Central midfield pair

Guest tobiazvanderziaz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

There have been been lots of arguing about this but I think its time to make a poll out of it.

When Parker is fully fit who would you prefer?

Guest Bramble OG

The 2 that are in some sort of Form and been in the team getting us results EMRE/BUTT

I think Parkers a great player but at the moment hes not suited to play with Emre and iam not sure if hes able to play the attacking role when Emres not in the team.

Emre/Butt, which is sad - because deep down i love Parker. But we are just more effective when Butt is holding the play, and spreading the ball - and Emre is charging through the middle. Emre seriously needs to work on his finishing, though. Yes - his goal against Reading was a belter - but he's missed far too many clear-cut opporunities this season.

I just wish Parker's passing was better, then he could sit in the position that Butt plays. That way, i'd like to see what Parker-Dyer is like, because Dyer is a better player than Emre.

This being my preferred midfield when fit:

Dyer --- Butt --- Emre --- N'Zogbia

Wish this would work:

Milner --- Parker --- Dyer --- N'Zogbia

I wouldn't say no to a centre-midfielder in January; it'd certainly be an improvement to the squad when you consider our injury troubles. Butt is getting on and will probably need replacing next season, Emre is inconsistent, Parker is somewhat enigmatic, and Dyer has an awful injury record.

So long as it cost us nowt, though. I really like the sound of getting Lassana Diarra. Loan him in Jan with option to buy. Ideal replacement for Butt come next season.

What the hell?

Surely parker has to start before either of them.  Emre's good when he's good, bue he's so incosistent.  Butt's been good recently, but remember the other season?  PArker's one of our best players.

Why do we play better without him then?

What the hell?

Surely parker has to start before either of them. Emre's good when he's good, bue he's so incosistent. Butt's been good recently, but remember the other season? PArker's one of our best players.

Do we?

We've had a good run without him recently.  All which started with the arsenal game in which he played well.  He was easily our best at the start of the season, and very good all of last season.  Michael Owen hasnt been playing in our recent run either...

Parker is often our best player when he plays, but he makes other players shite and unbalances the side. We play better without him.

End of last season - he gets injured... we fly 5/6 places up the table.

This season - he gets injured... we fly 5/6 places up the table.

What the hell?

Surely parker has to start before either of them. Emre's good when he's good, bue he's so incosistent. Butt's been good recently, but remember the other season? PArker's one of our best players.

Do we?

We've had a good run without him recently.  All which started with the arsenal game in which he played well.  He was easily our best at the start of the season, and very good all of last season.  Michael Owen hasnt been playing in our recent run either...

Yes, we do. And we did it last season too when Parker was out of the team.

Parker is often our best player when he plays, but he makes other players shite and unbalances the side. We play better without him.

End of last season - he gets injured... we fly 5/6 places up the table.

This season - he gets injured... we fly 5/6 places up the table.

See, I just don't agree he's regularly our best player, he just grafts and people are impressed by that. At the end of the day, he does very little and he does unbalance the team, he doesn't gel very well with other players, as you point out.

I think Parker-Emre would work if Parker was the defensive midfielder and Emre the attacking one

We've tried that and neither player does it properly, as they seem to play similar games. Butt and Emre are much more suited to eachother's game and basically means Emre can run around everywhere creating stuff while Butt sits and covers.

If you ask Parker to do this for some reason he takes it upon himself to try and close down and tackle every player with the ball that enters our half.

Meaning a huge gap is created and we are wide open to attack.

I think Parker could work really well, but I just don't think Glenn has the tactical knowledge to realize how to fix the problems we have when Parker and Emre play.  I thought Butt actually looked a lot like Parker today when he was on the ball, very slow, trouble picking out his pass, poor finishing, when we really needed to get the tempo up and move the ball up the field. 

I think Parker could work really well, but I just don't think Glenn has the tactical knowledge to realize how to fix the problems we have when Parker and Emre play.  I thought Butt actually looked a lot like Parker today when he was on the ball, very slow, trouble picking out his pass, poor finishing, when we really needed to get the tempo up and move the ball up the field. 

