Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

1 hour ago, FCB said:

Don't break my heart yet again by reminding me please.

Grayson and Richardson staying on seems big. They should be around the Play-Pff spots again. 

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Grayson and Richardson staying on seems big. They should be around the Play-Pff spots again. 

The thing is there's quite genuinely nothing to play for next season bar the cup/trophy. No point of trying to get promoted seeing as we can't actually go up.

9 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Has that been confirmed?

Pretty much - can't go up til stadium issue is sorted or we move (there's another whole council meeting on the stadium being sold off, coming up soon)

With the takeover of North Shields by North Shields Athletic/North Shields Juniors, my stepdad (who is the kit-man for North Shields Athletic) who hasn’t been out of the house since having a leg amputation before Christmas, is now considering going to North Shields games.

He hasn’t been to a North Shields game since the early 00’s when he took me (The FA Vase final aside). I think like everyone, he lost interest when he realised that the club had no ambition. Now they will have some ambition, and it should be easier for him to access, than North Shields Athletic games.

It will be great for the community to start getting back involved with them, and I think they stand a good chance of loads of fans returning. I think I’ll try to get a few games, presuming they don’t clash with NUFC games. Although I will be on to them to start accepting card payments on the gate, and at the food kiosk.

On 01/07/2024 at 17:44, OpenC said:

Screenshot_20240701-174045.thumb.png.dd39bd10a4b1fcaa556076feb478d5d0.png

In there early before they sell out. £50 for 21 games, can't argue with that like 

Ticket number 001. Assume that means that you are their 1st season ticket holder of the season! Great value at under £2.50 per game mind.

My North Shields supporting mate reckons you are playing them in a friendly tonight at John Spence.

Posted (edited)

Aye I was in there early (I work with the lad who does an awful lot of the infrastructure and support work for them, so I had an in).

Hoping to go to the North Shields game tonight :) will be a step up for Alnwick, I guess they'll find it pretty rough.

Edited by OpenC

So Gateshead are coming to play North Shields next Thursday. That should hopefully get a decent crowd in for North Shields, some good fixture for North Shields really.

4 minutes ago, Stifler said:

So Gateshead are coming to play North Shields next Thursday. That should hopefully get a decent crowd in for North Shields, some good fixture for North Shields really.

I'm going to that one. They've got Percy Main away on Saturday which I would like to have gone to but I'm in Dumfries that day watching Queen of the South v Aberdeen.

I can see me watching most of my football at Non League level next year as NUFC persist with this random ballot carry on.

Just counting up grounds I visited last season and it was;

PSV Eindhoven 9 times

Heaton Stan 9 times

NUFC 6 times 

Gateshead 5 times

Chelsea 2 times

Arsenal once (PSV Champions League)

First time since 1984 that NUFC wouldn't have been top by an absolute mile thanks to the ballot.

Back onto the topic of Shields and by all accounts the feel good factor is slowly returning. They are engaging with their supporters at last, putting on various social events in their clubhouse and have 2 buses going down to their friendly match at Knaresborough in a couple of weeks.

6 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

I'm going to that one. They've got Percy Main away on Saturday which I would like to have gone to but I'm in Dumfries that day watching Queen of the South v Aberdeen.

Threave Rovers Vs Whitley Bay at 3pm in Castle Douglas if you fancied a double header.

I'm weighing up going along to the former, but have been to QoTS won't be bothering with doing both.

59 minutes ago, OpenC said:

I'm at Shields tonight but I'm guessing they don't usually play at this school :)

Nah, that’s where North Shields Juniors and North Shields Athletic, the teams who have taken over North Shields play.

There is a clubhouse there called the 3 Sails. You have a good chance of running into Malcolm MacDonald there.

Left with Alnwick 1-3 up, not sure what ft was. Was talking to a lad there who says Shields are going through a considerable rebuilding but I was really impressed with how Alnwick played.

Shields rolled over Percy Main 0-4. 

Good workout for both teams. 

Good turnout which is good for PM. 

28 minutes ago, BUJ said:

Shields rolled over Percy Main 0-4. 

Good workout for both teams. 

Good turnout which is good for PM. 

They play again on Tuesday I believe.

Their Twitter page doesn’t say cash only, so they might be taking card payments for entry?

Went to Blyth Town to watch Bishop play. Bishop took the lead at first but Blythe made it 2-1 before half time. The game finished 3-2 to Bishop. Olivier Bernard was there apparently, though I didn’t see him.