Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester City - 27/12/17 - Post-match reaction from pg.26

Kaizero

Do both sides not realise there's room to be more aggressive or more defensive on both sides?  It's not that black and white.

Obviously, the problem is with people like Gary Neville sulking at the negativity of the tactics as if us opening up a bit more would definitely have been of benefit to us. He just wanted a more open game so he could wax lyrical about his Manc brothers.

Gary Neville pretty much could have written this Manure ditty and no doubt sings with gusto (even if under his breath):

Build a bonfire,

Build a bonfire,

Put the Scousers on the top,

Put the City in the middle,

And we'll burn the f*cking lot...

Some people on here seem to have very short memories.

Pardew tried to nullify much better teams than us, but couldn't organise the team as well as Rafa did tonight.

Everyone at the game tonight appreciated the team's effort and we certainly had the best team, most of us have ever seen, rattled for a short while.

Now on to Saturday and the really big game of the week.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

Nowt wrong with the tactics, we just weren't good enough to use the ball well when we got possession.

Fully agree with this.

I don't know why it's hard for people to understand, he had outlets ready to break but they didn't get the ball or squandered it. Everyone's been jizzing over city and they've been destroying everyone....we've just come off a bad run and the players were probably sh1tting it. Got to half time only 1-0, they settled down and made a reasonable go of it.

We set up the only way that gave us even a remote chance of a result. Not many would have seen the game being poised the way it was at 90 minutes, so arguably our tactics were correct.

Aarons drives that ball it's in. It was very straightforward for a left footer.

The crowd were very patient and supportive right to the end. They knew what we were up against and what we were doing - a million miles from the "rather get beaten 4-3" cliche.

Guest firetotheworks

Those saying the tactics were right tonight did you also say the same after the Benfica home game?

Pardew tried to turn that game into a 20 minute match for good reason, tonight we had a free chance to have a go tonight and didn't

I'm more frustrated tonight than I was after going out in the Europa League

If you can't see the difference between this team and that team then that says it all tbh.

The Man City players were clearly rattled by the home crowd in those last ten minutes or so. Hearing that roar at every throw in or every free kick was magical. The Man City players have not heard that this season and they were clearly definitely feeling it.

Those saying the tactics were right tonight did you also say the same after the Benfica home game?

Pardew tried to turn that game into a 20 minute match for good reason, tonight we had a free chance to have a go tonight and didn't

If you can't see the difference between this team and that team then that says it all tbh.

I mean we were already fucking 3-1 down in that Benfica game :lol:

Are you for real, man? Fucking rectangle.

Tell you what, I haven't half missed Paul Dummett's laboured howks down the line. Ye kna the ones where he somehow goes backwards before hoofing it?

Never seen anyone put more backspin on a football since Heza.

I mean we were already f***ing 3-1 down in that Benfica game :lol:

So that just shows we had nothing to lose tonight. We couldn't afford to concede again to Benfica and had to turn it into a sprint. Tonight it was horrible to watch that first half and it was clear that we were going to concede and if it went 2-0 it was game over. I'm just not comfortable turning up to watch my team not try and win a match.

So that just shows we had nothing to lose tonight. We couldn't afford to concede again to Benfica and had to turn it into a sprint. Tonight it was horrible to watch that first half and it was clear that we were going to concede and if it went 2-0 it was game over. I'm just not comfortable turning up to watch my team not try and win a match.

:lol:

If Gayle's header went in, would you be complaining?

Agree tbh.

They did, but against a team like Man City at the minute you can't go toe to toe. Tactics were to stay in it then go for it at the end, the Benfica analogy is cack and doesn't work as they are completely different situations.

No. It shows we needed to score twice against Benfica. Why would you set up defensively in a game where you need to score 2 goals?

We started todays game with a point to lose. What are you talking about ‘if it went 2-0’? It didn’t. The gameplan worked and we grew into the game late on and could have got something.

The game plan didn't work we lost

Sometimes the opposition is a lot better than you, You can get it right and still lose (and FFS I'm known as a Rafa critic!)

Sometimes (always) the game isn't played on paper and the best team on the day wins. We never gave ourselves a chance to be the better team on the day and that's the frustrating aspect.