'business model'.

I think year after year, of an Ashley run club.  Has just worn me down beyond the point of giving two fucks.  Was pleased with the win, but I do just feel a bit apathetic about it all now.  You know what I used to be like and I hate feeling like this.  But I know that nothing is changing, unless Ashley leaves. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, as there's no point currently. With a quality manager and players I'd probably think otherwise, but with the fucking fat arsehole that owns us, you can't expect either of those.

After January if there's no major recruitment or a top quality Manager appointed, I sincerely hope the entire fan base wakes up and abandon's the matches. Whether we go down or scrape survival it is time to take a stand.

Guest Howaythetoon

Us Villa and the mackems stink out the league along with perhaps WBA, totally pointless clubs with zero ambition whose football is awful and whose existence in the PL is taking up the places of 3 or 4 clubs lower down who would love to be in the division and to make a go of doing well in it. The 3 promoted clubs have been a breath of fresh air and over the years we have seen a steady rise of clubs coming up not just going up and hoping to stay up but going up to compete. I hope we go down and stay down until a new owner is in place.

7 points from Liverpool, Spurs and Villa and this thread goes missing. Two narrow 1-0 defeats and all of a sudden it's back on the radar and people suddenly remember they want us to go down. RTG levels of hilarious this.

Guest palnese

Us Villa and the mackems stink out the league along with perhaps WBA, totally pointless clubs with zero ambition whose football is awful and whose existence in the PL is taking up the places of 3 or 4 clubs lower down who would love to be in the division and to make a go of doing well in it. The 3 promoted clubs have been a breath of fresh air and over the years we have seen a steady rise of clubs coming up not just going up and hoping to stay up but going up to compete. I hope we go down and stay down until a new owner is in place.

:thup: