Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester City - 27/12/17 - Post-match reaction from pg.26

Kaizero

Guest neesy111

No one expects us to go toe to toe with man city.  But I expect my team to have more than 20% poessession after 25 minutes of the game and make more than 3 passes row, otherwise it's not a contest which it wasn't throughout no matter what idiots might think what happened that last 10 minutes.

No one expects us to go toe to toe with man city.  But I expect my team to have more than 20% poessession after 25 minutes of the game and make more than 3 passes row, otherwise it's not a contest which it wasn't throughout no matter what idiots might think what happened that last 10 minutes.

Idiots. :lol:

Go to bed, Neesy.

Playing the way we did was probably our best shot at getting something out of the game, we gave ourselves a chance at least.  If Rafa had sent our championship team out to attack and play an open game we would have got absolutely mullered, shattering the players confidence and morale, hurting our goal difference and giving us no chance of even a point.

Alright, it's not pretty to watch we'd all love to see free flowing attacking football for 90 minutes of every game but Rafa has to do what he thinks will give us the best chance of taking something from a game and that's what he did.  Nearly worked too.

Fortiter Defendit Triumphans Clade Tenuis

Has anyone even said it was a contest?

We were still in the game right until the end due in part to a bit of luck (they hit the woodwork with 2 long range efforts) and the fact we sat back and played vile football until they let off - not giving them much room in and around the box. That was quite obviously the plan from the get go, it was obvious during the game and then confirmed by Benitez in the post match interview :lol:

People are looking at this as if we threw away the chance of getting something which is statistically almost certainly false. And statistically we actually done far better than we should have, especially considering City actually played really well.

Aarons didn't seem up for it mentally. I've never been that convinced by this player, and both Murphy and Atsu outshone him.

A great 15 minutes from Merino. Hopefully he's back to full fitness and his best form.

A very strange game to watch, and in the end Rafa's tactics were proved correct. We very nearly snatched a draw, which on 22% possession and 6 shots against 21 would have been amazing.

Don't buy this whinging from top team bosses about "only one team played football", if you've had 80% possession it's up to you. If you want to be the best, the majority of teams will set up to defend against you, it's your job to mitigate them. It'd be refreshing to hear a manager come out and say "we expected them to be tough to break down, they were and I'm glad we got the goal to win it".

Last few posts :thup:

RE Aarons - I'd be interested to see him given an opportunity like Murphy, who I think has come into his role more and more as the season has gone on. I think Aarons shows some nice touches at times and has that bit 'fret' locked away in there somewhere. Quite like his attitude as well.

It's so f***ing weird man. :lol:

Wanting us to "have a go" and get embarrassed and take a huge hit to GD and morale amongst the players and the fanbase going into Brighton. A 0-1 loss in whi we could've nicked something is far far better than a 0-5 or 0-6 humbling. If you don't get that, you don't understand football.

:thup:

Astounded at some of the posts on here tonight. It really doesn’t get any more simple than we’d have been hammered if we’d ‘had a go’ tonight with this squad.

We’d all love our team to have had a go, but we haven’t got the quality to do it yet until, please god, we are rid of Ashley and can buy better quality.

The fact is, we were a goal line clearance off a draw here. With this squad. The tactics and game plan were spot on.

I’m astounded that people think the way we played for most of the game was the right way especially the first half. It wasn’t as if allowing city so much space, time and just do as they like with the ball restricted them to one or two chances they could and should have had 5 plus with all the chances they had. You do not allow teams like city to be able to basically walk the ball towards the goal. The only reason we were only one down was due to city having an off day in front of goal.

What do they expect with their embarrassment of riches. The sense of entitlement from these lot is unreal. They spend £250m in one window and then complain when teams defend against them? Arseholes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worst part of their entitlement is the back slapping they get from Sky.

What do they expect with their embarrassment of riches. The sense of entitlement from these lot is unreal. They spend £250m in one window and then complain when teams defend against them? Arseholes.

Worst part of their entitlement is the back slapping they get from Sky.

Part of the larger problem. The media are whores to the money which controls the game. We did what we had to in my opinion.

I was ok with our tactics; they nearly worked. I wasn’t happy with the amount of times we didn’t challenge the first ball around the half way line in case we lost shape and the goal was very sloppy. Another 10 minutes and we may have found an equaliser.

