Steve Nickson - Hired as 'Head of Recruitment'

Figures 1-0 Football

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/steve-nickson-appointed

Newcastle United has today appointed former Under-21s scout, Steve Nickson, as the club's new head of recruitment following the departure of former chief scout Graham Carr last week.

Steve will work closely with manager Rafa Benítez and assumes responsibility for the organisation and management of player recruitment at all levels across the club.

Steve, along with Rafa and managing director Lee Charnley, will evaluate all aspects of United's player recruitment function, including the processes and systems used for scouting players at all levels throughout the club to ensure Newcastle United is best positioned to achieve its targets in this and future seasons.

Manager Rafa Benítez said: "I'd like to congratulate Steve and welcome him to his new role with the club.

"Steve has done an excellent job in the scouting department at Under-21 level and I am very confident that he will bring his many strengths to this new role, improving and building on our first team recruitment strategy, as well as that at all levels throughout the club."

Don't like the sound of that at all, it sounds like he has responsibility for everything.

If he's been at the club before, he surely cant be Rafa's choice. Seems like another cheap internal promotion.

Also our recruitment at U21 level has been shockingly shit for years.

Don't like the sound of that at all. Sounds like he has responsibility for everything.

If he's been at the club before, he surely cant be Rafa's choice. Seems like another cheap internal promotion.

this is a fucking car crash of a post like, rafa is telling you he's cool in the quotes man, give over

Don't like the sound of that at all. Sounds like he has responsibility for everything.

this is a fucking car crash of a post like, rafa is telling you he's cool in the quotes man, give over

Oh, I'm totally shocked that the NUFC media team have not released damming quotes from our manager about how he'd prefer to have *** in the job, rather than giving a huge amount of responsibility to a cheap internal promotion from a bloke who has been fairly shit at his current job.

Our scouting at U21 level has been terrible, this is the chap who has been responsible for it.

does anyone know anything about him, other than this announcement, how long was he with the u21's for example?  how old is he, what's his background

maybe you all know something i don't

Apparently he was responsible for bringing in Ayoze, Aarons and Mbabu. Other then then that, fuck knows :lol:

Our u21 scouting in the last few years hasn't actually been that bad. The vast majority of signings at this age range are speculative and you actually expect the majority not to succeed but Perez and Aarons for example are successes.

does anyone know anything about him, other than this announcement, how long was he with the u21's for example?  how old is he, what's his background

maybe you all know something i don't

Been at the club since 2011, before that was at Blackburn Rovers for 10 years.

Our u21 scouting in the last few years hasn't actually been that bad. The vast majority of signings at this age range are speculative and you actually expect the majority not to succeed but Perez and Aarons for example are successes.

i'd imagine a major part of our problem the last 10 years or so would be the quality of coaching handling the younger players myself, not saying this bloke is going to set the world on fire for us but everyone going apeshit seems premature to me

i'd imagine a major part of our problem the last 10 years or so would be the quality of coaching handling the younger players myself, not saying this bloke is going to set the world on fire for us but everyone going apeshit seems premature to me

I agree. His role will be mainly management and admin of the scouting network.

As Greg said sounds to me more like he's going to be responsible in ensuring we actually have a scouting team for a change, rather than just buying players without consulting the manager like Carr did.

As Greg said sounds to me more like he's going to be responsible in ensuring we actually have a scouting team for a change, rather than just buying players without consulting the manager like Carr did.

Be a change to have a scouting network!

His job was Head of Youth Recruitment, i.e. in charge of that network and management and reporting. It's just an extension of that but as the club has only relied on Carr for so long he will have to work with Rafa to build up that network.

i think it's a sign of the times (on this board) that some are seeing as negative in the space of what 2 weeks carr has gone and been replaced with someone considerably less powerful and presumably less inclined to have ashleys ear, and that rafa has ostensibly given his approval to

Guest neesy111

Hopefully it's this.