Hull City vs Newcastle United - 29/11/16 @ 7:45pm - No UK TV

HaydnNUFC

Hayden is a better footballer than Coback, however it seems like Colback is a better foil for Shelvey.

It seems like it was only a few weeks ago, where people were saying the opposite.

I haven't seen every game this season.  But from what I have seen, Hayden has been better than Colback and I find this clamour from some to start him, a bit odd.

Hayden is better than Colback in every way imaginable, besides sucking. Colback is pretty good at that.

pretty equal all things considered, i'd just prefer Hayden if pushed

We get a lot more out of Shelvey when he has Colback alongside him doing the donkey work and as Shelvey is clearly our most important player that is crucial. Rafa will have noticed this and I believe that's why he's tended to go with Colback ahead of Hayden recently.

Hayden is more than capable of doing a similar if not greater amount of "donkey work" than Colback.

Shelvey clearly plays better alongside Colback, that much is obvious. Our results are better with Colback in the team ahead of Hayden. When both players are fit Rafa has tended to prefer Colback to Hayden. I tend to agree with him, and not you on this occasion mind.

Should we go up I think we could get decent money for Colback from one of the 3 relegated teams.

Hayden is more than capable of doing a similar if not greater amount of "donkey work" than Colback.

Shelvey clearly plays better alongside Colback, that much is obvious. Our results are better with Colback in the team ahead of Hayden. When both players are fit Rafa has tended to prefer Colback to Hayden. I tend to agree with him, and not you on this occasion mind.

Should we go up I think we could get decent money for Colback from one of the 3 relegated teams.

To people that have been to the majority of games this season.  Would you care to elaborate on this?  As from the 7-8 games I have seen, it clearly isn't fucking clear and obvious and it seems like a throwaway comment. 

It didn't seem like that long ago that there were quite a few people saying Colback didn't have the physical attributes to make up for Shelvey's immobility and laziness, and that Hayden was the better foil for him.  Now, it is obvious he plays better with Colback?  Based on what, exactly?  Recent memory of Colback not being utter shit vs Leeds and actually playing alright and Hayden playing poorly on Saturday? 

Also, with all the rotation going on.  I fail to see how you've reached the conclusion Rafa prefers him?  Shelvey and until recently, Lascelles.  Seem to be the only mainstays.  Everyone else is in and out the team.

When both players are fit Rafa has tended to prefer Colback to Hayden.

That's just simply not true though is it?

Yeah it's not true at all

Clearly Benitez has placed great importance on tomorrow's match so he's going to start with what he feels is his best team. If Colback is fit it'll be interesting to see who gets the nod to play alongside Shelvey.

Rafa rarely plays Hayden twice in quick succession if he can help it because he's wary of burning him out so I don't think if Colback starts you can claim it as some sort of victory that Rafa prefers Colback

.co.uk beta showing Colback has a 90% win ratio. Hayden: 66%

And yet Hayden is miles better than Colback, so I'm confused.

That isn't really up for debate imo. However the theory that Shelvey is more effective for us alongside Colback might have something  to it.

That isn't really up for debate imo. However the theory that Shelvey is more effective for us alongside Colback might have something  to it.

I just don't see logically how that could be the case. Yes, Hayden was awful yesterday but Colback has been repeatedly awful for ages. Dunno, maybe there's something in their psychology that's hard to explain.

Colback has tended to play more in the games where we are setting up defensively which would be the away games I would guess. I don't think it's anything to do with him being more effective with Shelvey, he's merely there to provide a defensive screen in front of the back four, usually when Hayden's been rested.

I just don't see logically how that could be the case. Yes, Hayden was awful yesterday but Colback has been repeatedly awful for ages. Dunno, maybe there's something in their psychology that's hard to explain.

Colback's been decent the last few months, hasn't he?