Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester City - 27/12/17 - Post-match reaction from pg.26

Kaizero

That's very hypothetical.

:lol: so you can't ever say "if we had more quality in this team we'd have a better result" ? or something like that, ever, on this forum? Half of our threads are hypothetical ffs.

Guest Howaythetoon

Doubt it, Pep gives his forwards some degree of freedom which Rafa never would. He’d have Sterling playing the role Aaron’s did for example.

City's pressing is the best I've seen in the league, tbh, they knew our players couldn't handle that intensity. There was immediately 3 players on us as soon as we got it.

When you factor in how they set up to dominate second balls, they're f***ing terrifying, especially from a tactical pov.

I thought we did fine and the tactics were totally valid. Save the outrage for something actually worthwhile, man.

Pressing, when one of our players got on the ball there wasn’t a man in sight from our lot so it was easy for a City player, probably the least taxing game they’ve ever had. Agreed about the outrage comment though and looking back over the match I’m angry with one man only for allowing us to become such cannon fodder and it’s all the more heart breaking seeing who we have in our dugout. Who given even half an equal playing field would be capable of actually beating this City team. Takeover please happen.

As soon as someone like Mbemba had the ball, he had 3 going to him. This wasn't just a question of attackers not having players around them, it was everyone on the pitch being strangled and pressured - we couldn't build from the back, nor could we compete up front. Couple that with City's ability to own second balls from clearances and long passes...

As a team, they can pretty much do anything they want, whatever the situation. Seriously impressive, tbh.

Guest neesy111

:lol: so you can't ever say "if we had more quality in this team we'd have a better result" ? or something like that, ever, on this forum? Half of our threads are hypothetical ffs.

You structured it like it was a matter of fact, not an opinion imo.

Your not wrong RE Pardew, but last night we could have so easily been in at half time 3-4 down because of how we set up. The pleasing thing as you said is we never lost our shape or looked like we would fall to pieces. Mind, a few extra goals conceded and I think they would have ran riot. Thankfully they rarely got out of second gear and a 1-0 defeat all things considered can actually be considered a win. Urgh I hate Ashley and modern football for making me think that way. I hate it when commentators call Burnley drawing with Man Utd away a famous result for example.

Agree with you mate. Honestly, we were fortunate for that post and a few other instances - however same stuff happens to us in previous matches too. At the end of the day, our team battled well in the final 20 minutes and even if we're pissed off about how terrible the first 30 mins were, hopefully, our players are at our training ground raring to go this weekend and will get us 3 points versus Brighton.

I'm with you on football though, Heron's post previously was well thought-out - the gulf in talent due the extreme sums of money in this league is staggering, smash & grabs, draws etc are celebrated - we can't even do that because of the man who owns our club. World Class manager has to resort to extreme tactics in the hope the players he has at his disposal are capable of executing the plan and making the right decision more than the wrong. Modern football is shit like that, but sadly is the reality in which the sport stands right now.

Jesus Christ dude :lol: fucking chill

:lol: :thup: People seem to be very uppity after last night's loss compared to most games which is weird given the opposition.

Doubt it, Pep gives his forwards some degree of freedom which Rafa never would. He’d have Sterling playing the role Aaron’s did for example.

It's easy to have an attacking philosophy when you always have much better players than everyone else mind - be interesting to see how Pep would cope with a relegation fight.

Guest neesy111

I think you need to.....

Its almost as if the game is as easy as '442, attack them'.

We did that last night it would have been 4 or 5 by half time. We don't have any real quality on the ball, its that simple.

Rafa knows this.

Its almost as if the game is as easy as '442, attack them'.

We did that last night it would have been 4 or 5 by half time. We don't have any real quality on the ball, its that simple.

Rafa knows this.

Aye. I agree.

Guest Howaythetoon

Who has said to attack them from the off?  I'm yet to see a post that has said that.

But carry on....

I bet you’d replace Rafa with Bilic or Clement eh...

Guest neesy111

Who has said to attack them from the off?  I'm yet to see a post that has said that.

But carry on....

Totally.

Guest Howaythetoon

Your not wrong RE Pardew, but last night we could have so easily been in at half time 3-4 down because of how we set up. The pleasing thing as you said is we never lost our shape or looked like we would fall to pieces. Mind, a few extra goals conceded and I think they would have ran riot. Thankfully they rarely got out of second gear and a 1-0 defeat all things considered can actually be considered a win. Urgh I hate Ashley and modern football for making me think that way. I hate it when commentators call Burnley drawing with Man Utd away a famous result for example.

Agree with you mate. Honestly, we were fortunate for that post and a few other instances - however same stuff happens to us in previous matches too. At the end of the day, our team battled well in the final 20 minutes and even if we're p*ssed off about how terrible the first 30 mins were, hopefully, our players are at our training ground raring to go this weekend and will get us 3 points versus Brighton.

I'm with you on football though, Heron's post previously was well thought-out - the gulf in talent due the extreme sums of money in this league is staggering, smash & grabs, draws etc are celebrated - we can't even do that because of the man who owns our club. World Class manager has to resort to extreme tactics in the hope the players he has at his disposal are capable of executing the plan and making the right decision more than the wrong. Modern football is s*** like that, but sadly is the reality in which the sport stands right now.

