RIP Freddy Shepherd

Optimistic Nut

Had his faults BUT ultimately he had ambition for the club, he wanted us to be the best club and that is something sadly missing right now

His over riding ambition was to cream as many millions as he could possibly get.

Took us from signing Shearer for a the record fee to Guisseppi Rossi on loan which he tried to pass as a major coup.

Where would the club be now if Ashley hadn't came along? The debt was massive.  John Hall knew to p*ss off rather sharpish...

He signed Owen for £17m less than a year before Rossi arrived! Yes, he spunked future sponsorship money on the Owen deal, but you can't say he lost all ambition, transfer-wise later on in his reign.

Thinking back to the day Owen signed, barely anybody didn't think it was a sensational signing at the time. Plenty - as ever - are blessed with 20-20 hindsight..

Guest Howaythetoon

I thought the Owen signing was awful at the time and IIRC so did Wullie. Would have much preferred Anelka who Souness originally wanted for example.

Personally I give Freddie a pass on the Owen debacle, it seemed like the right thing to do at the time, replace the aging number 9 with a world class finisher. It wasn't until we got to know him a little better that he was just here for the money and had all but hung his boots. The aspect of his tenure that I do have a problem with is the general lack of research when it came to his managerial appoints, the incident in the Spanish brothel obviously, the "keeping the  powder dry" pre-season and the way he handled the Bobby firing (not because he sacked him, but when he sacked him with no plan in place to move him up stairs and properly think about succession).

Guest firetotheworks

NE5's desperately trying to find a way to sign up, drop a few casual posts so not to arouse suspicion, and then rip into a decade's worth of pent up shitposting in this thread.

NE5's desperately trying to find a way to sign up, drop a few casual posts so not to arouse suspicion, and then rip into a decade's worth of pent up shitposting in this thread.

NE5 was actually a pretty good poster, his presence is missed, his blind loyalty to FS was hard to take for certain folks on here, but he was always pretty articulate in his arguments, certainly better a stating his case than me for example (not that I'm much of a yard stick), but generally owned Mick, their constant battles were a highlight around that time. Absolutely no doubt in my mind that NE5 was somehow related or associated with Freddie, his bias was too blatant to be otherwise and he kind of disappeared around the time of the take over.

Okay that's just rubbish. He was banned, for spoiling the forum for several years. A highlight. :lol:

Whatever dude, he was in my experience someone that added to this place and toontastic prior to the merger of the two boards, he didn't spoil anything from my perspective, he did go a little too far with "Thick Mick" comments, when you get into personal insults like that you do cross a line. But the fact that people even talk about him mean he did add to the forum, obviously not to your liking, but he's not the only one there.

He got banned from Toontastic as well, there wasn't a merger.

Then what was that board I posted on prior to this one called ? Didn't this one come into being because from two of the most popular NUFC forums at the time decided to join forces, or am I getting confused ?

Guest Howaythetoon

NE5 was a very good poster, but most threads often descended into a debate about FS which kind of spoiled the forum for a while. That said, at the time it was the hot topic of debate and many a member was guilty of getting involved in said debates, myself included. He didn't own Mick though, it was an even contest. He was one of the first members I conversed with way back on the old nufc.nu forum and was clearly an old skool supporter with a vast knowledge of NUFC and football. Keep him away from the topic of FS and he was sound. I got on well with him via PM too so I cannot slag the bloke. The forum for me is a great place, but it has lost some heavyweights over the years and to the detriment of the overall debate IMO. Anyway FS, looking back he was a negative presence at the club towards the end, a very negative presence. Just because Ashley is the devil should not take away from the disaster that FS was ultimately. we we're well shot of him.

Guest Howaythetoon

Then what was that board I posted on prior to this one called ? Didn't this one come into being because from two of the most popular NUFC forums at the time decided to join forces, or am I getting confused ?

There was nufc.nu and Toontastic, nufc.nu become Howaythetoon and that and Toontastic were closed down due to fixtures copyright, eventually they merged to this forum basically, but then forum wars ensued and the Toontastic lot set up their own forum which is kind of natural looking back so today they are back home if you like. More drama than at NUFC :lol:

Was most of the NE5 v Mick posts during the Shepherd era or a while after he'd gone or both?

I only signed up to the forum during our relegation season with Kinnear in charge I think (so about 18 months into Ashley's reign), I see NE5's name mentioned quite often on here but not sure if I missed out on his posts or just didn't go in the threads he used to post in as I can;t remember reading one of his posts

Guest Howaythetoon

Was most of the NE5 v Mick posts during the Shepherd era or a while after he'd gone or both?

I only signed up to the forum during our relegation season with Kinnear in charge I think (so about 18 months into Ashley's reign), I see NE5's name mentioned quite often on here but not sure if I missed out on his posts or just didn't go in the threads he used to post in as I can;t remember reading one of his posts

Mainly before, but after as well. To be fair to him he didn't trust Ashley from the outset.

There was nufc.nu and Toontastic, nufc.nu become Howaythetoon and that and Toontastic were closed down due to fixtures copyright, eventually they merged to this forum basically, but then forum wars ensued and the Toontastic lot set up their own forum which is kind of natural looking back so today they are back home if you like. More drama than at NUFC :lol:

I knew I wasn't going senile, despite the digs. I used to post on Toontastic, it was great on there but once this forum got up and running I didn't feel too much of a need to go back to Toontastic, I didn't even know they had relaunched that place until recently.

Going back even further to BBS days through PRESTEL and rec.sports.soccer.newcastle or whatever it was that was my first experience of this computer based debating, it was great to have folks to communicate with who shared the same passion, we don't always agree but good to hear different perspective and have healthy debates.

Had his faults BUT ultimately he had ambition for the club, he wanted us to be the best club and that is something sadly missing right now

His over riding ambition was to cream as many millions as he could possibly get.

Took us from signing Shearer for a the record fee to Guisseppi Rossi on loan which he tried to pass as a major coup.

Where would the club be now if Ashley hadn't came along? The debt was massive.  John Hall knew to p*ss off rather sharpish...

You're entitled to your incorrect opinion

There's nothing inaccurate in my analysis. And, in no way do I suggest Ashley was the knight in shining armour. It could have been anyone offered Hall the way out and he would have jumped ship.

NE5 once turned a thread about who should be our third choice goalkeeper into a Shepherd/Ashley debate. He was absolutely obsessed with raising it in every thread, and it was tiresome as fuck.

As if you can say reading the same argument, same straw men and same "you haven't answered my question!" replies over and over was a highlight :lol: :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Wow, all of your pathetic wummery aside, that's a real piece of shit thing to say about someone tbh.