Do you want NUFC to be relegated?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I can only think that there's a hidden assumption that the Championship would be a temporary resting place before we bounce back. That could take years. And if or when we get back, the gap between us and the top teams would then probably be even wider, with the financial advantages that comes with Premiership football.

Yep, I think it's quite possible that the damage could be so long-lasting that even a new owner won't be able to make us competitive at the top level again.

It's impossible to say 'yes' to this question IMO, there are far too many unknowns to make a case for the benefits of relegation. The only thing you can say is 'things are shit now'. Which of course is right, but it doesn't really make an argument for being in the Championship.

In a word NO.  Not sure relegation will change anything at all, in fact it will get worse.  Our core of players will simply leave - if they have no desire to perform at this level, what are they going to be like in the Championship?  Even worse.  We will get stuck in the league and struggle to come back up.  Ok, that might motivate Ashley to go but IMO, it might take as season or two and a alot more to get back to where we are now.

I agree that until Ashley goes, we are in for much of the same.  £50M spent in the summer proves nothing and signing another mid table (at very best) coach, is a firm statement to me that he wishes to maintain premiership status and not a lot more. 

Our average league finish under Ashley (championship season and season we finished 5th aside) is almost 14th - year on year.  That says is all about his motivations. Thing is, 8 years of this is finally coming home to roost - our squad is shocking as is the muppet "coaching" them.

Cannot fathom people wanting us to go down, but get the sentiment/reasoning behind it.

We are likely to go down anyway this season IMO, so those that voted yes will get their wish. I am not sure the rest of their wishes will be realised as quickly though, it could be a very long and painful climb back to the where we are now, never mind consistently finishing in the top 10.

Then again, nothing can be as painful as it is now - the club has lost just about everything good it had going for it.

I just think Ashley is not going no matter what. Unless a sheik comes out of nowhere and offers him silly money. Even that is more likely in the PL.

So with that in mind, I would rather at least try to compete at the top and not have to watch The Football League Show.

Where we are now? Where is that? An expensive but thoroughly unbalanced squad put together with no focus on being a successful team.

Our best hope is the club becomes severely unprofitable and is just dead weight for him.

Players are the last piece of the jigsaw man. Good players with a horrible club will end up leaving anyway.

1. Owner/BOD - ultimate decision makers and money men

2. MD - individual in charge of day to day operations. Hires the commercial team, managers etc.

3. Manager & Coaching Staff

4. Players

Until you get 1 & 2 right we'll NEVER achieve anything. Ashley is not trying and he doesn't know how to do it properly anyway. Sacked Llambias, brought in fucking Charnley. Pardew left, happy for us to bring in Steve McClaren. The man does not know how to run a football club. I cba to get angry at crap managers and a crap team. They're the last piece of a disgusting puzzle.

Of course we'll never achieve anything, we'll never achieve anything in the Championship either. I don't see a link between relegation and Ashley leaving.

More protests. More scrutiny. More attention that he hates. Less revenue.

The less money he makes from the club, the more likely he is to sell. The more issues he has with the club the more likely he is to sell.

Get relegated again we'll be left with:

Darlow

XX Coloccini Dummett Mbabu

XX Colback?

Obertan XX Aarons

Armstrong

Much weaker than what we had the last time.

Mitrovic would stay.

Why? And for more than one season?

In a word NO.  Not sure relegation will change anything at all, in fact it will get worse.  Our core of players will simply leave - if they have no desire to perform at this level, what are they going to be like in the Championship?  Even worse.  We will get stuck in the league and struggle to come back up.  Ok, that might motivate Ashley to go but IMO, it might take as season or two and a alot more to get back to where we are now.

I agree that until Ashley goes, we are in for much of the same.  £50M spent in the summer proves nothing and signing another mid table (at very best) coach, is a firm statement to me that he wishes to maintain premiership status and not a lot more. 

Our average league finish under Ashley (championship season and season we finished 5th aside) is almost 14th - year on year.  That says is all about his motivations. Thing is, 8 years of this is finally coming home to roost - our squad is shocking as is the muppet "coaching" them.

Cannot fathom people wanting us to go down, but get the sentiment/reasoning behind it.

We are likely to go down anyway this season IMO, so those that voted yes will get their wish. I am not sure the rest of their wishes will be realised as quickly though, it could be a very long and painful climb back to the where we are now, never mind consistently finishing in the top 10.

Then again, nothing can be as painful as it is now - the club has lost just about everything good it had going for it.

I can fathom it, there is probably more of a chance he would sell up if we were relegated and stayed down so I can see why it's a persuasive argument. But I just don't think that would happen, he's not going to give up the premier league money, I'm pretty sure he would spend whatever it takes to get us right back up, and we'd be able to outspend the lower division teams quite easily.

