RIP Freddy Shepherd

Optimistic Nut

I wouldn't worry, Shepherd will still get the respectful appluase he deserves from everyone else, even if a handful of brain dead wankers with an axe to grind childishly refuse to clap.

Would you applause if it were Ashley?

I wouldn't worry, Shepherd will still get the respectful appluase he deserves from everyone else, even if a handful of brain dead wankers with an axe to grind childishly refuse to clap.

I'd volunteer to be pall-bearer.

That's an absolutely different question. You're comparing someone who loved the club at heart but was also flawed and did some questionable things to someone who has attempted to destroy the club, plastered us with SD logos and relegated us twice in eight years.

That's an absolutely different question. You're comparing someone who loved the club at heart but was also flawed and did some questionable things to someone who has attempted to destroy the club, plastered us with SD logos and relegated us twice in eight years.

He certainly did love the club. It made him richer than he could ever have really imagined.

Point is, some people feel just as angry with Shepherd with our decline as much as Ashley. He did after all insult all of the North East off his tits on drugs, bleed the club dry with extortionate rates such as his warehouse schemes, make reactionary decisions like sacking Bobby and bringing in Souness due to Bobby being too soft (this after announcing it would be SBR last season regardless, meaning the young team we had felt like they could take the piss) and saddle the club with debts it couldn't pay whilst making a fortune when his share went to Ashley. If the club wasn't sold, it would have went in to administration at some point or end up like Sunderland is now. But at least he cared.

If you think that deserves a round of applause, then fair enough some don't (i'm indifferent) I remember him being boo'd to fuck by 16k at the Owen unveiling, wonder if they'll be applauding him as well?

Shepherd imo was milking the club and running it in a manner not too dissimilar to Ashley in some aspects. Things like:

- renting an empty warehouse from his brother for an annual fee that was almost the same as the cost of buying the warehouse outright.

- declaring dividends for himself and the Halls whilst at the same time stating we had no transfer funds. Shepherd used the dividend money to increase his shares in the club iirc.

- utilizing one agent so much that this agent had an actual office in St James', with Freddy's son working for said agent out of that office (i.e. the Shepherd family personally financially benefits from transfers, incentivizing overpayments). IIRC the Shepherds had rumoured interest in McKay's agency firm, but don't think that was ever confirmed.

- terrible managerial appointments, some of which showed zero ambition. It's absolute sheer luck that he had a genuine world class "Geordie" manager in Sir Bobby out there, with emotional ties to NUFC, looking to come home (in the same way we're lucky the situation with Rafa has him here). If Sir Bobby had no ties with NUFC he'd probably have stayed well clear. Sir Bobby is Freddy's only good appointment.

- Messed Sir Bobby (and others) around in the transfer market numerous times, refusing to buy players the manager wanted and sometimes selling players without the mangers knowledge. Remember the Michael Carrick debacle? Available from West Ham for £2m with his contract running out, Sir Bobby made it clear he wanted Carrick, Shepherd offers £0.5m knowing it would be rejected. Meanwhile he was happy to spend big on players he probably had self-interest connections with. Always thought there was something fishy about not wanting to meet Fenerbahce's £8m price for Anelka when the player was desperate to come here and Souness desperately wanted him (iirc Shepherd was offering half that), yet being happy to spunk £17m on Owen.

- Shepherd drove out Keegan imo, think Kevin knew that the Shepherds and Halls Snr/Jnr didn't have the ambitions Sir John Hall initially had and that they were looking to milk NUFC with the flotation.

- Having Hall/Shepherd family members on the "Board" of NUFC, with some of them never actually setting foot in the club (bit like Ashley and his jobs for the boys).

And this is just the s*** we know about. Everything Shepherd did in his running of the club was pretty much Ashley-esque, and I've always felt that Ashley may have bought the club having seen, or been told of, the ways in which it could be milked.

Shepherd imo was milking the club and running it in a manner not too dissimilar to Ashley in some aspects. Things like:

- renting an empty warehouse from his brother for an annual fee that was almost the same as the cost of buying the warehouse outright.

- declaring dividends for himself and the Halls whilst at the same time stating we had no transfer funds. Shepherd used the dividend money to increase his shares in the club iirc.

- utilizing one agent so much that this agent had an actual office in St James', with Freddy's son working for said agent out of that office (i.e. the Shepherd family personally financially benefits from transfers, incentivizing overpayments). IIRC the Shepherds had rumoured interest in McKay's agency firm, but don't think that was ever confirmed.

- terrible managerial appointments, some of which showed zero ambition. It's absolute sheer luck that he had a genuine world class "Geordie" manager in Sir Bobby out there, with emotional ties to NUFC, looking to come home (in the same way we're lucky the situation with Rafa has him here). If Sir Bobby had no ties with NUFC he'd probably have stayed well clear. Sir Bobby is Freddy's only good appointment.

