Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

To be fair, he’s got form for failing to turn things around in apparently hopeless situations, so I’m all for it. 
top lad though. Great bloke and brilliant at what he does but Leicester are in a fucking mess. They look like they’ve given up. 

8 minutes ago, andycap said:

He might struggle I can't recall them having a great defense. 

He'll have them very organised and compact, just like he did with us.

They have good enough players that just need organising and a bit more discipline in their play. Two hallmarks of Rafa.

Can't see him going down with a team that features Ndidi, Maddison, Barnes, Kelechi, Vardy, Perriera and Castagne. He'll get them right.

I'm firmly in the 'love Rafa, wouldn't want him back as manager though' camp - we've moved on.  That doesn't mean I don't hold him in the highest regard - his coming to the club felt like a reminder to both us and the world outside that NUFC is actually a sizeable football club, and not one which 'can't compete with Palace and Southampton' (see another Ashley manager).  

The football we played in the last season under him was exciting once he had almiron at the club. I really enjoyed watching our games. Longstaff was on par with rice under his tutelage at the time. 

Whether you liked his style of football or not, to dislike him as a person - when he was the antithesis of Ashley - is something I can't get my head around. Where he went is utterly irrelevant.

1 minute ago, andycap said:

The football we played in the last season under him was exciting once he had almiron at the club. I really enjoyed watching our games. Longstaff was on par with rice under his tutelage at the time. 

Second half of that season when we had Lejeune and Schar playing out either side of Lascelles and Almiron and Perez off Rondon, the football was enjoyable.

Just now, andycap said:

That Almiron, Rondon and Ayoze trio was looking good towards the end of that season man. My God.

Also had that back three of Schar, Lascelles and LeJeune that was looking really good. Longstaff was flying and getting bids from Man Utd coming in.

And then of course Mike Ashley as usual had to go and ruin everything again. 

7 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Did you have your eyes shut for the entirety of Carver, McClaren & Bruce? Rafa's tacics were out of this world compared with those clowns.

A million percent agree with this but with this statement you’ve basically just laid the bar on the floor.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Second half of that season when we had Lejeune and Schar playing out either side of Lascelles and Almiron and Perez off Rondon, the football was enjoyable.

Unreal we just posted the same thing at the exact same time ;D

Good to see someone else still remembers how well things were coming together!

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I'm firmly in the 'love Rafa, wouldn't want him back as manager though' camp - we've moved on.  That doesn't mean I don't hold him in the highest regard - his coming to the club felt like a reminder to both us and the world outside that NUFC is actually a sizeable football club, and not one which 'can't compete with Palace and Southampton' (see another Ashley manager).  

That’s hughton for me

It seems he’s insisting on getting another premier league job. The fact he seems to only be an option for panicking relegation fodder is depressing. It also seems that coach Marsch was preferred over him. Go back to la liga man.

Absolutely adored the man when he was here, but then he left for fucking China and that left a stain that never washed away.

Would've had no problem with him leaving for a top club, but the fact that he had China lined up hurt a lot.

Just now, The Butcher said:

Absolutely adored the man when he was here, but then he left for fucking China and that left a stain that never washed away.

Would've had no problem with him leaving for a top club, but the fact that he had China lined up hurt a lot.

Not having that like, he was let go no contract offered by Ashley. He can therefore go were he wanted 

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

He left because Mike Ashley was messing him about, and he got a great offer from China so he went over there and made some good money.

Just now, The Butcher said:

Why did it matter?

3 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

It seems he’s insisting on getting another premier league job. The fact he seems to only be an option for panicking relegation fodder is depressing. It also seems that coach Marsch was preferred over him. Go back to la liga man.

Leicester have the talent for him to be easily have them top half and pushing for Europe if he keeps them up.

It's a good job for him. Also has already stated eh prefers to stay in the UK near his family.

Not going to have to deal with the uproar and pants pissing from the Everton fans this time around. He's going to make people look silly IMO.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Why did it matter?

Expected more from him. Expected him to stay at the highest level and not to go after the money. He'd already earned hundreds of billions during his time in football.

Might sound daft, but I've never looked at the man the same after that.

4 minutes ago, astraguy said:

I'd love him back as a dof, the man can spot a bargain

Yup. Under Ashley I remember him even saying he didn't care about the size of the budget, he just wanted the freedom to bring in who he wanted with it. And still Mike Ashley was pissing him about. Just a phenomenally stupid man.

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

Expected more from him. Expected him to stay at the highest level and not to go after the money. He'd already earned hundreds of billions during his time in football.

He can maange where the hell he wants to man. What are you on about :lol:

Not as if he couldn't then come back whenever he pleased. 

8 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Pretty sure he said it was life-changing money to his team of assistants, I don't blame him at all for taking the job.