I'm more worried that having made the mistake of making Parker the team captain, Roeder feels as though he has to select Parker week in week out when he's fully fit.

Can't see how you can blame any lack of tactical knowledge by the manager for Parker's low level of ability. I think *Doncheesecake hit the nail on the head a couple of posts up, tbh. He doesn't have the ability to play the role Butt is playing.

*If you ask Parker to do this for some reason he takes it upon himself to try and close down and tackle every player with the ball that enters our half.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

After 100 votes a conclusion is being made. Looks like Emre is the most popular with Butt right behind him. Our captain Parker hasnt got the support he deserves (if you ask me ;) ). Anyways a good central midfield we have at Newcastle with Dyer being a good replacement too :)

After 100 votes a conclusion is being made. Looks like Emre is the most popular with Butt right behind him. Our captain Parker hasnt got the support he deserves (if you ask me ;) ). Anyways a good central midfield we have at Newcastle with Dyer being a good replacement too :)

To me, there are various combinatiions in the centre of a 4-4-2 before Parker should get a kick.

Butt/Emre

Butt/Dyer

Emre/Dyer

What does Parker do, if playing in combination with any of those 3 players, that is better than those other players in their roles?

Does he play the holding role with the discipline and "reading of the game" ability of Butt?

Does he create and pass as well as Emre?

Is he an attacking threat on a par, or better than Dyer?

Imo, if he's in the centre with Emre he gets in Emre's way and stops him playing. We've seen plenty of that and I don't understand why people still believe that combintion can work.

If he's in with Butt he'll be expected to create, but he has almost zero creative ability.

If he's in the centre with Dyer he may do better, but it's a real problem that he lacks the ability to move the ball on quickly.  This will become even more apparent if/when Owen is up front with Martins, and with Dyer also in the team making forward runs, even if Dyer is on the right. With Zog using pace on the left we'd have a lot of pacey players, Parker has got to learn to shift the ball on much faster than he does. He should watch Butt, because his passing is far more slick and creative.

Parker is not an easy player to fit into a team imo, and he's not good enough to build a team around. I'd sell him, tbh. We don't need him and the money could be better allocated elsewhere in the side.

Interesting debate this, I'm sure Parker's return will give Roeder a little bit of a headache.

I'm a firm believer of playing players in form. But let's not forget that our recent upturn in fortunes has coincided with an easier run of games. Portsmouth, Reading, Watford, all at home. That's where our points have been coming from and we made very hard work of them with two very late winners in our last two home games. These next couple of weeks will provide a much bigger test and I must admit that I feel safer with the big guns on against the big teams, regardless of form.

To me, there are various combinatiions in the centre of a 4-4-2 before Parker should get a kick.

Butt/Emre

Butt/Dyer

Emre/Dyer

What does Parker do, if playing in combination with any of those 3 players, that is better than those other players in their roles?

Does he play the holding role with the discipline and "reading of the game" ability of Butt?

Does he create and pass as well as Emre?

Is he an attacking threat on a par, or better than Dyer?

Imo, if he's in the centre with Emre he gets in Emre's way and stops him playing. We've seen plenty of that and I don't understand why people still believe that combintion can work.

If he's in with Butt he'll be expected to create, but he has almost zero creative ability.

If he's in the centre with Dyer he may do better, but it's a real problem that he lacks the ability to move the ball on quickly.  This will become even more apparent if/when Owen is up front with Martins, and with Dyer also in the team making forward runs, even if Dyer is on the right. With Zog using pace on the left we'd have a lot of pacey players, Parker has got to learn to shift the ball on much faster than he does. He should watch Butt, because his passing is far more slick and creative.

Parker is not an easy player to fit into a team imo, and he's not good enough to build a team around. I'd sell him, tbh. We don't need him and the money could be better allocated elsewhere in the side.

Agree 100% :clap: