Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

I don't think it's 'huge' to expect Dwight Gayle to get more goals than Mitrovic and Perez, like. :lol:

Because of what they did in the PL? how do you know they won't score much more at the lower level? Will never understand this considering Gayle has 15 goals in 3 seasons in the PL.

Besides Mitrovic goal return since Rafa came in has been very good, i'm not particularly convinced that Gayle will score and the other two won't like everyone else. There isn't any evidence to suggest that tbh.

:anguish: Never ever a number 9 player. Oh well.

He's as close to one as we've got.

How's that? Has the best goal scoring record or what?

If he stays fit he'll score more goals for us than anyone else this season imo.

Maybe, maybe not. Hasn't been the most prolific so far. Not exactly sure why people are expecting huge things from someone with a pretty average scoring record.

Nobody said they expected huge things from him. Just to score more than anyone else at the club if he remains fit.

That's a pretty huge thing to expect.

Think Perez might be the top scorer actually.

Can't see anyone getting more than Gayle this season, he's an out and out goalscorer, and I'm yet to be convinced either Mitro or Perez are. We should do a poll.

Gayle hasnt scored more than 7 league goals in a season since he was in the conference in 2011/12.. I do think he will have a good season though.

Mitrovic is a goalscorer, he didnt do well in a bad team in his first season but still scored more than Gayle has in a PL season.

I don't think it's 'huge' to expect Dwight Gayle to get more goals than Mitrovic and Perez, like. :lol:

Because of what they did in the PL? how do you know they won't score much more at the lower level? Will never understand this considering Gayle has 15 goals in 3 seasons in the PL.

Besides Mitrovic goal return since Rafa came in has been very good, i'm not particularly convinced that Gayle will score and the other two won't like everyone else. There isn't any evidence to suggest that tbh.

Your point being what? It's not a huge expectation for him to score more if he stays fit. End of.

I think its the use of the word 'huge' that Ronaldo was laughing at.  There's no guarantees he'll be our top goalscorer but to say its 'huge' for him to be our top scorer is a bit strange

I think its the use of the word 'huge' that Ronaldo was laughing at.  There's no guarantees he'll be our top goalscorer but to say its 'huge' for him to be our top scorer is a bit strange

Precisely.

:anguish: Never ever a number 9 player. Oh well.

He's as close to one as we've got.

How's that? Has the best goal scoring record or what?

If he stays fit he'll score more goals for us than anyone else this season imo.

Maybe, maybe not. Hasn't been the most prolific so far. Not exactly sure why people are expecting huge things from someone with a pretty average scoring record.

Nobody said they expected huge things from him. Just to score more than anyone else at the club if he remains fit.

That's a pretty huge thing to expect.

Think Perez might be the top scorer actually.

Can't see anyone getting more than Gayle this season, he's an out and out goalscorer, and I'm yet to be convinced either Mitro or Perez are. We should do a poll.

Gayle hasnt scored more than 7 league goals in a season since he was in the conference in 2011/12.. I do think he will have a good season though.

Mitrovic is a goalscorer, he didnt do well in a bad team in his first season but still scored more than Gayle has in a PL season.

It's just opinion at the end of the day, no one can say for certain who will be top scorer. I' just basing it on what I've seen of all our players, Gayle just looks like a finisher whereas I'm yet to be convinced by Mitro in that department.

Guest firetotheworks

If it didn't matter, there wouldn't be a thread with 11 pages and an announcement made about. The Newcastle number 9 is supposed to mean something to us because it did for years. Having shit performers in it over the last few years doesn't change its meaning. I'm pleased Gayle's been given it tbh. Not against Mitrovic getting it either, as Carroll was given it and improved immeasurably, but I like that Gayle's managed to beat Mitrovic in an argument as a newcomer and have the confidence to take it. Canny impressive.

Did I hear it here first? "Out and out goal scorer" who has scored more than 7 goals in the league once...5 seasons ago...in the Conference? Interesting description.

Aye :lol: I think he'll do well but i don't share the confidence that some on here have for him.

Did I hear it here first? "Out and out goal scorer" who has scored more than 7 goals in the league once...5 seasons ago...in the Conference? Interesting description.

Aye :lol: I think he'll do well but i don't share the confidence that some on here have for him.

Actually that wasn't accurate either which is why I deleted that :lol: Apologies. I'll stop now.

Hope he does well but find the confidence of some a bit weird.

Will Gayle almost always be played centrally then, he won't be put on the wing much?

I'd have given it to Mitrovic personally, but fair do's.

Fwiw I wouldn't have thought so. Rafa's not a young man anymore but I don't think he's old school enough to let things like shirt numbers affect where someone plays?

He'll score tomorrow. Then I'll be in here rubbing it in your faces and you'll be shaking your fist at the monitor.  :angry:

Actually that wasn't accurate either which is why I deleted that :lol: Apologies. I'll stop now.

:thup:

Same goes for the claims that Mitrovic isn't a finisher. He's had one season here, when the whole club was in a s*** state. In Premier League, being quite young. Put him in a functional team with a functional manager, and we'll see. He is a great finisher.

Same goes for the claims that Mitrovic isn't a finisher. He's had one season here when the whole club was in a shit state. In Premier League, being quite young. Put him in a functional team with a functional manager, and we'll see. He is a great finisher.

He didn't show it last season, he was missing some sitters. I don't see how being in a bad team affects your finishing. You get chances, either you put them away or you don't.

Same goes for the claims that Mitrovic isn't a finisher. He's had one season here when the whole club was in a s*** state. In Premier League, being quite young. Put him in a functional team with a functional manager, and we'll see. He is a great finisher.

He didn't show it last season, he was missing some sitters. I don't see how being in a bad team affects your finishing. You get chances, either you put them away or you don't.

Pressure, confidence...there's a lot that can play in. He has shown what he really is about in previous seasons.