Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

How much would a company, investing in advertising to the level SD have at SJP, expect to return on their investment?

It's irrelevant really. All we should be focused on is what could we have brought in if we had sold that advertising space to other companies, and the answer is probably £200m over the ten years?

Brand-awareness advertising of that kind is very difficult to quantify and is usually measured in number of pairs of eyes that see the branding, rather than direct return on investment. In this case that's hundreds of millions of pairs of eyes over 10 years i would think.

Look at Formula 1 - companies pay £millions to have a tiny little logo on the car, that might only get 10 seconds of air time. They're not looking for a quantifiable return, they just want their brand associated with the most high profile sport in the world.

I think it's clear that Sean is either a kid or is a WUM. If he wants to learn about NUFC accounts he should look at Chris Holts stuff on Twitter.

Yes Mike Ashley has had free advertising but hes lost a lot of money with NUFC, most of it because of his own mismanagement.

You're a WUM.

How has he not made money owning us? Go on tell us all.

If he loans us money, we owe it him back. He's been getting advertising (around £8 million a year) free, taking profit from sales of merchandise.

If he ever wants to sell us, he'll make a hefty profit.

But no he's not made a penny. Poor Mike eh.  :lol:

Well show me where you get these factual figures from I have asked several times. The accounts, which are the official record of NUFC show that over the 12 year period he has been owner of the club he has lost a substantial amount. As for making a hefty profit if he sells that's the one point I do agree on and it's the only way he will make a hefty profit also, which was the original point I was making.

There's definitely a bit of over-simplification in there. Sports Direct has undoubtedly benefitted from its association with the club and therefore, Ashley has as well.

What would be the cost of advertising at the stadium to the level he has? £25m per season?  Any loss that might show on the balance sheet has been recouped, probably  many times over, whether directly or indirectly.

Presumably the club shop revenue would have to be specified on the balance sheet, but would how much of that is siphoned off to SD have to be declared?

NUFC purchase merchandise through SD to sell as SD get it at a better rate. SD then get a percentage of merchandising profits.

People claiming Ashley doesn’t benefit? FFS.

Nobody said he doesn't but can you say to what amount he does benefit?

Mike Ashley himself says he wanted to use Newcastle united as a vehicle to expand Sports Direct. I suggest you check out their financial history to get a clue of the benefits he's gained over these past 12 years.

For what it's worth SD was at about 220p per share before he took over, and peaked at 907p per share at about 2014. I'd say they aren't 2 mutually exclusive situations.

Guest godzilla

I think it's clear that Sean is either a kid or is a WUM. If he wants to learn about NUFC accounts he should look at Chris Holts stuff on Twitter.

Yes Mike Ashley has had free advertising but hes lost a lot of money with NUFC, most of it because of his own mismanagement.

You're a WUM.

If he loans us money, we owe it him back. He's been getting advertising (around £8 million a year) free, taking profit from sales of merchandise.

Well show me where you get these factual figures from I have asked several times. The accounts, which are the official record of NUFC show that over the 12 year period he has been owner of the club he has lost a substantial amount. As for making a hefty profit if he sells that's the one point I do agree on and it's the only way he will make a hefty profit also, which was the original point I was making.

There's definitely a bit of over-simplification in there. Sports Direct has undoubtedly benefitted from its association with the club and therefore, Ashley has as well.

What would be the cost of advertising at the stadium to the level he has? £25m per season?  Any loss that might show on the balance sheet has been recouped, probably  many times over, whether directly or indirectly.

Presumably the club shop revenue would have to be specified on the balance sheet, but would how much of that is siphoned off to SD have to be declared?

NUFC purchase merchandise through SD to sell as SD get it at a better rate. SD then get a percentage of merchandising profits.

Ignoring advertising and marketing? Probably. Including it, pretty much impossible.

You can't ignore it though that's the point, maybe in next years accounts when the advertising should increase due to Sports Direct paying now (as per forum minutes) it may be a little clearer. Anything now is just guesswork. Think some people are expecting he would be paying top 6 type advertisement (i.e. the quote of £25 million earlier) and it would be nowhere near that level of money

How much would a company, investing in advertising to the level SD have at SJP, expect to return on their investment?

It's irrelevant really. All we should be focused on is what could we have brought in if we had sold that advertising space to other companies, and the answer is probably £200m over the ten years?

Brand-awareness advertising of that kind is very difficult to quantify and is usually measured in number of pairs of eyes that see the branding, rather than direct return on investment. In this case that's hundreds of millions of pairs of eyes over 10 years i would think.

Look at Formula 1 - companies pay £millions to have a tiny little logo on the car, that might only get 10 seconds of air time. They're not looking for a quantifiable return, they just want their brand associated with the most high profile sport in the world.

