Newcastle United 0 - 0 Brighton - 30/12/17 - Post-wank discussion from pg 17

Dave

I almost always agree with you Figures, but we didn't look good going forward today like.

We didn't but our defence nullified their attack and we actually forced their keeper inot making a couple of good saves.

Clean Sheet, and clean sheets will keep us up if Fat Sham is to be believed.

True, but walking out of the ground today I couldn't find anything positive about that other than the fact we didn't get beat. Onto Stoke and all the rest of it, but we desperately need additions to the front 6.

Aye, but I've had 4 hours to think and reflect and calm down, go to ASDA and buy beer and Pizza before posting on here.

Our support was absolutely embarrassing today like, totally pathetic. What did they expect? A stroll in the park to a 3-0 win? We were the better side, created the better chances and if it wasn’t for their keeper making 2 great saves, we’d have won.

We restricted Brighton to next to fuck all, defended well and looked good going forward. Absolutely pathetic to boo at HT and FT, even more pathetic to groan every time a pass goes backwards rather than forwards As for giving Darlow shit for slow distribution, has it possibly crossed anyones mind that as both of our keepers do it, maybe it’s an instruction from the manager - to allow ourselves to get back into our own shape and prevent a counter attack if we lose the ball.

I personally thought we did well, but Brighton were well organised defensively and difficult to break down

An okay point, providing it’s followed up with 4-6 points over the next two games.

Wow, in a minority of 1 with that assessment.

How many saves did Darlow have to make compared to Ryan?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42410976

Proper goal saving saves though??? I can think of one in the 2nd half.

I said after the city game the atmosphere was awful. I honestly think a lot of our fans play too much fifa. They think you can just press the opposition for the full 90mins.  Also the booing especially at half time was fucking embarrassing..

Guest neesy111

Our support was absolutely embarrassing today like, totally pathetic. What did they expect? A stroll in the park to a 3-0 win? We were the better side, created the better chances and if it wasn’t for their keeper making 2 great saves, we’d have won.

We restricted Brighton to next to fuck all, defended well and looked good going forward. Absolutely pathetic to boo at HT and FT, even more pathetic to groan every time a pass goes backwards rather than forwards As for giving Darlow shit for slow distribution, has it possibly crossed anyones mind that as both of our keepers do it, maybe it’s an instruction from the manager - to allow ourselves to get back into our own shape and prevent a counter attack if we lose the ball.

I personally thought we did well, but Brighton were well organised defensively and difficult to break down

An okay point, providing it’s followed up with 4-6 points over the next two games.

There was one 1st half, and then the decent one 2nd half.

If you're going to be pedantic, I wouldn't call the deflected Hayden chance as being a chance we created.

If you're going to be pedantic, I wouldn't call the deflected Hayden chance as being a chance we created.

LOL

Look, it was a poor game but looking at it afterwards we did create a couple of decent chances and kept a clean sheet.

As the skipper says, we go again Monday.

I said after the city game the atmosphere was awful. I honestly think a lot of our fans play too much fifa. They think you can just press the opposition for the full 90mins.  Also the booing especially at half time was f***ing embarrassing..

Really? I thought it was canny. The crowd realised what we are and what we had to do as a result that night, I thought.

The booing like from today isn't on though. I can understand boos if players are blatantly not trying, but this bunch of players are. They're just not good enough, that's not their fault.

I said after the city game the atmosphere was awful. I honestly think a lot of our fans play too much fifa. They think you can just press the opposition for the full 90mins.  Also the booing especially at half time was f***ing embarrassing..

Really? I thought it was canny. The crowd realised what we are and what we had to do as a result that night, I thought.

The booing like from today isn't on though. I can understand boos if players are blatantly not trying, but this bunch of players are. They're just not good enough, that's not their fault.

Where do you’s sit? It’s a million times better in the Gallowgate end upper and we need all the help we can get.

Where do you’s sit? It’s a million times better in the Gallowgate end upper and we need all the help we can get.

I'm in block L of the East Stand. Atmosphere gets around to my bit though it's mostly from the lads in the Gallowgate I can hear. For a big game and/or big pre match piss up the atmosphere in my bit can be alreet. Most of the time though, it's dead.

Thought the atmosphere was ok but these performances suck the life out of the crowd. It's hard to get excited when you're sat there bored rigid. 5 home defeats in a row before today, now 6 home games without a win and we've only managed to score in one of those six games. I can't remember a run like that in the 35 years I've been supporting NUFC.

I'm in block L of the East Stand. Atmosphere gets around to my bit though it's mostly from the lads in the Gallowgate I can hear. For a big game and/or big pre match piss up the atmosphere in my bit can be alreet. Most of the time though, it's dead.

I'm in the family enclosure at the moment. To be fair the lads in the Gallowgate try to get things going constantly and do a grand job. It's more of the negative atmosphere rather than a poor atmosphere.. Perhaps I'm not explaining myself clearly  :lol: I'm just disappointed with the negativity at the moment.

I was in the east stand today and it just seemed like the crowd in that area are nervous and sensitive to errors. Any mistake is greeted with howls and gnashing of teeth and it has to affect the players on some level. I’m not saying the crowd there are causing the problems, but it won’t be helping.

The Gallowgate were excellent, didn’t stop singing the whole game.

Guest neesy111

I was in the east stand today and it just seemed like the crowd in that area are nervous and sensitive to errors. Any mistake is greeted with howls and gnashing of teeth and it has to affect the players on some level. I’m not saying the crowd there are causing the problems, but it won’t be helping.

it's the howls when the ball goes back sometimes that does my head in?  Some just expect the ball to go forward for the whole game.

