Roeder has 10 Million in Jan

SUPERTOON

Guest thompers

Will be looking at around £6mill to take Bridge on!

I think any money like that should be spent on a forward or an attacking midfield player and it would be madness to spend such an amount on a defender.

It will be interesting to see how many other shit boards back their managers with 10m to go with 15m last summer as well.

So you ARE Freddy then :lol: That's the mentality that has left us with Carr and Babayaro as first teamers. Why is it silly to spend that kind of money on a defender?

because we need forwards more, or quality forwards more. And quality forwards cost more than quality defenders. Simple. Or should I say, simpleton.

Anyway I thought you were against spending big money on "trophy" players ? Is this another of your "yeh but no but" statement similar to those you made about interfering with managers ?

We don't need to splash out big on a striker yet IMO, we could get someone in who will do an adequate job till the summer fairly cheap then we have Owen back (and Shola but lets not get into that). Fact is we don't have adequate full backs and they should be priority!

Funnily enough, its that simple.

Well if you gave me a choice between a good full back for 5 or 6m quid or a good forward for 5 or 6m quid I would take the forward and I find it amazing that anyone would spend that amount of money on a defender first.

Man Utd spent £28m on one freddy. They win cups. We don't. See a link?

so you think we should pay 28m for a defender  :lol:

I'm sure these "trophy" defenders will score our goals if Martins is injured .......

Yes I think we should spend £28m on the defence. Without doing this, it renders the ?£50m? that we've spent on the attack as money wasted.

I think any money like that should be spent on a forward or an attacking midfield player and it would be madness to spend such an amount on a defender.

It will be interesting to see how many other shit boards back their managers with 10m to go with 15m last summer as well.

So you ARE Freddy then :lol: That's the mentality that has left us with Carr and Babayaro as first teamers. Why is it silly to spend that kind of money on a defender?

because we need forwards more, or quality forwards more. And quality forwards cost more than quality defenders. Simple. Or should I say, simpleton.

Anyway I thought you were against spending big money on "trophy" players ? Is this another of your "yeh but no but" statement similar to those you made about interfering with managers ?

We don't need to splash out big on a striker yet IMO, we could get someone in who will do an adequate job till the summer fairly cheap then we have Owen back (and Shola but lets not get into that). Fact is we don't have adequate full backs and they should be priority!

I'm not so sure. I think another quality forward is a must. And a quality attacking midfield player is too. I just think we should spend on these players first, and patch up at the back, we have shown lately it can be done. I'm not so sure Martins and Owen would play in the same team either, making a partner for one of them - whoever stays - the absolute priority. Plus cover.

There are solid full backs around who we could get for small fees if the manager wants them etc etc Lucas neill for one, and keep the big money for the forward. Although I do agree that left back is a problem, but it depends on availability too, I would not spend big in this area, I would hold the cash for the forward players thats all.

we could pick up neill and distin for about £3m-£4m combined, both of which can play at full back (neill, left or right) or centre half, leaving the rest for a big money forward.

i agree, we need a partner for owen/martins

we could pick up neill and distin for about £3m-£4m combined, both of which can play at full back (neill, left or right) or centre half, leaving the rest for a big money forward.

I've never understood this obsession with Lucas Neill. He's always seemed to be an average Premiership full back with a nasty streak to his game, yet his agent links him with Liverpool and one or two others and suddenly people assume he's a top player. Benitez and his board were willing to pay only £2m which says a lot IMO, I certainly wouldn't pay more than that.

Well if you gave me a choice between a good full back for 5 or 6m quid or a good forward for 5 or 6m quid I would take the forward and I find it amazing that anyone would spend that amount of money on a defender first.

they also spent £30m on a forward............

Another shit manager being backed by the Board.

Well done, Fred.

:thup:

bluelaugh.gif

The worst injury list in years.

Taking over when morale had to be in the depths after a period with the worst manager in living memory.

3 points behind the fantastic Martin O'Neill.

Roeder wouldn't have been my choice and I still have reservations in the long term. But he's doing ok and hasn't been shown to be shit at all.

nail on the head mate :thup:

Aye, Roeder has gone up a lot in my eyes in recent weeks.

Guest thompers

Yes but if they can spend £28m on a defender how can £6m on one seem so outrageous?

