Newcastle United 0 - 0 Brighton - 30/12/17 - Post-wank discussion from pg 17

Dave

Just back from the match and that was very poor, no tempo, no zip, no creativity, no pace and no quality. I know we are not very good and we need more quality players but the very minimum is 100% effort and we just didn't get that today.

Agree. You could tell from the first 5 minutes that we weren't at it today. Gave them far too much time on the ball and didn't press as a unit.

It wasn't just the tactics, it was the players unable to play under the pressure. For instance, Gayle played like he had 2 house bricks in his boots, his touch was woeful.

Oh, and Geordiedean you're a prick!

Damning from .com;

Premier League:

Brighton peers??

Newcastle  0  Brighton  0

Newcastle's final game of 2017 saw them limp to a sterile draw with fellow-promotion side Brighton, as the home fans were "treated" to their first home point for ten weeks.

This was United's first goalless draw since the blank at Birmingham City in March and the first in the Premier League since May 2016, also in Birmingham at Villa Park.

Having beaten Brighton twice last season, it's difficult to see this as anything other than two points lost against a side that we should have far greater ambitions than.

We clearly don't under this current regime and if Premier League survival means goalless draws against the likes of the Seagulls, then we really are in a desperate plight.

Three successive blanks at home is the stuff of relegation certainties and quite where the three goals at West Ham came from seems to be something of a mystery.

The tactics that day saw us going at the Hammers' defence in numbers but today's insipid showing - on our own patch - saw around the same number of efforts at goal as the Manchester City game.

A Dwight Gayle penalty dive and header, plus a Rolando Aarons chip were all we had to show from that night and swap Aarons' effort for an Isaac Hayden shot and that's pretty much what we had again.

With wins for Bournemouth and Swansea and Huddersfield's stalemate with Burnley, the result looks even worse - sitting 16th with 19 points from 21 games.

Crystal Palace, West Ham and West Bromwich Albion all have a game in hand now, although they face top five sides.

Monday's opponents, Stoke, were given a good five-goal thrashing by Chelsea but that seems likely to mean they will be facing us with Mark Hughes no longer their manager. Typical.

Atmosphere is negative as f*** in here today. Shouting and balling at players for nowt.

A lot of them can’t even do the basics man.

Need all the help they can get then, don't they?

Honestly the crowd today were something else, frustration creeped in after about 15 minutes and quickly turned to anger no matter what the players did. If they played it simple or backwards there was shouting and balling, if they went long or took a risk there was shouting and balling, it was an edgy atmosphere throughout and the players were visibly struggling with it.

I never used to be one for criticising our fans but the couple of times I've been to games up here this season I've been flabbergasted. A sizeable proportion of them seem to think that carrying on like that will help one of the most limited top flight sides we've ever had. Baffling, and annoying for those who want to he positive and show support. I'd honestly rather they were quiet, it would be more helpful to our cause.

Match itself was fucking shite like, goes without saying. 2 sides devoid of quality, terrified to lose. At times it resembled an end of season kick about. The only times we've looked impressive this season are when we've been able to counter attack and find space, up against a side set up cautiously we've got absolutely nowt to offer.

Terrible championship style game, Rafa has his work cut out to sort this mess out

Have you not been in the Rafa thread? Even if we get 100 mil to spend in January, he would sign 73 Joselus.

Or 36 Joselu sized Ducks.

Guest firetotheworks

Atmosphere is negative as f*** in here today. Shouting and balling at players for nowt.

A lot of them can’t even do the basics man.

Need all the help they can get then, don't they?

Honestly the crowd today were something else, frustration creeped in after about 15 minutes and quickly turned to anger no matter what the players did. If they played it simple or backwards there was shouting and balling, if they went long or took a risk there was shouting and balling, it was an edgy atmosphere throughout and the players were visibly struggling with it.

I never used to be one for criticising our fans but the couple of times I've been to games up here this season I've been flabbergasted. A sizeable proportion of them seem to think that carrying on like that will help one of the most limited top flight sides we've ever had. Baffling, and annoying for those who want to he positive and show support. I'd honestly rather they were quiet, it would be more helpful to our cause.

Match itself was fucking shite like, goes without saying. 2 sides devoid of quality, terrified to lose. At times it resembled an end of season kick about. The only times we've looked impressive this season are when we've been able to counter attack and find space, up against a side set up cautiously we've got absolutely nowt to offer.