Guest Howaythetoon

To be fair to the fans, what the match going fans have put up with for over a decade, they are fairly restrained and I think it’s good to let players and the manager know that today for example isn’t good enough. Rafa’s not stupid he will take it on board and understand frustrations. At the end of the day it’s up to them to keep fans onside not the other way around because before kick-off that’s what the fans are, onside.

it's the howls when the ball goes back sometimes that does my head in?  Some just expect the ball to go forward for the whole game.

Yeah, there was a lot of that today.

Same in the Milburn. People going nuts about backwards passes but equally as critical when an attempt to move the ball forward didn't come off. I can't imagine it's an enjoyable atmosphere to play in at the moment.

It's quite clear that most of our players aren't good enough but (some of) the crowd don't seem to give them any leeway at all.

Guest Howaythetoon

Same in the Milburn. People going nuts about backwards passes but equally as critical when an attempt to move the ball forward didn't come off. I can't imagine it's an enjoyable atmosphere to play in at the moment.

It's quite clear that most of our players aren't good enough but (some of) the crowd don't seem to give them any leeway at all.

They’ve been given all the support in the world this season to be fair and while moans and groans don’t help, some of it is justified. Another season, another team, another manager, and there would be hell on after our recent run of form, performances and the way we payed today. Well maybe not, I was there against Hull when we drew 2-2 which should have finished Pardew. But I was there at home to Cardiff likewise where the manager couldn’t even stand up. It’s give and take remember.

Yeah, there was a lot of that today.

It’s not going to help like and some fans make more noise moaning than supporting.

At the same time, I really think the players came out looking like scared kittens from the start and they need to find more from within themselves. They didn’t rouse themselves. There’s good support from the Gallowgate like I said. Playing with fear is only going to bring on anxiety from the crowd. They need to shake this fear from their bloody minds because like I said I think that’s nearly as much of a problem as the quality.

for those criticisng the crowd - how long can you expect people to keep getting behind the lads 100% despite seeing what we saw today at home against a poor brighton team, and previously against an even shitter team in everton.

cannot expect people to go on being absolutely positive all the time.

something has to come from the pitch. the crowd aways start positively but we need something back to keep it going. after how many games are people allowed to start giving players stick.

i can understand why some of our crowd are starting to turn and get frustrated.

It's a criticism of parts of the crowd, not all of it. Why turn on the players? is my response to that. Ashley is where the entirety of the turning should be. Booing the team at half time and during the match is self defeating, as frustrating as it undoubtedly is. Again, I'd go back to the whole 'we don't demand a team that wins...' stuff. If trying is what's actually demanded, then why are people still groaning and booing when they're clearly trying? Collectively it's a difficult thing to change, but we need to realise that SJP is known for being the place where the opposition look to get the crowd to turn against us, presumably because it's unique to us, and a good way of getting a win.

Easy to say when you're sat in the warm watching on an internet stream. In reality when you've paid £100s to sit in the freezing cold watching absolute rubbish the patience of the most placid of people is tested, as was the case today.

I hate Planet Soft Cunters, it was between +6 and +7 Celsius during the game ffs. :lol:

I don't know if I want to criticize the crowd for being restless but they certainly aren't helping the home team right now with their constant moans and groans.

They’ve been given all the support in the world this season to be fair and while moans and groans don’t help, some of it is justified. Another season, another team, another manager, and there would be hell on after our recent run of form, performances and the way we payed today. Well maybe not, I was there against Hull when we drew 2-2 which should have finished Pardew. But I was there at home to Cardiff likewise where the manager couldn’t even stand up. It’s give and take remember.

But this isn't another season. It's this season and the manager isn't Alan Pardew. No idea what point you were trying to make there.

I think the boos at the end were beyond embarrassing. This is a poor team lacking in confidence and letting them know that with a 'kick up the arse' in the form of booing makes no sense to me on any level.

Guest Howaythetoon

But this isn't another season. It's this season and the manager isn't Alan Pardew. No idea what point you were trying to make there.

I think the boos at the end were beyond embarrassing. This is a poor team lacking in confidence and letting them know that with a 'kick up the arse' in the form of booing makes no sense to me on any level.

Embarrassing was the way fans behaved towards Pardew when we drew 2-2 with Hull, this isn’t embarrassing, it’s natural and more about overall frustrations than any angst towards the manager and players. It doesn’t help of course accepted, but the way we played today, the lack of urgency and threat given how important a game it was, the muted dissent and let’s be honest that’s what it was is understandle if not needed. But hey let’s kick the fans...

Embarrassing was the way fans behaved towards Pardew when we drew 2-2 with Hull, this isn’t embarrassing, it’s natural and more about overall frustrations than any angst towards the manager and players. It doesn’t help of course accepted, but the way we played today, the lack of urgency and threat given how important a game it was, the muted dissent and let’s be honest that’s what it was is understandle if not needed. But hey let’s kick the fans...

I think booing your own team should only happen in exceptional circumstances. Grown men and women should be able to keep their emotions in check enough to hold it in at full time and move on unless something truly, staggeringly awful has just taken place.

Helps absolutely no one.

Guest Howaythetoon

I do agree, but this is reality, grown men and women boo and show major hysteria at times. Someone in here just a few hours ago even suggested a change in manager might help FFS... that’s the human condition when it comes to emotion. Shows people care I guess!