The narrow defeat should give the players confidence so that’s a plus.

What pissed me off about Sky’s reaction to our game is they have been a huge and negative contributing factor in the huge disparity between teams and the way a lot of sides now play. Big Sams style of play? Blame Sky because their money has made it all about staying in the league to such a degree it’s the likes of him that guarantee it. Ironically had a Big Sam team played like we did it would have been almost another Big Sam masterpiece. I guarantee Neville hates Rafa from his time at Liverpool. Fuck them.

Guest Howaythetoon

But carry on....

Totally.

Maybe then we’d get total football and beat teams like City comfortably which I don’t know about you, but I was upset that we didn’t. I blame Rafa!

By the same token playing like the first 35 and it could have been 4 or 5 by half time...

But we did and we weren't losing by 4 or 5 at half time. They didn't make all that many clear cut chances all game really and we had one or two that we could have scored from. It was undoubtedly shit to watch and our players wasted possession a lot but had the hold up play been better we'd have executed the tactics perfectly and arguably not have conceded because the pressure wouldn't have been so relentless. It wasn't the tactics at fault it was the gap in quality. I totally get that we're Newcastle United and we don't wanna be seen to be surrendering at home and all that but  the tactics were intended to be victory through a strong defence and just as we could have been hammered we could have easily have snatched something too.

There simply isn't a right or wrong way to go City they're simply that good. We've not gained a result from City but that result was worth more for us comparatively to the remaining 18 teams in the division.

Agree with you mate. Honestly, we were fortunate for that post and a few other instances - however same stuff happens to us in previous matches too. At the end of the day, our team battled well in the final 20 minutes and even if we're p*ssed off about how terrible the first 30 mins were, hopefully, our players are at our training ground raring to go this weekend and will get us 3 points versus Brighton.

I'm with you on football though, Heron's post previously was well thought-out - the gulf in talent due the extreme sums of money in this league is staggering, smash & grabs, draws etc are celebrated - we can't even do that because of the man who owns our club. World Class manager has to resort to extreme tactics in the hope the players he has at his disposal are capable of executing the plan and making the right decision more than the wrong. Modern football is s*** like that, but sadly is the reality in which the sport stands right now.

The narrow defeat should give the players confidence so that’s a plus.

What pissed me off about Sky’s reaction to our game is they have been a huge and negative contributing factor in the huge disparity between teams and the way a lot of sides now play. Big Sams style of play? Blame Sky because their money has made it all about staying in the league to such a degree it’s the likes of him that guarantee it. Ironically had a Big Sam team played like we did it would have been almost another Big Sam masterpiece. I guarantee Neville hates Rafa from his time at Liverpool. Fuck them.

:thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

By the same token playing like the first 35 and it could have been 4 or 5 by half time...

But we did and we weren't losing by 4 or 5 at half time. They didn't make all that many clear cut chances all game really and we had one or two that we could have scored from. It was undoubtedly s*** to watch and our players wasted possession a lot but had the hold up play been better we'd have executed the tactics perfectly and arguably not have conceded because the pressure wouldn't have been so relentless. It wasn't the tactics at fault it was the gap in quality. I totally get that we're Newcastle United and we don't wanna be seen to be surrendering at home and all that but  the tactics were intended to be victory through a strong defence and just as we could have been hammered we could have easily have snatched something too.

There simply isn't a right or wrong way to go City they're simply that good. We've not gained a result from City but that result was worth more for us comparatively to the remaining 18 teams in the division.

I’m gonna accept it for this game only and hope it’s a one off. If we surrender possession to Brighton I’ll be massively pissed off. Start even in a similar vain and it’s again begging the opposition to score and keep scoring.

Guest firetotheworks

It was a privelage to be beaten by this lot....

:lol: Weren't you saying you'd rather lose 10-0? That's some mental gymnastics you've got going on there mind.

But we did and we weren't losing by 4 or 5 at half time. They didn't make all that many clear cut chances all game really and we had one or two that we could have scored from. It was undoubtedly s*** to watch and our players wasted possession a lot but had the hold up play been better we'd have executed the tactics perfectly and arguably not have conceded because the pressure wouldn't have been so relentless. It wasn't the tactics at fault it was the gap in quality. I totally get that we're Newcastle United and we don't wanna be seen to be surrendering at home and all that but  the tactics were intended to be victory through a strong defence and just as we could have been hammered we could have easily have snatched something too.

I’m gonna accept it for this game only and hope it’s a one off. If we surrender possession to Brighton I’ll be massively pissed off. Start even in a similar vain and it’s again begging the opposition to score and keep scoring.

:thup: I'd probably accept it away at these too. I don't think you'll see the same tactics vs Brighton. I think we'll play a lot more expansive football. I too hope.

Guest Howaythetoon

One thing I do love about N.O mind is we can all have a reasonable debate about things and as mad as it may seem to be disappointed with our performance for some like me, this is a place where it can always be discussed with merit. For those that can read anyway.

Guest neesy111

:thup: I'd probably accept it away at these too. I don't think you'll see the same tactics vs Brighton. I think we'll play a lot more expansive football. I too hope.

That is what worries me though, if Brighton sit back as expected I think we'll struggle to break them down.  Though they are very goal shy, so as long we don't make individual errors we will be fine.

That West Ham was such a weird game for how open it was.