Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester City - 27/12/17 - Post-match reaction from pg.26

Kaizero

The game plan didn't work we lost

Sometimes the opposition is a lot better than you, You can get it right and still lose (and FFS I'm known as a Rafa critic!)

Sometimes (always) the game isn't played on paper and the best team on the day wins. We never gave ourselves a chance to be the better team on the day and that's the frustrating aspect.

Are you 12?

The game plan didn't work we lost

Sometimes the opposition is a lot better than you, You can get it right and still lose (and FFS I'm known as a Rafa critic!)

Sometimes (always) the game isn't played on paper and the best team on the day wins. We never gave ourselves a chance to be the better team on the day and that's the frustrating aspect.

So you'd have done what ? If we'd went toe to toe with them we'd have been embarassed....hey but you'd still have your whinge.

geordie_b, I swear you were a rational, normal poster. Now you're expecting us to have brought the game to Man City. Howay man. :lol:

The tactics tonight were almost spot on. It nearly paid off. I can almost guarantee we'd have been torn apart had we gone for them.

It's so f***ing weird man. :lol:

Wanting us to "have a go" and get embarrassed and take a huge hit to GD and morale amongst the players and the fanbase going into Brighton. A 0-1 loss in which we could've nicked something is far far better than a 0-5 or 0-6 humbling. If you don't get that, you don't understand football.

Guest firetotheworks

Those saying the tactics were right tonight did you also say the same after the Benfica home game?

Pardew tried to turn that game into a 20 minute match for good reason, tonight we had a free chance to have a go tonight and didn't

I'm more frustrated tonight than I was after going out in the Europa League

If you can't see the difference between this team and that team then that says it all tbh.

I mean we were already f***ing 3-1 down in that Benfica game [emoji38]

So that just shows we had nothing to lose tonight. We couldn't afford to concede again to Benfica and had to turn it into a sprint. Tonight it was horrible to watch that first half and it was clear that we were going to concede and if it went 2-0 it was game over. I'm just not comfortable turning up to watch my team not try and win a match.

Honestly man, I get where you're coming from, but for me there are two big things at play here - probably the lowest quality players I've seen us have in this division (which, crucially, includes two squads that have been relegated) and probably the best level of football quality, cohesion, intelligence etc, even if it's not been for a sustained period, that I've ever seen before in this division. By contrast Pardew had, imo, for all of its suggested faults about square pegs and round holes, the best post-Robson squad I've seen, against a Benfica side that were fine, but nothing special. For me the comparison, as well as the weird 'If Pardew had done X' argument that keeps coming up, is non-existent. We lost 0-1 to a team that are ripping much better teams to shreds, I know it doesn't feel right to think that's good, but until we hopefully become one of those better teams under Rafa, it kind of is.

Not asking us to go toe to toe but tonight was too negative, too submissive. We didn't give ourselves a chance. In the first half we just sat there with no aggression and just waited. It wasn't tactics that meant it was 1-0 late on it was their poor finishing. Were you happier the way we played at Old Trafford in the first half or in tonight's? Clearly there was always going to be a gulf in class but upsets happen but only if you give yourself a chance

Man City are far better than Man United. They're world class. One of the favourites for the Champions League ffs. Tonight is what we have to do in order to give ourselves a chance of getting a result. Don't like it? Don't go to the game or watch the game then. It was obvious how we were going to play and we could've gotten something from the game. I'm proud of the team and Rafa for that. Man City will hammer far better teams than us before the end of the season.

Not asking us to go toe to toe but tonight was too negative, too submissive. We didn't give ourselves a chance. In the first half we just sat there with no aggression and just waited. It wasn't tactics that meant it was 1-0 late on it was their poor finishing. Were you happier the way we played at Old Trafford in the first half or in tonight's? Clearly there was always going to be a gulf in class but upsets happen but only if you give yourself a chance

Have you seen the difference between how the two Manchester teams play and how the red one set up against the blue one ?

Man City are far better than Man United. They're world class. One of the favourites for the Champions League ffs. Tonight is what we have to do in order to give ourselves a chance of getting a result. Don't like it? Don't go to the game or watch the game then. It was obvious how we were going to play and we could've gotten something from the game. I'm proud of the team and Rafa for that. Man City will hammer far better teams than us before the end of the season.

When?

When?

Gayle's header. Aarons' chip. Gayle deciding to go down instead of getting a shot off. The pressure on their goal in the last 10.

When?

Gayle's header. Aarons' chip. Gayle deciding to go down instead of getting a shot off. The pressure on their goal in the last 10.

Half chances. They are massively above us and in all honesty should've been out of sight by HT.

If we'd got one in the first half/midway through the second half I've little doubt they'd have stepped it up again and cut us open.

It's so f***ing weird man. :lol:

Wanting us to "have a go" and get embarrassed and take a huge hit to GD and morale amongst the players and the fanbase going into Brighton. A 0-1 loss in whi we could've nicked something is far far better than a 0-5 or 0-6 humbling. If you don't get that, you don't understand football.

:thup:

Astounded at some of the posts on here tonight. It really doesn’t get any more simple than we’d have been hammered if we’d ‘had a go’ tonight with this squad.

We’d all love our team to have had a go, but we haven’t got the quality to do it yet until, please god, we are rid of Ashley and can buy better quality.

The fact is, we were a goal line clearance off a draw here. With this squad. The tactics and game plan were spot on.

I guess some people would expect a fly weight boxer to come out swinging against a heavyweight?

Pep complaining teams aren't playing against his team. It would be interesting to see how he did if he wasn't always managing the best, most expensively assembled teams in the world.

The wankers at Sky unhappy because it wasn't entertaining for "neutral" watchers. Are you not entertained? Sorry it wasn't the drubbing you were hoping for.

Guest firetotheworks

In a way I like that people's demand from Newcastle is to still stand toe to toe to an extent with the best, but surely there's a limit, and surely you can see Rafa's idea? That's an aside from how incredible Man City are.

I would want us to 'have a go' if we were in better nick like, but coming off the back of 1 win in 10 I was happy with a gritty performance leading us into the Brighton game with a near fresh XI. We spent the last 25 minutes trying to grab an equaliser too, it's not like we just lay down, we're just shite.

Hopefully on the return leg we actually have a Premiership quality offensive line and will try to hit them harder on the break.

The wankers at Sky unhappy because it wasn't entertaining for "neutral" watchers. Are you not entertained? Sorry it wasn't the drubbing you were hoping for.

It's easier to criticise Rafa's tactics for devaluing your product than to turn the eye on yourself and wonder if you are in fact corrupting your entire brand. As stated during the match: This vast discrepancy in quality between the top and the bottom is the effect of the Sky System of elite clubs and the rest.

Man Utd have spent almost £300m (same as our club is rumoured to be worth) in the last 18 months and still employed the same tactics as us, and failed in doing so.

They were rightly criticised for that too, if we had the same team as Man Utd and Rafa took the same approach as Mourinho I'd have been angry.

As it is we have a load of championship standard crap and the approach was justified.

Man Utd have spent almost £300m (same as our club is rumoured to be worth) in the last 18 months and still employed the same tactics as us, and failed in doing so.

They were rightly criticised for that too, if we had the same team as Man Utd and Rafa took the same approach as Mourinho I'd have been angry.

As it is we have a load of championship standard crap and the approach was justified.

That was my point like, that not even the second best team in the league that has outspent them (I think?) stood a chance.