The other games today 2018/19

Greg

Guest firetotheworks
:lol: Maybe he was just referencing us and Huddersfield beating Man United and suggesting that they're shit.

Guest Howaythetoon

Mourinho is a busted flush. He needs a year out or something. Sanchez is a top player but he will not shine in this team, nor Pogba who is never and never will be a world-class player. If we played like that even with our s**** team I’d be unhappy. They should go all out for Pochettino.

Pogba was already world class at Juve, man. Christ.

Was he f***, he was a top player in that league, but genuine world class? Unless standards have fallen so low the likes of him are considered world class. He’s a good player, very good, but not world-class and never will be. He was abysmal when he came on and has been average since he joined Man Utd. World-class players perform regardless.

Yes, yes he was, comfortably. I presume Sanchez isn't world class as he's not performing as well then?

We must have different ideas of what world-class means. Sanchez was never world-class. He is a level below the likes of Augero for example, now he is world-class. He and Pogba are very good players when on form, top players, but not up there with the very best in the world, no way man [emoji38]

I'm out. Your opinions on football are utterly mental to me at times, man. Sanchez not world class ffs. [emoji38]

How is he world-class? Is he as good as Augero? Hazard even? I think there is a genuine derth of world-class players about at the moment, especially in our league, that someone very good is considered world-class. If you regard Sanchez in that type of league, would you say Vardy is world class? How about Marches? Is Firminho, Eriksen, Son, Ali? Sterling, Mata? Honestly if you think Sanchez is one of the world’s very elite and best players then carry on, I think such an assertion is absurd :lol: if he is then Vardy must be also.

Guest Howaythetoon

Comparing Pogba to Essien ffs.

I've nee idea what Pogba is meant to be good at but it certainly isn't in the spirit of Michael Essien.

Tbf I don't think Sanchez was ever world class either. He went to an elite club, while he was good, very good they felt he could be improved on and they did. While signing someone like-for-like almost. For a player of his type, Bale is like my barometer and I would take Bale over Sanchez.

Apologies, Essien was actually world class for a while. Whatever next Luiz at Chelsea world-class...

Guest Howaythetoon

Lingard is a good player, but needs to move away to fully prove if he can become a world-class player :lol: Nah seriously I like him. He’s a good player who isn't quite good enough for them or where they need to be at, but he’s a good player.

Guest Howaythetoon

Eriksen is world class. He’s been performing at a high level for years now! Arguably one of the best creative midfielders in world football imo.

You see I look at him and think of Silva at Man City or De Bruyne and think, he’s not quite at their level. I do enjoy watching him though, same with Dembele and most of the Spurs’ players, a top team but not world-class and I don’t know what they require to get there to be honest. Probably a winning mentality rather than more better players. They need to win a trophy soon.

What I don't understand is how ManU have spend such absurd amounts of money in transfers since Mourinho came, and in 2018 they are starting CL knockout games with the likes of Lingard, Valencia, Smalling, Young...

Man Utd used to run deep in the CL with the likes of Phil Neville, Park, Welbeck, Fletcher, Butt etc. hard working players who are tactically good and physically strong but with perhaps limited ability has always had a role at Man Utd. Difference is they helped the best players to shine.

Lukaku did this thing tonight and continues to improve.... the rest? Awful.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think since Fergie’s days, European football has changed quite a bit and that kind of team with the players you mentioned TCD wouldn’t get as far as they often did. What he did was allow his best players freedom to express themselves and always went at teams. Contrast to the dull, overly tactical and negative Mourinho...

Guest firetotheworks

Mourinho is a busted flush. He needs a year out or something. Sanchez is a top player but he will not shine in this team, nor Pogba who is never and never will be a world-class player. If we played like that even with our s**** team I’d be unhappy. They should go all out for Pochettino.

Was he f***, he was a top player in that league, but genuine world class? Unless standards have fallen so low the likes of him are considered world class. He’s a good player, very good, but not world-class and never will be. He was abysmal when he came on and has been average since he joined Man Utd. World-class players perform regardless.

Yes, yes he was, comfortably. I presume Sanchez isn't world class as he's not performing as well then?

We must have different ideas of what world-class means. Sanchez was never world-class. He is a level below the likes of Augero for example, now he is world-class. He and Pogba are very good players when on form, top players, but not up there with the very best in the world, no way man [emoji38]

I'm out. Your opinions on football are utterly mental to me at times, man. Sanchez not world class ffs. [emoji38]

How is he world-class? Is he as good as Augero? Hazard even? I think there is a genuine derth of world-class players about at the moment, especially in our league, that someone very good is considered world-class. If you regard Sanchez in that type of league, would you say Vardy is world class? How about Marches? Is Firminho, Eriksen, Son, Ali? Sterling, Mata? Honestly if you think Sanchez is one of the world’s very elite and best players then carry on, I think such an assertion is absurd :lol: if he is then Vardy must be also.

Sorry, all of that is nuts. I recommend you check out what Sanchez has done away from what you've seen e.g. Player of the Tournament in the Copa America - the tournament Chile won, and that Messi played in - before coming out with things like comparisons to Jamie Vardy.

Guest Howaythetoon

Park was very underrated I often thought, a very good player he was. Today the likes of KI would probably have him down as being world-class :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Sorry, all of that is nuts. I recommend you check out what Sanchez has done away from what you've seen e.g. Player of the Tournament in the Copa America - the tournament Chile won, and that Messi played in - before coming out with things like comparisons to Jamie Vardy.

Ooh, look at me I’ve watched him play for Chille a few times... I’ll throw in the Premier League for Vardy, a tournament he starred in and won, and that Sanchez played in. 

