James Milner is not for sale

Mags Serbia

I won't sell star Milner

Dec 20 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder and Freddy Shepherd met today to discuss next month's transfer window deals, but before they did both the manager and the chairman insisted: "One player who is not going anywhere is James Milner."

And it's just the news the England Under-21 winger and United supporters wanted to hear just hours before tonight's Carling Cup quarter-final against Chelsea at St James' Park.

The Chronicle revealed news yesterday of the transfer summit between Roeder and Shepherd, and obviously United are desperate for some new players as soon as the window opens on January 1.

However, Roeder told me today: "Everybody knows that James Milner almost went to Aston Villa at the 11th hour in the last transfer window and there is a lot of talk, especially in the Midlands, that that's where he will be going in January.

"But not as far as myself and the chairman are concerned.

"We have played 30 games this season and James has been involved in just about all of them.

"As a result, he is getting the one thing he always wanted - regular first-team football.

"And in any case, why should James Milner want to leave Newcastle United?

"He is seeing at first-hand the progress we are making, and that we are slowly but surely changing our squad for the better.

"He has played such an important part in our recent good form, with some excellent crosses which have brought some really good goals for the likes of Oba Martins, Albert Luque and Antoine Sibierski."

Despite this, Milner goes in against Chelsea tonight still looking for his first goal of the season.

United have only managed one goal from a winger in the Premiership all season, and that was scored by Damien Duff in the win at West Ham in September.

But Milner would love to repeat Nobby Solano's two goals against Portsmouth in the Carling Cup against Chelsea, as United bid to join Wycombe Wanderers in the semi-final of the competition. Roeder added: "The only thing which is missing from Milner's game at the moment is goals, but he is working so hard on this in training.

"Don't forget he is still only 20 and, with Nicky Butt, he is always the last to leave the training ground."

Milner definitely starts tonight while Roeder will make last-minute decisions on Solano and Emre.

But such is the team spirit in the camp these days that both want to play.

United had sold 35,000 tickets when the box office opened today, and they are hoping to push this up to 40,000 by tonight's 7.45pm start, even though the game is going out live on TV.

There will be cash turnstiles at the Sir John Hall Stand north west corner 9 and 13, Sir John Hall Stand north east corner 35 and 36, South East corner 52 sand 53, south west corner 71 and 72.

:thup:

Can only be good news. He's slowly but surely developing into a very good player.

As it says in the article though, he really needs to get some goals. And once he irons out the pitiful crosses that occur two/three times in a match - he'll be cracking. Will be a major player for us come next season.

"Don't forget he is still only 20 and, with Nicky Butt, he is always the last to leave the training ground."

gay.gif whats gannin on here then?

:lol: :lol: bathroom party

Just glad it didn't say Nicky's tbh.

Can only be good news. He's slowly but surely developing into a very good player.

As it says in the article though, he really needs to get some goals. And once he irons out the pitiful crosses that occur two/three times in a match - he'll be cracking. Will be a major player for us come next season.

Thats the thing that annoys me, he's so fucking slow to be a good winger.

Thats the thing that annoys me, he's so f***ing slow to be a good winger.

still manages to get past players though.

Aye, but what he makes up for in lack of pace is his ability to beat his man. Duff's pretty damn fast, but can he take the ball past a man? Can he hellers.

still manages to get past players though.

Think that says more about the shit standard of fullbacks than it does about Milner. ;)

milner lacks the pace to get in behind the best fullbacks. ashley cole had him in his pocket at stamford bridge last week. i expect a repeat performance tonight if they're up against each other again.

"And in any case, why should James Milner want to leave Newcastle United?

Well, there's the way he was dicked about at the last minute in the last transfer window.

Wish him all the best if he stays with you, though, I think he's a brilliant prospect

Needs to improve his crossing. He hits the spot every now and then but he would be class if he worked on it a bit. The number of times he works himself an opening then screws it into the crowd is infuriating.

He should be staying behind with Nob rather than Butt. rimshot.gif

I'm really glad we're keeping him some of the turns, crosses and play from James has been fantastic this season.

He gives his all in every match. I, like a few others, weren't bothered if he left for villa in the last window but I can no say hes proved me wrong and deserves his place in the team as he always gives us something extra.

Onwards and upwards for mr.milner, hope he keeps progressing the way he is :)

Needs to improve his crossing. He hits the spot every now and then but he would be class if he worked on it a bit. The number of times he works himself an opening then screws it into the crowd is infuriating.

He should be staying behind with Nob rather than Butt. rimshot.gif

hang your head in shame, that was truely awful :lol:

Guest Imperio

Didn't want him to go in the summer, if he can iron out some of his annoying creases like not being able to deliver a killer cross on a regular basis he'll be a top player for us.

Definately shouldnt be sold, not unless its above 6 mill.

Still needs to improve his game considerably though. Not in terms of learning new skills, just consistency. So far this season in the Premiership, hes spent most of the first half running into brick walls, showing shiite first touches and being unable to cross to save his life. Quite often, hes been the main player to break down team moves during the early period of a match.

Normally, hes improved considerably by the hour mark, when his attempts at taking on the fullback start to bring him some joy eventually, and his crossing seems to improve.

If he can play from the start in the same manner that he manages to play after ample tries at doing something reptetitive, hed be a quality player for us indeed.

as much as i dont want him to go because our squad cant really afford to have anyone leave, im not convinced he'l stay. This could be roeders way of upping his price. If that was by souness it would just say, 'milner is shite, we dont want him and were desperate for someone to take him off our hands, just offer us pennies and we'l snap your hands off'

Guest optimistic nit

"As a result, he is getting the one thing he always wanted - regular first-team football"

isn't that nice blueyes.gif

santa wont need to visit the milner residence now.

very good news - now freddy and roed just need to back it up with keeping him here!

i've always said that we should only let him leave if we can get swp in instead!

as for these - "he is too slow, cole had him in his pocket" comments. Well, he is putting in more succesfull crosses than our other wingers, and luckily we aren't playing the likes of chelsea and cole every week!