Tactics were fine it just seems strange watching a well organised Newcastle team that follow instructions, I thought Pep took Kompany off in a huff because he didn't need 4 defenders at first but overall I was pleased with how we played, still wondering what Rafa could do with us if he gets a few top players.

Given the difference in resources/quality, last night was nothing more than a damage limitation exercise. We avoided a hammering/any injuries and hopefully morale is still good for Saturday......could have actually knicked a draw too!

Absolutely no complaints from me.

Aarons didn't seem up for it mentally. I've never been that convinced by this player, and both Murphy and Atsu outshone him.

A great 15 minutes from Merino. Hopefully he's back to full fitness and his best form.

A very strange game to watch, and in the end Rafa's tactics were proved correct. We very nearly snatched a draw, which on 22% possession and 6 shots against 21 would have been amazing.

Aarons chance was straightforward for a left footer and if he'd driven it it was in. Atsu is currently way ahead of him.

Rafa tried to condense the game into a last ten minute contest and in fairness he nearly achieved that. Not universally popular but it was the only way that we stood even a slight chance of getting a result and the crowd were right behind the manager and team's approach.

Those saying the tactics were right tonight did you also say the same after the Benfica home game?

Pardew tried to turn that game into a 20 minute match for good reason, tonight we had a free chance to have a go tonight and didn't

I'm more frustrated tonight than I was after going out in the Europa League

If you can't see the difference between this team and that team then that says it all tbh.

I mean we were already f***ing 3-1 down in that Benfica game :lol:

So that just shows we had nothing to lose tonight. We couldn't afford to concede again to Benfica and had to turn it into a sprint. Tonight it was horrible to watch that first half and it was clear that we were going to concede and if it went 2-0 it was game over. I'm just not comfortable turning up to watch my team not try and win a match.

No. It shows we needed to score twice against Benfica. Why would you set up defensively in a game where you need to score 2 goals?

We started todays game with a point to lose. What are you talking about ‘if it went 2-0’? It didn’t. The gameplan worked and we grew into the game late on and could have got something.

:lol: Still trying to work out the logic behind the comparison. Total nonsense.

Wanting us to "have a go" and get embarrassed and take a huge hit to GD and morale amongst the players and the fanbase going into Brighton. A 0-1 loss in whi we could've nicked something is far far better than a 0-5 or 0-6 humbling. If you don't get that, you don't understand football.

Astounded at some of the posts on here tonight. It really doesn’t get any more simple than we’d have been hammered if we’d ‘had a go’ tonight with this squad.

We’d all love our team to have had a go, but we haven’t got the quality to do it yet until, please god, we are rid of Ashley and can buy better quality.

The fact is, we were a goal line clearance off a draw here. With this squad. The tactics and game plan were spot on.

I’m astounded that people think the way we played for most of the game was the right way especially the first half. It wasn’t as if allowing city so much space, time and just do as they like with the ball restricted them to one or two chances they could and should have had 5 plus with all the chances they had. You do not allow teams like city to be able to basically walk the ball towards the goal. The only reason we were only one down was due to city having an off day in front of goal.

Or maybe our defence and GK were able to restrict them to shots from distance and half-chances from awkward angles. Not having that like. Apart from two good saves by Elliott, I don't remember them missing any glaring chances.

Good gameplan, 90% executed correctly and almost got something out of it. Goal difference could also be key so we looked after ourselves though the media wanted us to open up, get hammered so they could take the piss out of us and wank over citeh.

We did the smart thing and have some key players rested for Brighton where we will be much more competitive and have a chance of a win.

Also would take the same narrow defeat when we play citeh again. No shame in it.

Or maybe our defence and GK were able to restrict them to shots from distance and half-chances from awkward angles. Not having that like. Apart from two good saves by Elliott, I don't remember them missing any glaring chances.

Yeah, Gary Neville kept on going on about how they should have had 4 or 5 but had an off day in front of goal. I genuinely can't remember them wasting many clear chances at all.

Strikes me as quite a clever gameplan against this lot and I wouldn't be surprised to see other teams at the arse end of the table try and execute it in the next few weeks - defend resolutely, let them have a one goal lead so the battering isn't relentless, then try and pinch a goal and a point in the last ten minutes.

You've probably got more chance of a point if you're attacking them on 85 minutes needing one goal, then having them coming at you with the score 1-1 at the same stage, based on their relentless nature this season when they really need a goal.

Not pretty like and not particularly heartening to have to resort to such tactics at home but this Man City side are to be treated as a special case.