I've never understood this obsession with Lucas Neill. He's always seemed to be an average Premiership full back with a nasty streak to his game, yet his agent links him with Liverpool and one or two others and suddenly people assume he's a top player. Benitez and his board were willing to pay only £2m which says a lot IMO, I certainly wouldn't pay more than that.

hence why i said we could pick both up for £3-£4m.

neill is in a different league to any full back we have (apart from nobby if he wants to stay there), and he wouldnt cost much, hence strenthening the squad

And we spent £28m on two forwards, while being half the size (that being generous) of Manure.

Our ENTIRE defense is worth £8m - Huntington, Carr (£2m), Ramage, Taylor, Moore, Bramble (£5m), Bernard, Babayaro £1m)

There is a slight unbalance here, wonder what it is?

If we get rid of some of the dead wood like Bramble and Luque, that would raise another £5M surely?

For £15M I would go for;

Ben Haim - £4M

Neill - £2M

Bridges/Baines - £6M

Duscher - £3M

Basturk - Free

Waste of money imo. Butt is a better player in this form.

Also isn't duscher on a free end of season and his club struggling for cash?

Yes but if they can spend £28m on a defender how can £6m on one seem so outrageous?

i think the point was that quality attackers cost more than quality defenders, and that we should spend more on attack than defence.

plus, comparing our current financial position, and the current player market, to that of man utd's in 2002 doesnt make much sense.

If we get rid of some of the dead wood like Bramble and Luque, that would raise another £5M surely?

For £15M I would go for;

Ben Haim - £4M

Neill - £2M

Bridges/Baines - £6M

Duscher - £3M

Basturk - Free

Butt is getting on a bit though, and we could do with another defensive midfielder.

For £15M I would go for;

Ben Haim - £4M

Neill - £2M

Bridges/Baines - £6M

Duscher - £3M

Basturk - Free

Butt is getting on a bit though, and we could do with another defensive midfielder.

He is, but Duscher isn't the player we need tbh.

I'd rather stick to a known quality DM than take a chance with another could-be flop from the Spanish leagues.

In fact, i think we should never buy from Spain again, italy yes, france maybe, certainly Germany, but Spain, never again.

For £15M I would go for;

Ben Haim - £4M

Neill - £2M

Bridges/Baines - £6M

Duscher - £3M

Basturk - Free

I'd rather stick to a known quality DM than take a chance with another could-be flop from the Spanish leagues.

In fact, i think we should never buy from Spain again, italy yes, france maybe, certainly Germany, but Spain, never again.

Kluivert on a free?

For £15M I would go for;

Ben Haim - £4M

Neill - £2M

Bridges/Baines - £6M

Duscher - £3M

Basturk - Free

Kluivert on a free?

???

For £15M I would go for;

Ben Haim - £4M

Neill - £2M

Bridges/Baines - £6M

Duscher - £3M

Basturk - Free

Kluivert on a free?

???

You said we should never buy from Spain as if we have never got a decent player from there.

Kluivert on a free was a decent deal imo.

Guest thompers

i think the point was that quality attackers cost more than quality defenders, and that we should spend more on attack than defence.

plus, comparing our current financial position, and the current player market, to that of man utd's in 2002 doesnt make much sense.

Their record signing is a defender. We shouldn't spend more on attack than defence. We've done that for years, and where's it got us? It's got us nowhere and it's gotten us one of the worst defensive reputations around. We should spend more on defence, and build from the back. At one point we had the best striker in the country and the most expensive player in the world, and we didn't win anything because of failure to invest similar figures in the defence.

For £15M I would go for;

Ben Haim - £4M

Neill - £2M

Bridges/Baines - £6M

Duscher - £3M

Basturk - Free

Kluivert on a free?

???

You said we should never buy from Spain as if we have never got a decent player from there.

Technically didn't BUY him from Spain  tongue.gif

For £15M I would go for;

Ben Haim - £4M

Neill - £2M

Bridges/Baines - £6M

Duscher - £3M

Basturk - Free

Kluivert on a free?

???

Kluivert and the words free certainly dont go together.

He cost £3.5m in wages for the year nevermind a loan fee if there was one (probably was) he also upset the balance and ended up putting Bellamy on the wings to accommodate him sparking Bellamys departure, was well worth bringing in.

Can't think of anyone better we've signed from Spain, if that is the best we've done, then am certain we should never go La Liga again.