It's not irrelevant, if we're talking about how much Ashley has earned from the club. You are right it's difficult to quantify, but say the advertising over his tenure has been worth £200 million, it's safe to assume that a company with a marketing budget of £200 million, over ten years, would have expectations of substantial growth.

Although there's no way to measure the amount but why not look at this another way.

How much money has the club lost or not gained because of the way the idiot has run the club, 2 relegation's, not even doing a half decent job of maximizing potential, advertising etc.

However you look at it, the man is fucking arsehole who has cost the club millions with his fat presence.

Guest godzilla

You're a WUM.

Mike Ashley himself says he wanted to use Newcastle united as a vehicle to expand Sports Direct. I suggest you check out their financial history to get a clue of the benefits he's gained over these past 12 years.

For what it's worth SD was at about 220p per share before he took over, and peaked at 907p per share at about 2014. I'd say they aren't 2 mutually exclusive situations.

The market for cheap sports goods and clothing was at it's premium within the period you quoted and it's down to 286 now. The high street in general has took a big downturn over the last few years whilst the Premier League is probably at it's highest point, so the correlation isn't what you're making it out to be. Did the St James advertisement help, I have no doubt it did, but not to the point you're trying to make out though.

Guest godzilla

Although there's no way to measure the amount but why not look at this another way.

How much money has the club lost or not gained because of the way the idiot has run the club, 2 relegation's, not even doing a half decent job of maximizing potential, advertising etc.

However you look at it, the man is f***ing arsehole who has cost the club millions with his fat presence.

Can't argue there the bloke has been an absolute disaster and I think that's something everyone agree with.

However you look at it, the man is fucking arsehole who has cost the club millions with his fat presence.

He's not even interested in making money from the club. Yes he outsources everything he can to his other companies, but his baby is SD and that has grown in relation to the attachment to the club. It hasn't grown anywhere near what it could do, if he was actually a good businessman, because he can't associate his shite brand, with a successful club. A successful football club works with successful sporting brands, and they are Ashley's enemy in the business world.

Twenty million a year? Get away man. Based off our other deals, £4-6m a year more realistic

I’m sure we could get more if we were run otoperly of course, but thats probably fair going.

You're a WUM.

The market for cheap sports goods and clothing was at it's premium within the period you quoted and it's down to 286 now. The high street in general has took a big downturn over the last few years whilst the Premier League is probably at it's highest point, so the correlation isn't what you're making it out to be. Did the St James advertisement help, I have no doubt it did, but not to the point you're trying to make out though.

Has he increased his number of shares in that time?

It's not irrelevant, if we're talking about how much Ashley has earned from the club. You are right it's difficult to quantify, but say the advertising over his tenure has been worth £200 million, it's safe to assume that a company with a marketing budget of £200 million, over ten years, would have expectations of substantial growth.

Yes they would, but usually you attribute the large portion of your advertising budget to direct response activity that you can quantify and you make assumptions about brand awareness activity. It's widely accepted that it's something that should be done and that generates a return but you don't necessarily put a figure to it.

The best we could do is look at Sports Direct's revenue over the past 10-12 years and attribute a percentage of that to the brand's association with the club. If that's 1% then it's 1% of what the company was worth then compared to what it's worth now.

For example, in 2010 the company was worth £1.48bn compared to £3.35bn in 2018. I couldn't be arsed to look any further back than that, i feel dirty enough already.

It's very finger in the air but that's brand marketing for you.

Guest godzilla

You're a WUM.

Has he increased his number of shares in that time?

Not sure to be honest just checked the current share price

Twenty million a year? Get away man. Based off our other deals, £4-6m a year more realistic

I’m sure we could get more if we were run otoperly of course, but thats probably fair going.

I dunno who we would be comparable to, in terms of advertising income, but surely a comparison can be made. Maybe Everton, but our grund is bigger and should therefore have more available space. I'm sure there was a graph of this somewhere. Would be interesing to see again.

Think i preferred it when the conversation was about jaffa cakes.

cba to read back, but I love telling the story on why Jaffa Cakes are VAT free and how the decision was made in court. One for a rainy day

:lol: I'd like to hear that on said rainy day.

Think i preferred it when the conversation was about jaffa cakes.

cba to read back, but I love telling the story on why Jaffa Cakes are VAT free and how the decision was made in court. One for a rainy day

I used to love that story, until it was on QI. But it was that story that had me wondering whether or not Jaffa cakes might be instrumental in another international incident. If people start smuggling Jaffa Cakes into the US, and creating a black market, it could undermine the global establishment, and bring the WTO to it's knees.