Newcastle United 0 - 0 Brighton - 30/12/17 - Post-wank discussion from pg 17

Dave

And why do you think it's a myth?

Players half-arsed tracking back, nobody willing to take responsibility in the middle of the park, half arsed casual passing, aimless hoofs rather than thinking about it and an obvious lack of movement up top. Those boos are kinda justified imo.

Players half-arsed tracking back, nobody willing to take responsibility in the middle of the park, half arsed casual passing, aimless hoofs rather than thinking about it and an obvious lack of movement up top. Those boos are kinda justified imo.

Near the end, when Shelvey was bringing it forward with real intent but Yorke and Joselu were playing statues - as the baldy bastard is dribbling at (his top) pace and gesticulating at them in frustration :anguish:

A lot of these are not down to not working hard - some ability and many not being able to handle the pressure or not having the balls to take risks.

A lot of these are not down to not working hard - some ability and many not being able to handle the pressure or not having the balls to take risks.

Nah, it's lazy in the brain imo. There is definitely a lack of ability in there though.

They should be rousing themselves to get over the pressure and should find the balls to take those risks. I’ve been critical of the crowd a lot in the past and Saturday pissed me off at times too but I think the players not having it within themselves to shake off such fear was bordering into the lazy department. It’s game of football, not a war zone. If you can’t, at some point, find the courage to take risks and drop any fear of making a mistake in front of a big crowd then why are you in football? But then that’s the problem with the state of the game in regards to average/poor players at this level being on massive money, that then becomes a comfort zone.

They should be rousing themselves to get over the pressure and should find the balls to take those risks. I’ve been critical of the crowd a lot in the past and Saturday p*ssed me off at times too but I think the players not having it within themselves to shake off such fear was bordering into the lazy department. It’s game of football, not a war zone. If you can’t, at some point, find the courage to take risks and drop any fear of making a mistake in front of a big crowd then why are you in football? But then that’s the problem with the state of the game in regards to average/poor players at this level being on massive money, that then becomes a comfort zone.

We have a very young team and it's nothing new, we suffered with the same issues last season. SJP is clearly a hard place to play football for our team when we aren't winning. The mental side of things is very complicated, what you are saying is akin to telling someone with depressing to just man up - it's a lot more complicated than that.

They should be rousing themselves to get over the pressure and should find the balls to take those risks. I’ve been critical of the crowd a lot in the past and Saturday p*ssed me off at times too but I think the players not having it within themselves to shake off such fear was bordering into the lazy department. It’s game of football, not a war zone. If you can’t, at some point, find the courage to take risks and drop any fear of making a mistake in front of a big crowd then why are you in football? But then that’s the problem with the state of the game in regards to average/poor players at this level being on massive money, that then becomes a comfort zone.

We have a very young team and it's nothing new, we suffered with the same issues last season. SJP is clearly a hard place to play football for our team when we aren't winning. The mental side of things is very complicated, what you are saying is akin to telling someone with depressing to just man up - it's a lot more complicated than that.

Obviously I wouldn’t think of telling someone with depression to man up but I know what your saying.

The thing is the support has been good at times this year. Granted not all the time and there’s still that whingey element but I think SJP used to be a lot, lot worse between late SBR era up till 2008. There’s always good support from the Gallowgate end now. A lot of fans are singing there hearts out non-stop and I can’t believe the players can’t hear it, towards that side of the pitch anyway. It’s there to feed off. There wasn’t any disssent at the beginning of the game v Brighton and I thought we looked nervous from the off.

The mental side is complicated I agree. But this is what they’ve trained for & strived for. Playing in front of a crowd has been factored into their careers more and more through their development. It’s not like they’ve only just began to play in stadiums. There was too much of an acceptance that we weren’t going to win from the players, to me, whatever the reason.

Obviously I wouldn’t think of telling someone with depression to man up but I know what your saying.

The thing is the support has been good at times this year. Granted not all the time and there’s still that whingey element but I think SJP used to be a lot, lot worse between late SBR era up till 2008. There’s always good support from the Gallowgate end now. A lot of fans are singing there hearts out non-stop and I can’t believe the players can’t hear it, towards that side of the pitch anyway. It’s there to feed off. There wasn’t any disssent at the beginning of the game v Brighton and I thought we looked nervous from the off.

The mental side is complicated I agree. But this is what they’ve trained for & strived for. Playing in front of a crowd has been factored into their careers more and more through their development. It’s not like they’ve only just began to play in stadiums. There was too much of an acceptance that we weren’t going to win from the players, to me, whatever the reason.

I agree. I do wonder if, given our recent run, Rafa had simply instructed them to take no risks and make sure we don't get beat first and foremost and that was playing on their minds. We lacked urgency or desire to get forward throughout the game. Darlow slow with his distribution, Yedlin barely crossed the half way line bar a few times etc. Both central midfielders sitting very deep, too deep for my liking. As if we were set up not to get beat. Perhaps a mixture of both but we had lost the last five in a row at home.

There aren't that many players who can play, week in week out, in front of 50000. Most can play happily in front of 30000, and can raise their game for the trips to the big clubs. When we completed the extension we were an ambitious club who were prepared to pay the premium required for such players. Now we buy cheap and expect them to raise their game every week.

Guest neesy111

It's an absolute myth that we're hard working by the way.

Wrong, we we worked the most hard of all teams yesterday ran 118km in total.

Would you not tend to do that more when you don't have the ball, i think we're one of lowest possession teams in the league. Might explain that like.

That's kind of the point I was making though. It's naiive to think that distance ran = effort without factoring in anything else.

Guest Howaythetoon

Now thinking our set up and lack of push in the final 3rd towards the end was Rafa’s way of stopping the rot at home and keeping a clean sheet in which to build on which we kind of have today. We have to go at Swansea though because we can be a tap on the hammer to the nail in their coffin and in doing so help ourselves massively.

Now thinking our set up and lack of push in the final 3rd towards the end was Rafa’s way of stopping the rot at home and keeping a clean sheet in which to build on which we kind of have today. We have to go at Swansea though because we can be a r]tap on the hammer to the nail in their coffin and I’m doing so help ourselves massively.

Agreed.