Women's Football

Very tight at the top of the Championship now with not many games left to play. Epic last day game for Sunlun on the cards, Durham still in the mix to pass Newcastle going the other way. Would be canny to have two local away trips next season.

1 hour ago, OpenC said:

Very tight at the top of the Championship now with not many games left to play. Epic last day game for Sunlun on the cards, Durham still in the mix to pass Newcastle going the other way. Would be canny to have two local away trips next season.

Durham are pretty much safe as Lewes need 4 points from their last two games, and their next game is at home to table topping Crystal Palace.

Similarly, it would be some achievement if Sunderland were to win the league. Home to Charlton next week will be a very tough fixture, with the visitors still in the promotion hunt themselves. They've lost the least amount of games this season, too. If they can win that one, then the final day trip to Palace will be a cracker. I don't think it'll go down to the last game, though. I reckon they'll struggle to see off Charlton, and Palace will win the league next week at Lewes.

• 2 weeks later...

2nd leg of the women's champions league semi final on TNT at the moment if anyone is interested

Hayes has done a bit of a Klopp as in she announced she was leaving at the end of the season, and they were on for the quadruple. She's since lost the league cup final and been knocked out of the FA Cup.

They have a 1 nil advantage from the first leg in this one though! 

Always thought she came across pretty well as a speaker about football until those snide accusations about the fella at Arsenal. 

It's been strange watching her this last few months! She seems rattled, and I've never seen her like this! 

I wonder if the pressure of taking the USA job has got to her a bit.

It is the biggest job in women's football by a mile, and she's been very comfortable at chelsea for some time with huge, unrivalled backing, and not a great deal of pressure!

On 02/05/2024 at 13:41, iklgizmo said:

It's been strange watching her this last few months! She seems rattled, and I've never seen her like this! 

I wonder if the pressure of taking the USA job has got to her a bit.

It is the biggest job in women's football by a mile, and she's been very comfortable at chelsea for some time with huge, unrivalled backing, and not a great deal of pressure!

I think this bit in your post is key. Chelsea have spent a huge deal on women's football, perhaps more than anyone else in the world, but the landscape has shifted rapidly over the last few years. I don't want to discredit what Hayes has achieved, her success has been remarkable, and you can only work with what's in front of you. However, others are starting to catch up, after years of disinterest. We are starting to see professional coaching setups, academy systems and more clubs having the money to lure in top players from abroad.

As someone inside the game, I can tell you that in previous years Chelsea were running an impressive operation. Up in Scotland, Erin Cuthbert's father was operating as a scout. If he saw any player in the SWPL league that he thought was worth a look, he'd notify the club, and since the game was amateur up here, Chelsea could speak to, and sign the player, without ever having to talk to their club. I'd imagine they were running a country wide network of scouting the best talents, and being able to bring them in to their academy, without much opposition. That changed about 5 years back when the game up here turned professional, and now that ability to operate so freely has disappeared. On top of that, every other WSL club is now operating similar scouting networks.

I have to admit, I'm not sure if Hayes has made a great move, taking on the USA job. I know it is widely regarded as the top job in women's football right now, but I think they could be on a downward trend. The domestic league over there remains strong, with not only the college system producing players, but being the central focus for both North America and South America. However, I think as the WSL grows over the next five years, that we may find the balance of power continues to move away from the USA. The European nations are rapidly getting better too. I'm not overly convinced that we'll see the USA win the World Cup again in the short term. If she can achieve that though, then it will certainly be an impressive feat.

Can’t abide Hayes, always seems to me that she carries a bit of a chip on her shoulder and has been done and held back.

That and the fact that I can’t help but see her as Sam Allardye. Full of shit.

SSN: Fran Kirby is leaving Chelsea after 10 years…………..no mention of retiring or owt, I wonder if Amanda’s been on the phone and made her an offer she can’t refuse? Mind I could be well wide of the mark🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

SSN: Fran Kirby is leaving Chelsea after 10 years…………..no mention of retiring or owt, I wonder if Amanda’s been on the phone and made her an offer she can’t refuse? Mind I could be well wide of the mark🤷‍♂️

Her partner announced she was leaving the club yesterday too, wouldn't be suprised if they both ended up in the NWSL!!!

15 hours ago, O Neill said:

I think this bit in your post is key. Chelsea have spent a huge deal on women's football, perhaps more than anyone else in the world, but the landscape has shifted rapidly over the last few years. I don't want to discredit what Hayes has achieved, her success has been remarkable, and you can only work with what's in front of you. However, others are starting to catch up, after years of disinterest. We are starting to see professional coaching setups, academy systems and more clubs having the money to lure in top players from abroad.

As someone inside the game, I can tell you that in previous years Chelsea were running an impressive operation. Up in Scotland, Erin Cuthbert's father was operating as a scout. If he saw any player in the SWPL league that he thought was worth a look, he'd notify the club, and since the game was amateur up here, Chelsea could speak to, and sign the player, without ever having to talk to their club. I'd imagine they were running a country wide network of scouting the best talents, and being able to bring them in to their academy, without much opposition. That changed about 5 years back when the game up here turned professional, and now that ability to operate so freely has disappeared. On top of that, every other WSL club is now operating similar scouting networks.

I have to admit, I'm not sure if Hayes has made a great move, taking on the USA job. I know it is widely regarded as the top job in women's football right now, but I think they could be on a downward trend. The domestic league over there remains strong, with not only the college system producing players, but being the central focus for both North America and South America. However, I think as the WSL grows over the next five years, that we may find the balance of power continues to move away from the USA. The European nations are rapidly getting better too. I'm not overly convinced that we'll see the USA win the World Cup again in the short term. If she can achieve that though, then it will certainly be an impressive feat.

I think with the US, they have sooooo much talent, a lot of the problem is trying to pick the right people. They still have some of the best players in the world, but they've not taken well to being knocked off thir perch now that European teams have caught up to them.

On paper she seems like the perfect person for the job, but I really hope she fails.....

Looks like the mind games from Hayes have worked by 'conceding' the league last week.

City had almost 2 hands on the trophy after 88 minutes today, then arsenal ended up beating them!

Chelsea currently 7-0 up against Bristol City to equal City's goal difference!