I just don't think it's worth going adrift of the current premier league sides for a season or two and then trying to catch up with clubs who are already outspending us. It took us this long to get to situation where we actually spent some money this season, if we go down it will set us back years and all in the slight hope Ashley would sell up - which he won't.

We are no closer this season than last to any decent teams. We've actually moved backwards as West Ham, Stoke & Crystal Palace have finished above us for the second season in a row and look extremely likely to make it 3.

With the right management from the top Soton & Swansea qualified for Europe within 3 seasons of coming up for the first time in a long time. Palace have put together a squad better than most in the league in just over 2 years of Prem football.

We've no ground to lose. We are shit.

We are no closer this season than last to any decent teams. We've actually moved backwards as West Ham, Stoke & Crystal Palace have finished above us for the second season in a row and look extremely likely to make it 3.

With the right management from the top Soton & Swansea qualified for Europe within 3 seasons of coming up for the first time in a long time. Palace have put together a squad better than most in the league in just over 2 years of Prem football.

Course we have ground to lose, we are shit butwe're still in the top division. We could be miles further behind.

Yet all it would take is a couple of key players down the spine of the side to make us look a lot better. Wijnaldum, Mbemba and Mitrovic are decent signings IMO, but we needed a big defender and a box to box midfielder with some physical presence.

Regardless of the differing opinions on this - I can't fucking believe we're having this conversation about a club that use to fill us all with so much pride, even with years of constant failure.

It's so sad. :anguish:

We've no ground to lose. We are s***.

Yet all it would take is a couple of key players down the spine of the side to make us look a lot better. Wijnaldum, Mbemba and Mitrovic are decent signings IMO, but we needed a big defender and a box to box midfielder with some physical presence.

Will go nowhere with McClaren. Nowhere with Charnley. The team is the last cog.

SAF wins the league with this current Man Utd side at a canter. The last MD signs the players they want under that era.

Regardless of the differing opinions on this - I can't fucking believe we're having this conversation about a club that use to fill us all with so much pride, even with years of constant failure.

Aye it's awful, everything from the ground to the team and the fans have been completely gutted.

Regardless of the differing opinions on this - I can't f***ing believe we're having this conversation about a club that use to fill us all with so much pride, even with years of constant failure.

Aye it's awful, everything from the ground to the team and the fans have been completely gutted.

Even the 'soopafanz' are almost being partisan for partisan's sake. I don't think they even know why they're being loyal anymore.

The poor standard of the Championship is very fresh in my memory, but I still don't think we'd bounce straight back up. Certainly not in anything like the fashion we did last time, where we absolutely took the piss out of the division.

It's pure crystal ball, obviously, but I think we'd be in and around the play-offs. Those who would stay would probably be good enough to ensure that. But we wouldn't have anyone with anywhere near the same quality as Coloccini, Enrique, Jonas, Carroll, Routledge or Nolan. Absolutely no one. That team was way above the quality of the Championship.

Plus we wouldn't have other galvanising factors that were present last time we went down. Like team spirit.

Staying in the premiership is pointless, we get turned over far too often and you don't watch a team because you want to see them get beat unless you think it will lead to better things. 

Everything about our club is pointless.

Because the last 8 years have been just swell :lol:

The Premiership itself, indeed, is quite pointless. Even if NUFC were the best version of itself (i.e., smartly run, spending 30m a year in transfer fees, good manager, collection of best players outside of the Champions League), we'd still only be able to hope for 5th-7th most years with maybe a miracle season once every decade or so where we finished fourth.

There's no point trying to compete unless you're Man United, Arsenal, or a club with an owner to whom money is no object. For a club like NUFC, your best case scenario if every single thing goes perfectly right for an entire year is maybe fourth and probably not even that. This is not sport. There's no point.

Agree, it's not a sporting competition at all. But then again, had any professional league ever been one? The richest teams will rise to the top.

I used to think American sports was ridiculous. Now I'm pretty sure it's the only way.

Agree, it's not a sporting competition at all. But then again, had any professional league ever been one? The richest teams will rise to the top.

I used to think American sports was ridiculous. Now I'm pretty sure it's the only way.

This. It's amazing. Fuck soccer.

The Premiership itself, indeed, is quite pointless. Even if NUFC were the best version of itself (i.e., smartly run, spending 30m a year in transfer fees, good manager, collection of best players outside of the Champions League), we'd still only be able to hope for 5th-7th most years with maybe a miracle season once every decade or so where we finished fourth.

There's no point trying to compete unless you're Man United, Arsenal, or a club with an owner to whom money is no object. For a club like NUFC, your best case scenario if every single thing goes perfectly right for an entire year is maybe fourth and probably not even that. This is not sport. There's no point.

Wah wah wah.