Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It was through his Liverpool connections that he apparently brought Staveley to the table regarding buying Newcastle the first time around in 2017 and Staveley followed up from there again with the current PIF bunch later on after Mike Ashley threw a tantrum and pulled the plug on that first deal.

Wasn't Staveley originally lurking around the Liverpool takeover before Newcastle?

4 minutes ago, magvicar said:

It's fairly simple for me.

When Rafa was at Newcastle I backed him as I do with any manager who looks to get us motivated and having a go.

Rafa started off trying to save us from relegation. It didn't work but 10 games left wasn't down to him failing, obviously.

I backed him and loved him in the championship.

He was backed very well in that championship and we scraped through to the title which was fantastic.

I backed him in our first season back in the premier league but I didn't enjoy a lot of the football and I always had the same back and foorth arguments of him being a defensive mater tactician and if we couldn't score too many we wouldn't concede.

I found it to be part true but not all true and the football was soul destroying at times.

However I still backed him.

It's not like I hated him or disliked him even but I didn't like the way he had us playing and then basically trying to ask for 6 million a season from a club that was struggling financially compared to many clubs.

Of course Ashley has to take a good portion of the blame but I lost a lot of respect for Rafa after that.

Still coming out with utter shite, here.

Look at the squad he had. What did you expect him to come up with?

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

No it is not correct. It's amazing that you are so critical of him without even knowing what went down.

Mike Ashley after messing him about most of his time here over signings, tried to strong arm him into an 8 year deal, which he understandably didn't want to commit to. He suggested and was ready to sign a one year extension for the meantime, which Ashley refused. His contract was up and so he then left.

Any idea what money was on offer for Rafa against what he was asking for?

7 minutes ago, toon25 said:

You're taking the absolute fucking piss here, like.

Rarely do I get riled over posts/posters, but this is complete and utter horse shit. The only reason we have a fucking club with a support base like we have today is because of Rafa.

'Poisoned chalice' for fucks sake. Fuck off.

I never said he was a poisoned chalice for Newcastle. I said he's a poisoned chalice now, I think, with what he did after Newcastle.

Maybe try not to get yourself worked up on a messageboard. You're entitled to your opinion just as I am and not all are going to agree.

7 minutes ago, magvicar said:

It's fairly simple for me.

When Rafa was at Newcastle I backed him as I do with any manager who looks to get us motivated and having a go.

Rafa started off trying to save us from relegation. It didn't work but 10 games left wasn't down to him failing, obviously.

I backed him and loved him in the championship.

He was backed very well in that championship and we scraped through to the title which was fantastic.

I backed him in our first season back in the premier league but I didn't enjoy a lot of the football and I always had the same back and foorth arguments of him being a defensive mater tactician and if we couldn't score too many we wouldn't concede.

I found it to be part true but not all true and the football was soul destroying at times.

However I still backed him.

It's not like I hated him or disliked him even but I didn't like the way he had us playing and then basically trying to ask for 6 million a season from a club that was struggling financially compared to many clubs.

Of course Ashley has to take a good portion of the blame but I lost a lot of respect for Rafa after that.

Yeah how dare he play pragmatic football with his 8th choice bargain basement transfer picks.

These opinions need sending to The Hague. 

1 minute ago, magvicar said:

Any idea what money was on offer for Rafa against what he was asking for?

Rafa wanted a one year extension, what does that have to do with how much money he wanted?

9 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

He kept us in the league looking pretty good at times against decent opposition with the likes of Ciaran Clark and Isaac Hayden in the team. We added Jacob Murphy, Javier Manquilo and Florian Lejeune to the side that was promoted, it was a pathetic summer transfer wise. Look at what other sides have been able to spend. Were he given the tools we'd have been so much better. Why's he not allowed to go to China when many were going there at the time? They were all promised something that the league then prevented.

Obviously as a club we did need to spend better but bear in mind we bought a lot of championship players at the top end of the scale to do a job and it worked.

Back in the premier league Rafa bought in some decent players but not enough but he also didn't get the best out of a lot which I think he could've definitely done, Miggy being one.

But as I said earlier, Ashley has to take his share of the blame but so does Rafa.

