Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

Canny game, second half was absolutely brilliant. Birtley keeper was unreal. 

One day I’ll learn that it’s always much much colder at Grounsell than outside my Ken as well. Today was not that day. 

52 minutes ago, Disco said:

Canny game, second half was absolutely brilliant. Birtley keeper was unreal. 

One day I’ll learn that it’s always much much colder at Grounsell than outside my Ken as well. Today was not that day. 

Bitter to the core as usual wasn’t it hahahaha.

Unreal match. Save of the season mind. Boggles me how he done that. Watched the goal in slow motion as it happened and how it wasn’t stopped is beyond me.

My lads loved being mascots

Before Blue Star came back to existence I spent a few years going to and enjoying Dunston games. Blue Star came back so felt like I should follow my local non league team so been going to Scotswood a fair bit. Play off home to Horden tomorrow night and dunno if any other oldies remember "Keegans hot dogs"? but they've got a van there  tomorrow with a livery with KK and red number 7s on it. It is Keegans hot dogs after all. Id post a pic if i wasn't so un tech savvy. There was a post in the Blue Star WhatsApp group today where someone said "We are Blue Star not NUFC and anything to do with NUFC should be banned from the club". Surely not wise to alienate fans of both? They run out to local hero, owner and top goalscorer been away to watch the toon in Europe this season. Guess there's always one but it's never felt as welcoming as Dunston. 

Class @Infatuation Junkie, my cold hands are still recovering. 

Huge fan of the managers offering each other outside at HT as they walked off too. Probably the kick up the arse Stan needed tbf. 

25 minutes ago, Scoreboard82 said:

Before Blue Star came back to existence I spent a few years going to and enjoying Dunston games. Blue Star came back so felt like I should follow my local non league team so been going to Scotswood a fair bit. Play off home to Horden tomorrow night and dunno if any other oldies remember "Keegans hot dogs"? but they've got a van there  tomorrow with a livery with KK and red number 7s on it. It is Keegans hot dogs after all. Id post a pic if i wasn't so un tech savvy. There was a post in the Blue Star WhatsApp group today where someone said "We are Blue Star not NUFC and anything to do with NUFC should be banned from the club". Surely not wise to alienate fans of both? They run out to local hero, owner and top goalscorer been away to watch the toon in Europe this season. Guess there's always one but it's never felt as welcoming as Dunston. 

Blue Star seem to do great work for the youth in the West End mind. My cousins kids play in their unders teams and they had Big Joe at their awards night midweek. Be daft to sour that sort of stuff.

Posted (edited)

Blue Star one of the places I should be visiting next year with Alnwick, unless they get promoted. Already not looking forward to the towsings we might be getting in that league :lol:

Edited by OpenC

12 hours ago, Disco said:

Class @Infatuation Junkie, my cold hands are still recovering. 

Huge fan of the managers offering each other outside at HT as they walked off too. Probably the kick up the arse Stan needed tbf. 

Blue Star seem to do great work for the youth in the West End mind. My cousins kids play in their unders teams and they had Big Joe at their awards night midweek. Be daft to sour that sort of stuff.

Aye, they do have loads of young teams which should stand them in good stead for the future.

Obviously I love Nobby but can't help but feel that it'll not work and he'll be gone by end of October, not sure why.

Dunston currently 3-1 up away at Stockton in the NPL second tier playoff final. Looking set to join Blyth, Morpeth and Hebburn in the first tier of that league next year.

On 03/05/2024 at 07:31, Optimistic Nut said:

Wonder if he'll get Olly B involved somehow.

Too busy pouring pints in the Masons.

Stockton equalised with the last kick of normal time to make it 3-3. Dunston went back in front, but Stockton have just equalised again. 4-4 with 10 mins of extra time to go.

Went to Esh Winning today, what a great little ground. A lot of black and white tops in town though, and only saw one red and white. Esh Winning has fallen, marras

It is a shame for Dunston, and I was hoping they would have gone up with them being closer to home, but at least it is another County Durham team going up the leagues, and judging by the size of the town, and the crowds they get, they would likely be able to make more of a fist of it than Dunston in the higher level, and potentially look to push on to the National North. They have made the playoff final 3 years in a row - they lost to Marske in 21/22, and then Long Eaton on pens last year after finishing 2nd, and they obviously just missed out by a point this year after leading for a long time.

23/24

image.thumb.png.8d6b373fafaa7bffa88416ef2083934c.png

22/23

image.thumb.png.3821e8f877695de61b7c6b9c7c6d87a7.png

21/22

image.thumb.png.404ea2f4cc3e9c2ba8e8c3b2df73890f.png

So this will be how steps 1-4 look next year, depending on whether you count the 3 North Yorkshire sides as local.

National

Gateshead (and York)

National North

South Shields

Spennymoor

Darlington (and Scarborough)

NPL Premier

Blyth

Morpeth

Hebburn

Stockton (and Whitby)

NPL Div One East

Dunston

Newton Aycliffe

Consett

Ashington

Bishop Auckland

Heaton Stan or West Auckland (play off final on Monday)

Possibly missed someone, but good to see more representation, and a few new derbies / local matches. I've been to Spennymoor before and went to South Shields vs Spennymoor this year, so might look to make one or two matches next year, and get to a few new grounds, like maybe Darlington vs Spennymoor, Morpeth vs Blyth, Bishop Auckand vs potentially West Auckland, although not wanting to annoy those on here with that one :iamatwat:

14 hours ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Really enjoyed the Stan game on Thursday, as others have said some unbelievable goalkeeping and Schar-esque winner. 

Going much earlier on Monday as that queue was madness :lol:

Organised added gate payments to reduce queue. But aye. Serious queue that for the semis.

Bromley 2-1 up against Solihull. Gateshead won't have a better chance next week in the FA Trophy you'd think, given Solihull will have just played three Play-Off games and on a bit of a downer.