Anyway you think he’s world-class, up there with other world-class players like Ronaldo, Messi, De Bruyne, Hazard... Pogba etc. I don’t. I think he is a top player on his day, but no different to many like him such as Firminho, Eriksen, Sterling, Silva, Ozil when he can be bothered etc. All top players, but none genuinely world-class.

It’s weird because back when the talent pool was wider and more varied, I’m sure the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham et al were never considered genuinely world-class. Not a patch on Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo or players of that ilk were the common theme.

I’ve seen enough of Sanchez, 5 times in person, to believe he’s just not at that level of being a genuine world-class player.

What I don't understand is how ManU have spend such absurd amounts of money in transfers since Mourinho came, and in 2018 they are starting CL knockout games with the likes of Lingard, Valencia, Smalling, Young...

Man Utd used to run deep in the CL with the likes of Phil Neville, Park, Welbeck, Fletcher, Butt etc. hard working players who are tactically good and physically strong but with perhaps limited ability has always had a role at Man Utd. Difference is they helped the best players to shine.

Lukaku did this thing tonight and continues to improve.... the rest? Awful.

That's the football of 10+ years ago. Nowadays - for better or worse - big clubs stockpile so much quality you really need more edge on the pitch to compete. That ManU lineup is something I'd expect for playing WBA at home while resting your top players for a CL tie. Not the starting lineup of an actual CL tie.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think someone like Klopp or Pochettino would do far better with this squad than Mounrinho has done. It says a lot that they have a decent defensive record despite having an average defence, albeit a world-class ‘keeper. That’s what he’s all about. For me in the following they have genuine top-class players: Lakaku, Rashford, Martial, Sanchez, Matta and Pogba or players with the potential to be. That’s a fearsome 6 there and I actually think in a more fluid system those 6 can play together. But they are so rigid and play in straight lines. That’s why Sanchez is struggling. I think even someone like Silva would get that lot playing better together than Mourinho is struggling to do.

Whatever happened to the Mourinho who first came here, hold, brash, confident and went out to win every game and while they were never swashbuckling, they scored goals and got at teams. Duff and Robben wide, Drogba up front, Lampard in the middle with Essien and Makalele. That was a fearsome six kind of similar. Obviously they had Cech, Terry, Carvalho (one of the best CB’s at the time and in PL history, vastly underrated) and Cole and Ferreira. They even had Joe Cole to call on. Such a stark contrast. I don’t know how his Inter Milan side set up mind.

Guest firetotheworks

Ooh, look at me I’ve watched him play for Chille a few times... I’ll throw in the Premier League for Vardy, a tournament he starred in and won, and that Sanchez played in. 

Anyway you think he’s world-class, up there with other world-class players like Ronaldo, Messi, De Bruyne, Hazard... Pogba etc. I don’t. I think he is a top player on his day, but no different to many like him such as Firminho, Eriksen, Sterling, Silva, Ozil when he can be bothered etc. All top players, but none genuinely world-class.

It’s weird because back when the talent pool was wider and more varied, I’m sure the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham et al were never considered genuinely world-class. Not a patch on Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo or players of that ilk were the common theme.

I’ve seen enough of Sanchez, 5 times in person, to believe he’s just not at that level of being a genuine world-class player.

Nah, more a look at yourself tbh. If you'd watched him more you'd maybe understand why someone might call him world class, perhaps not be so assured with your assessment, and almost certainly not compare him with Jamie Vardy. A bit like how for example someone who had only watched Shearer under Gullit wouldn't get away with telling you what sort of player he was without incurring an HTT reply so long that Dave would have to put us into maintenance mode again.

Guest Howaythetoon

How many players do you allow for "World Class"? I would say probably around 20-30, in which case both Alexis and Pogba would comfortably qualify IMO.

Me, about 15-20. When you open the doors to everyone, you then start looking at the likes of Vardy and Sterling, top top players who should ought to never be considered.

Again from the PL: Ederson, De Bruyne, Augero our however you spell his name, De Gea, Hazard, Kane and Salah. That’s 7. I won’t include Messi or Ronaldo because they are two of the best of all-time if not the best and are so far ahead, it’s a bit of a joke really. I wouldn’t even class Bale as world-class these days.

I’d include Suárez, Ramos, Neymar, Neuer, Modric, Lewondowski and a few others. Admittedly my knowledge of European and World football isn’t the best.

If the likes of Sanchez are considered world-class you have to start looking at players like Vardy, Eriksen, Firminho, Sterling, Ali, Son, Mane, Ozil, Rashford even based on talent and ability and I think when you do that, you are devaluing what world-class means and the very very top players in that bracket.

Guest Howaythetoon

Fwiw, Vardy is f***ing class and very underrated IMO. You don't score the amount of goals in a team like Leicester without being a top striker.

I must admit, he’s my kind of player and his rise has been nothing short of sensational. He’s a brilliant player and I agree, very underrated.

Guest firetotheworks

Fwiw, Vardy is f***ing class and very underrated IMO. You don't score the amount of goals in a team like Leicester without being a top striker.

Aye, I dislike that this whole conversation has made it seem that I don't think Vardy's mint.

Problem with Sanchez is the same with Ozil, when the going gets tough they completely disappear.

A World Class player is one who is obviously oustanding but would pick the game up by the scruff of the neck and completely change/win it when needed. Sanchez doesn’t do that imo. He’s fantastic when everything is going well, but anonymous mainly when it isn’t.

But I wouldn’t have 30 players in a World Class bracket, probably a maximum of 15-20.