1 minute ago, magvicar said:

Obviously as a club we did need to spend better but bear in mind we bought a lot of championship players at the top end of the scale to do a job and it worked.

Back in the premier league Rafa bought in some decent players but not enough but he also didn't get the best out of a lot which I think he could've definitely done, Miggy being one.

But as I said earlier, Ashley has to take his share of the blame but so does Rafa.

Didn't almiron play about 5 games for us under rafa before getting injured for the season? 

8 minutes ago, magvicar said:

I never said he was a poisoned chalice for Newcastle. I said he's a poisoned chalice now, I think, with what he did after Newcastle.

Maybe try not to get yourself worked up on a messageboard. You're entitled to your opinion just as I am and not all are going to agree.

You are, of course, entitled to your (very wrong) opinion.

2 minutes ago, magvicar said:

[emoji38]

Fuck me.

3 minutes ago, magvicar said:

I think it's pretty clear you either weren't really following the club at the time or you just weren't paying attention to what was going on. Reads like you're just making stuff up as you go along.

Just now, KaKa said:

I think it's pretty clear you either weren't really following the club at the time or you just weren't paying attention to what was going on. Reads like you're just making stuff up as you go along.

mackemvicar, more like.

9 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Still coming out with utter shite, here.

Look at the squad he had. What did you expect him to come up with?

Look at the money he spent for the time he was here. It was a decent amount and he could've done much better if he used players better and bought better.

Let's look at his final season with us and see what players he had at his disposal.

We had some decent players at the time which weren't properly used in my opinion. 

Just now, magvicar said:

Look at the money he spent for the time he was here. It was a decent amount and he could've done much better if he used players better and bought better.

Let's look at his final season with us and see what players he had at his disposal.

We had some decent players at the time which weren't properly used in my opinion

Which ones? 

Just now, magvicar said:

We had some decent players at the time which weren't properly used in my opinion. 

This guy man :lol:

Lets see the names of these players then :lol: 

Just now, magvicar said:

[emoji38]

2 minutes ago, magvicar said:

Not to mention Mike Ashley wasn't even giving him any money to spend. Are you sure you it wasn't a different club you were following ? :lol:

Just now, KaKa said:

Not to mention Mike Ashley wasn't even giving him any money to spend. Are you sure you it wasn't a different club you were following ? :lol:

He's defo taking the piss, like. 

Unfathomable as to how anyone supporting this club can hold those views. Extraordinary.

3 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Ashley apologists already. Wow.

He was a wind-up merchant on nufc-forum for years. 

Edited by RS

15 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Rafa wanted a one year extension, what does that have to do with how much money he wanted?

Why ask for a one year extension?

And how much money did he ask for for this one year extension. Any idea?

The squad was an abomination. It’s fair to level the claim against Rafa that he was defensively extremely rigid and that we played a brand of football that was built first and foremost on not conceding. That plays to Rafa’s strengths as a coach/manager and also to our squad at the time. We’ll never know what things would have been like if he’d actually been able to spend but he’s a great manager and with better players we’d have played much better football I imagine. Anyway, Howe is a better short-term

and long-term fit for us and I’m absolutely delighted how things have worked out for us. Hopefully Rafa can restore his reputation as I feel he’s been branded unfairly as a managerial has-been because of his Everton spell 

6 minutes ago, magvicar said:

Before Almirón signed, we averaged 1 point per game in 2018-19. After he signed, we averaged 1.61 points per game. His signing changed our form and way of playing that season, so the comment on Almirón is nonsense.

I don't understand what Benitez needs to take blame for? Swear when it came to net spend we were in the green under him across his tenure. We'd plug player turnover with short termers like Ki or punts like Schär. Some worked (brilliantly in Schär's case, for £3m it's one of our best ever for value signings we've ever made), some didn't because the wriggle room for error on such a small budget is negligible. 

Just now, magvicar said:

Why ask for a one year extension?

And how much money did he ask for for this one year extension. Any idea?

I already told you why he asked for a one year extension.

Don't even bother trying to insinuate he was asking for too much for that one year extension either.

This shit is truly pathetic man. Urgh.