Mikel Merino (now playing for Real Sociedad)

Disco

Just another that came to us, did ok and moved on for whatever reason. Every club will have a story of a great who started with them and went on to better things.

Probably us more than most...Tomasson still pisses me off to this day

2 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Just another that came to us, did ok and moved on for whatever reason. Every club will have a story of a great who started with them and went on to better things.

Probably us more than most...Tomasson still pisses me off to this day

Tomasson just never clicked in the PL. Can't be mad at that one.

Dietmar Hamann though... still triggers me.

36 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I am...he was a Shearer torn ankle away from being a star for us. Obviously nowhere near ready to lead like we asked him to do, but a season alongside Shearer and we could have had a world beater, rather than a broken shattered kid who could hardly kick a ball straight for us

Just now, gjohnson said:

I am...he was a Shearer torn ankle away from being a star for us. Obviously nowhere near ready to lead like we asked him to do, but a season alongside Shearer and we could have had a world beater, rather than a broken shattered kid who could hardly kick a ball straight for us

Hamann annoyed me at the time, but we doubled our money on a player everyone at Bayern thought we overpaid for

3 hours ago, Kanji said:

Aye he wanted to leave because the clause anyway; wanted to play in Spain for some specific clubs like. 

Not entirely true. He left Dortmund to join us in order to play regularly. He was playing really well here, got an injury that ruled him out for a long time, didn't get games when he returned so he left to get regular game time somewhere else. Don't think he would have left (at that point at least) if he was playing.

Turns out he 100% made the right decision.

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Tomasson was mismanaged / unlucky with what happened to Shearer and Ferdinand. He should have been Pedros replacement.

Hamann  was another example of Liverpool buying our best players from us, we were one of their conveyor belts for years, so agree that triggers me too. I’d love to rip up FFP and take their talent for a few generations.

On 06/07/2024 at 17:40, gjohnson said:

Hamann annoyed me at the time, but we doubled our money on a player everyone at Bayern thought we overpaid for

Did we buy him for 6 and sell him for 8? Or similar ish anyway.

Those weird blinks aside - excellent player

On 06/07/2024 at 14:27, Kanji said:

Aye he wanted to leave because the clause anyway; wanted to play in Spain for some specific clubs like. 

Funnily enough he wasn't playing that regularly for us by the time he left. Pretty sure Rafa had him on the subs bench for a while although I think he wanted to go back to Spain anyway, not sure which came first.