- Messed Sir Bobby (and others) around in the transfer market numerous times, refusing to buy players the manager wanted and sometimes selling players without the mangers knowledge. Remember the Michael Carrick debacle? Available from West Ham for £2m with his contract running out, Sir Bobby made it clear he wanted Carrick, Shepherd offers £0.5m knowing it would be rejected. Meanwhile he was happy to spend big on players he probably had self-interest connections with. Always thought there was something fishy about not wanting to meet Fenerbahce's £8m price for Anelka when the player was desperate to come here and Souness desperately wanted him (iirc Shepherd was offering half that), yet being happy to spunk £17m on Owen.

- Shepherd drove out Keegan imo, think Kevin knew that the Shepherds and Halls Snr/Jnr didn't have the ambitions Sir John Hall initially had and that they were looking to milk NUFC with the flotation.

- Having Hall/Shepherd family members on the "Board" of NUFC, with some of them never actually setting foot in the club (bit like Ashley and his jobs for the boys).

And this is just the s*** we know about. Everything Shepherd did in his running of the club was pretty much Ashley-esque, and I've always felt that Ashley may have bought the club having seen, or been told of, the ways in which it could be milked.

Surely deserves a standing ovation.

He certainly did love the club. It made him richer than he could ever have really imagined.

Never liked his managerial appointments

Probably died of some complications related to Greggs

Guest milburn990

His heart was in the right place wanting success but him and Hall bled the club dry. You've got to take your hat off the way he managed to sell up to a cockney spiv, out spiving him by hiding £100M worth of debt.

Some interesting posts here.

He got involved as a fan, but he fell into thinking that the club's interests and his own interests were identical.

Also struck me as a bloke who only listened to advice that would reinforce his pre-conceived ideas.

His heart was in the right place wanting success but him and Hall bled the club dry. You've got to take your hat off the way he managed to sell up to a cockney spiv, out spiving him by hiding £100M worth of debt.

No contracted debt was hidden, it was in the accounts. The issue was that, on a change of ownership, the debt contract said that the debt could be called in. And once there was a change of ownership it was indeed called in. Barclays seized the opportunity and ran. There has been debate on here as to whether Ashley should have known that would happen. Yes he should - but I don’t think he did. Thick as mince in transactions like the one he did to buy us, no previous experience is my take on it - others disagree I know. But none of us has a fecking clue what was in his head at the time tbh.

No contracted debt was hidden, it was in the accounts. The issue was that, on a change of ownership, the debt contract said that the debt could be called in. And once there was a change of ownership it was indeed called in. Barclays seized the opportunity and ran. There has been debate on here as to whether Ashley should have known that would happen. Yes he should - but I don’t think he did. Thick as mince in transactions like the one he did to buy us, no previous experience is my take on it - others disagree I know. But none of us has a fecking clue what was in his head at the time tbh.

Any sane person doesn't put that much cash up to buy a sports organization without doing their due diligence. He could have easily paid that loan off and then went to any one of his preferred lenders who work with him at SD and gotten a larger loan to offset his equity some and likely gotten some decent terms as it was 2007 when i purchased the club and the world didn't fall apart yet. Only person to blame wasn't anyone but his.

We were more than fine generating our own cash flow to cover that debt or replacement.

Any sane person doesn't put that much cash up to buy a sports organization without doing their due diligence. He could have easily paid that loan off and then went to any one of his preferred lenders who work with him at SD and gotten a larger loan to offset his equity some and likely gotten some decent terms as it was 2007 when i purchased the club and the world didn't fall apart yet. Only person to blame wasn't anyone but his.

We were more than fine generating our own cash flow to cover that debt or replacement.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/brule-omg.gif

Guest neesy111

Our finances were precarious at the time mind.  We made 2 years of big losses previously.  Was rumoured that shepherd was trying to remortgage the whole of our debt.

Disagree with most of that.

In the context of owning a football club would any sane person employ Joe Kinnear twice? I do not think Ashley did any due diligence. There was some due diligence done around that time but it was by a hedge fund who didn’t appear to like what they found. And if we were more than fine generating our own cash flow to service the debt why did Barclays get the hell out when they were earning an excellent interest rate on the debt?

Disagree with most of that.

In the context of owning a football club would any sane person employ Joe Kinnear twice? I do not think Ashley did any due diligence. There was some due diligence done around that time but it was by a hedge fund who didn’t appear to like what they found. And if we were more than fine generating our own cash flow to service the debt why did Barclays get the hell out when they were earning an excellent interest rate on the debt?

There was 2 or 3. One was a fund that I think you wetre referring to, Octagon or Pentagon. All looked at the books and legged it.