Even though I'm just sat here at home with the heating on, I completely agree. I'm really not sure what those people expect or what they think the booing in this situation will get us. The whole Win vs Try thing is pretty much bollocks tbh, it's obvious that the players and the manager are trying and yet the moaning and booing continue, it's been a huge eye opener for me about the stereotype of the deluded Geordie.

for those criticisng the crowd - how long can you expect people to keep getting behind the lads 100% despite seeing what we saw today at home against a poor brighton team, and previously against an even shitter team in everton.

cannot expect people to go on being absolutely positive all the time.

something has to come from the pitch. the crowd aways start positively but we need something back to keep it going. after how many games are people allowed to start giving players stick.

i can understand why some of our crowd are starting to turn and get frustrated.

Guest firetotheworks

for those criticisng the crowd - how long can you expect people to keep getting behind the lads 100% despite seeing what we saw today at home against a poor brighton team, and previously against an even shitter team in everton.

something has to come from the pitch. the crowd aways start positively but we need something back to keep it going. after how many games are people allowed to start giving players stick.

It's a criticism of parts of the crowd, not all of it. Why turn on the players? is my response to that. Ashley is where the entirety of the turning should be. Booing the team at half time and during the match is self defeating, as frustrating as it undoubtedly is. Again, I'd go back to the whole 'we don't demand a team that wins...' stuff. If trying is what's actually demanded, then why are people still groaning and booing when they're clearly trying? Collectively it's a difficult thing to change, but we need to realise that SJP is known for being the place where the opposition look to get the crowd to turn against us, presumably because it's unique to us, and a good way of getting a win.

It's a criticism of parts of the crowd, not all of it. Why turn on the players? is my response to that. Ashley is where the entirety of the turning should be. Booing the team at half time and during the match is self defeating, as frustrating as it undoubtedly is. Again, I'd go back to the whole 'we don't demand a team that wins...' stuff. If trying is what's actually demanded, then why are people still groaning and booing when they're clearly trying? Collectively it's a difficult thing to change, but we need to realise that SJP is known for being the place where the opposition look to get the crowd to turn against us, presumably because it's unique to us, and a good way of getting a win.

human nature dictates that you cant just keep getting behind a team and staying positive when you cant beat even the shittest of teams at home.

Guest firetotheworks

human nature dictates that you cant just keep getting behind a team and staying positive when you cant beat even the shittest of teams at home.

We're the shittest of teams. Once people realise that maybe they'll stop booing.

I was booing Darlow today he seemed to take an absolute age when taking goal kicks and he never once took a quick kick to take advantage of out of position Brighton defenders.

It feels like we're at least a man down. Did I miss a red?

[emoji38] just one man down?

[emoji38] I only see like 8. One of the carpools got stuck on a fucking roundabout or something.

[emoji38] Ayoze’s mom bringing him, Shelvey, and Hayden around in the Windstar

[emoji38]

Guest neesy111

I was booing Darlow today he seemed to take an absolute age when taking goal kicks and he never once took a quick kick to take advantage of out of position Brighton defenders.

Weird one to boo.

He had no one available, the instructions to him would had been to ensure we keep possession first and foremost.

Weird one to boo.

He had no one available, the instructions to him would had been to ensure we keep possession first and foremost.

So why wait all that time, let the defenders get back in position and then kick it aimlessly anyway ?

There’s a good core of fans in the Gallowgate end who sing no matter what’s going on. Karl Darlow had his name belted out at the start of the game. Many other players did. There were sustained spells of strong support. I despite whinging from the crowd as much as anyone, it’s brainless a lot of the time, especially with some back passes.

I have to say though, it came to a point where you had to question the players mentality and frankly effort.

They were playing with absolute fear. Zero confidence about themselves, running like they had lead in their boots at times. Weak attempts at crosses. It was as if some were resigned that it was too hard and they didn’t was to rouse themselves.

I know a lot are poor players but I really think a major factor is what’s going on in their heads. It really needs to be addressed by Benitez, they have to change the way they are thinking.

Like I say I know it can be tough when the crowd are getting restless and no doubt there’s some idiots who go purely to have a whinge which is pathetic, but there’s always support bubbling away in te gallowgate end and today they were playing with the weight of the world on their shoulders from the beginning, when there wasn’t any crowd dissent.

They should be puffing their chests out walking onto the pitch as a matter of personal pride and ambition. If they find it hard to play in front of a big crowd, what hope and ambition do hey have to progress as a footballer? Would they turn down a move to a top club because it’d too much?

Easy to say when you're sat in the warm watching on an internet stream. In reality when you've paid £100s to sit in the freezing cold watching absolute rubbish the patience of the most placid of people is tested, as was the case today.