Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The more this goes on, the more that curry night looks staged to me.  Very convenient photo op.

Why would they stage it though? ???

To appease fans.

What would Staveley and PCP have to gain from such a publicity stunt?

The more this goes on, the more that curry night looks staged to me.  Very convenient photo op.

To appease fans.

Ashley doesn't give a fuck about what the fans think.

My gut feeling now is that it will still be done but only if we stay up so not until end of the season.

Guest neesy111

To appease fans.

My gut feeling now is that it will still be done but only if we stay up so not until end of the season.

Didn't say it was from Ashley's side......

How on earth does a meeting at a curry house get photographed by a photographer unless it was leaked by someone....

To appease fans.

How on earth does a meeting at a curry house get photographed by a photographer unless it was leaked by someone....

It was a very public curry house like, on a main road and is apparently popular. Probably doesn't take much.

To appease fans.

Ashley doesn't give a f*** about what the fans think.

Because there were three very recognisable famous people in a bog standard curry house.... quick text, social media post etc.

To appease fans.

What would Staveley and PCP have to gain from such a publicity stunt?

Absolutely nothing.

Hasn't it been pretty widely reported that it could be completed at the end of January earliest? Don't really understand what has changed if you don't count some rumours turning out to be full of s***.

Nothing has changed and neither has the fact they want a relegation clause which Ashley won’t accept and that is a massive deal stopper bearing in mind they could lose 100 million plus if the deal was done and then we went down.

I'm sure its not a deal stopper as we'd have heard by now if it was off.

You don’t get it the deal currently is not off but PCP won’t buy the club without a relegation clause and Ashley won’t give them one so that is a deal stopper until the summer as I can’t see either budging. Trust me I hope I’m wrong.

I trust you to be wrong just as much as everyone else. We're all just guessing here.

If the main backer of this takeover is from Saudi, perhaps the continuing news from there is a reason why things have stalled?

This is in the news this morning..

“Saudi authorities have detained 11 princes after they gathered at a royal palace in Riyadh to protest against austerity measures that included suspending the payment of their utility bills, Saudi media reported on Saturday.

The government information service, the Centre for International Communication, said it was checking the report.

Saudi Arabia, the world’s top oil exporter, has introduced reforms that include cutting subsidies, introducing VAT and cutting perks to royal family members to try to cope with a drop in crude prices that has caused a budget deficit estimated at 195 billion riyals for 2018.”

So they were going to spend around 300 million on a football club but now its all off because Cilla is making them pay for their gas and leccy?

It’s been mentioned several times that PCP’s backer could be Saudi. It’s total chaos over there with their Royal family at the moment so it could definitely be an issue.

I think the January window, and the recognised (by Rafa), need to add to the squad, offers a good lever for Ashley to push the price-up closer to what he wants/thinks he should, or can, get. PCP absolutely require PL status, or I reckon the deal ceases to look viable. They have already shown their hand re their desire to increase the likelihood of PL survival by investing in players in January (by apparently offering to do so/recompense Ashley for doing so). He (they?) have stipulated that any January investment is contingent on a price being agreed. Tick-tock the opportunity to strengthen is passing by. Who will blink/fold first?

Guest Howaythetoon

I still think it will go ahead, we just have to be patient. We cannot kind of really buy anyone for serious money while the club is going through a takeover so it will be loan deals until a takeover and if it’s not completed in Jan it will be loan deals only. In short I wouldn’t use our lack of activity transfer wise or rumours of players being linked to indicate that it’s not happening which seems to be the case with a few...

Guest neesy111

I would have thought a multi billionaire could take a club over a lot quicker than this

They will only pay what they think the club is worth, she's handling the money of others.

Guest Howaythetoon

I would have thought a multi billionaire could take a club over a lot quicker than this

I’m sure I read it took Ashley about a month or so and that was without due diligence and him being a cash buyer. Mind there was the issue of shares.

Again, the hold up for me, is the legality of it all.

I remain confident because it seems Rafa is not displaying any angst or anything like he did in the Summer. I’m sure he will accept loan deals only or minimal spend if it means next season he will be working for a new owner with bigger funds. Even if we don’t get anyone in, Rafa will be confident he can keep us up and will obviously do his all to keep us up.

If the main backer of this takeover is from Saudi, perhaps the continuing news from there is a reason why things have stalled?

This is in the news this morning..

“Saudi authorities have detained 11 princes after they gathered at a royal palace in Riyadh to protest against austerity measures that included suspending the payment of their utility bills, Saudi media reported on Saturday.

The government information service, the Centre for International Communication, said it was checking the report.

Saudi Arabia, the world’s top oil exporter, has introduced reforms that include cutting subsidies, introducing VAT and cutting perks to royal family members to try to cope with a drop in crude prices that has caused a budget deficit estimated at 195 billion riyals for 2018.”

So they were going to spend around 300 million on a football club but now its all off because Cilla is making them pay for their gas and leccy?

It’s been mentioned several times that PCP’s backer could be Saudi. It’s total chaos over there with their Royal family at the moment so it could definitely be an issue.

It has also been reported that she has made great progress on the deal since the arrests and such happened. This wouldn’t have happened if those backing her were the ones caught up. It has also been mentioned that her main backer is the person who ordered the arrests.

Or sell one?

No idea why people like to make out that rich people and organisations are happy to spend money if they don't think they need to.

Guest Howaythetoon

Or sell one?

No idea why people like to make out that rich people and organisations are happy to spend money if they don't think they need to.

The people behind Man City wanted us originally but thought Ashley’s valuation was ridiculous.

Or sell one?

The people behind Man City wanted us originally but thought Ashley’s valuation was ridiculous.

There’s been a fair bit of urban mythology about the approach to buy us (and others) pre Man City. What makes you state as fact that our asking price was the/an obstacle? 

Guest Howaythetoon

I think another problem is that this takeover is playing out in the public eye. I can’t remember any other takeover for other clubs being like this. They always seem to come out of the blue.

A combination of Ashley desperate to sell (that sky interview was a come and buy it plea) and us lot desperate for any news, hence why this thread is ongoing despite no real developments or news.

Guest Howaythetoon

Or sell one?

There’s been a fair bit of urban mythology about the approach to buy us (and others) pre Man City. What makes you state as fact that our asking price was the/an obstacle? 

It’s been widely reported IIRC, especially at the time.

Guest Howaythetoon

Can’t recall reading/hearing that. Have heard story re Ashley not turning up himself/sending a minion (probably Charnley), them being offended and leaving.

I’m going off memory, but he basically overvalued us because in truth at the time he had no intention of selling us?