Joselu (now playing for Al Gharafa)

Dave

Really don't want NUFC to be in a position where a player like Joselu is near our first team and I really wanted to see Mitro be given more of a go, but some of stuff that gets said about him on here is pure hyperbolic bullshit. He's clearly not a natural goalscorer and clearly we need one, but he holds the ball up well, works hard and wins a huge amount of headers.  I don't see as many matches live as I would like but I was at Arsenal the other week and he was one of our better players. He had a good game against West Ham. Yet every game, all I ever read is how he's the worst player we've ever bought etc etc

He was a Stoke city reserve .What were people expecting ?

Not to be signed in the first place for a start

And play with 10 men instead?

Murphy had rightfully been sold as he can't play at this level anymore, then Rafa was messed around by Ashley, Charnley and Barnes. He was a last resort.

Murphy had rightfully been sold as he can't play at this level anymore, then Rafa was messed around by Ashley, Charnley and Barnes. He was a last resort.

Ten men you have Gayle and Mitrovic for a start and for you get in Joselu is certainly no worse that what Murphy would offer. What makes it worse is that the plank has more game time than just about anyone else.

Ten men you have Gayle and Mitrovic for a start and for you get in Joselu is certainly no worse that what Murphy would offer. What makes it worse is that the plank has more game time than just about anyone else.

Gayle not capable of playing up top on his own at this level and Murphy doesn't have the legs to play at this level. Rafa doesn't trust Mitrovic to play his tactics.

Mitrovic seems to have turned into one hell of a player by virtue of not being in the side.

Therefore we needed a new striker, Ashley fucked Rafa about and we ended up with this.

Gayle not capable of playing up top on his own at this level and Murphy doesn't have the legs to play at this level. Rafa doesn't trust Mitrovic to play his tactics.

Mitrovic seems to have turned into one hell of a player by virtue of not being in the side.

Therefore we needed a new striker, Ashley f***ed Rafa about and we ended up with this.

Both are far better than Joselu and if you can’t see that I feel sorry for you. Ashley did f*** Rafa up we know that but to then keep playing a donkey who offers nothing is not the answer. And as for Joselu holding the ball up give over man will you.

Guest Howaythetoon

Gayle has shown he can hold the ball up much better than Joselu and of course is much more of a goal threat. Name me one thing Joselu does to a competent standard because I can’t see anything. I’m not going to slag the guy rotten though because he is what he is, I just do not see what Rafa sees in him enough to keep picking him. Again if I were others watching him play and not getting enough game time myself I’d be pissed off.

Therefore we needed a new striker, Ashley f***ed Rafa about and we ended up with this.

Both are far better than Joselu and if you can’t see that I feel sorry for you. Ashley did f*** Rafa up we know that but to then keep playing a donkey who offers nothing is not the answer. And as for Joselu holding the ball up give over man will you.

But I'm not sure they are in Rafa's system and the way Rafa wants to play.

This donkey that offers nothing was key to our win a week ago today.

Gayle has shown he can hold the ball up much better than Joselu and of course is much more of a goal threat. Name me one thing Joselu does to a competent standard because I can’t see anything. I’m not going to slag the guy rotten though because he is what he is, I just do not see what Rafa sees in him enough to keep picking him. Again if I were others watching him play and not getting enough game time myself I’d be p*ssed off.

Gayle's hold up play today was as bad as anything I've seen in a black and white shirt.

Guest Howaythetoon

Gayle has shown he can hold the ball up much better than Joselu and of course is much more of a goal threat. Name me one thing Joselu does to a competent standard because I can’t see anything. I’m not going to slag the guy rotten though because he is what he is, I just do not see what Rafa sees in him enough to keep picking him. Again if I were others watching him play and not getting enough game time myself I’d be p*ssed off.

Gayle's hold up play today was as bad as anything I've seen in a black and white shirt.

Granted, but then I thought likewise with Joselu. He’s better at it than you would think though given his size and his type of game. Anyway, I don’t want that from him, play to his strengths, i.e his game. Balls over the top, channels, quick inter play as he’s a finisher for me. None of this auxiliary midfield role or back to goal shit.

Guest Howaythetoon

We’ve been linked with Slimani, what kind of striker is he? I wouldn’t mind I’d rather someone who has an all-round game that can help the rest of the players than an out and out goal scorer, as precious as goals are.

But I'm not sure they are in Rafa's system and the way Rafa wants to play.

This donkey that offers nothing was key to our win a week ago today.

Well Rafa needs to change his system as it’s not working unless hopefully the cash is splashed. Last weeks win was a team effort even Ritchie who has been terrible this season had a decent game, but it was Atsu and Gayle who were the outstanding threat even though he did miss a couple of good efforts. Mitrovic holds the ball up better, lays it off better and is a far better goal threat. Is he brilliant no but he is far better than Joselu and playing him is rafas biggest criticism this season. He is terrible and the amount of game time a 4th choice ex Stoke player gets is bewildering.

Guest Howaythetoon

I’m not Mitrovic’s biggest fan, but there is no excuse why Joselu gets so much game time over him unless it’s personal between him and Rafa. He is a liability of course, but beggars can’t be choosers.

We’ve been linked with Slimani, what kind of striker is he? I wouldn’t mind I’d rather someone who has an all-round game that can help the rest of the players than an out and out goal scorer, as precious as goals are.

Slimani is a target man. More mobile and better in the air than Mitro and Joselu but I'm not sure if he has enough goals in him. I think any striker within our price range is going to struggle in our setup though.

perez and gayle should start ahead for joselu - he offers 0% in link up play, pace, goal threat etc...

Rafa's tactics in England have generally always looked to have a strong target man in the side, even if they aren't scoring. Liverpool with players like Crouch and Heskey being the most obvious examples. Allows quick progression from back to front which is beneficial for us currently as we're spending a lot of the game on the back foot and don't really have the quality at this level capable of keeping possession.

If you look at the selection last few games, we don't really have any defenders who are particularly comfortable on the ball. Clark loves an aimless clip forward and Lascelles tries to keep it simple. Then up front Gayle struggled with holding the ball up in the Championship, let alone the Prem.

Unless we completely overhaul our playing style or squad, think we're most likely going to stick with a striker capable in the air up front. Which for all Joselu's infuriating play, means unless we sign someone on loan or Mitro somehow gets some trust back, Joselu will keep getting time.

Unless Rafa was so impressed with how we played against Stoke he goes completely against all of that. Fuck knows. :D