Nabil Bentaleb

joeyt

He's only been here 2 minutes and he's playing under the worst manager in the league. Give him a bit of time FFS!

You don't do well in the German top division if you're a shite player - we're far too quick to jump on players here. He's clearly being hoyed into the centre with no direction at all and we're expecting him to rip up trees. Diame was given dogs' abuse before he turned into a colossus under Rafa, he was well and truly written off as a pile of shite. I'm not suggesting Bentaleb will do the same because Bruce is a far cry from Rafa, but we just never seem to learn the lesson about the pitfalls of writing players off too early.

Might also be worth reading the Manquillo thread right now if you need another example.

I actually quite agree with this. His passing was actually worse than normal yesterday, but I thought he put himself about a bit more and nicked the ball a few times from the opposition. There's been some flashes of quality in his passing, along with some absolute howlers. Based on what I've seen I'd not write him off yet. If he can show a bit of desire and work rate I think there could be a player in there. Whether he's good enough to sign permanently we'd have to wait and see.

He’s often passing it back or sideways and id rather we buy someone who’s going to play it forward more often than not

We have one, he's called Jonjo Shelvey and apparently most people hate him. Can't fucking win at this club!  :lol:

He’s often passing it back or sideways and id rather we buy someone who’s going to play it forward more often than not

We have one, he's called Jonjo Shelvey and apparently most people hate him. Can't fucking win at this club!  :lol:

Most people dislike having him in the team because he's a lazy cunt who ALWAYS looks for the 50 yard ball over the top.

Most people dislike having him in the team because he's a lazy cunt who ALWAYS looks for the 50 yard ball over the top.

People fucking moan either way - too much sideways and backwards passing without him in the team, too much forward passing with him in the team.  :lol:

Given the fact none of our players are going to be coached into improving under this lot, i'd rather have Shelvey in the team every day of the week despite his alleged laziness. If you're hanging on the hope that the 3 Steves are going to turn one of Hayden, Longstaff or Bentaleb into the new Cabaye you might as well nod off again and carry on dreaming.

Really? If anything I feel he's been trying to overdo the long passes. What I am not seeing from either him or Shelvey is enough movement off the ball.

People fucking moan either way - too much sideways and backwards passing without him in the team, too much forward passing with him in the team.  :lol:

Given the fact none of our players are going to be coached into improving under this lot, i'd rather have Shelvey in the team every day of the week despite his alleged laziness. If you're hanging on the hope that the 3 Steves are going to turn one of Hayden, Longstaff or Bentaleb into the new Cabaye you might as well nod off again and carry on dreaming.

Aye, the only options are passing it sideways or backwards or wtfhoofing it 50 yards.

Aye, the only options are passing it sideways or backwards or wtfhoofing it 50 yards.

Shelvey finds his target a lot. To suggest otherwise is just blinkered nonsense.

Really? If anything I feel he's been trying to overdo the long passes. What I am not seeing from either him or Shelvey is enough movement off the ball.

Playing the ball forward isn’t the same as playing the ball long. Often Shelvey is going long. I’m saying it’s about time we have a CM who plays the ball positively. It’s taking it on the turn and playing it forward - could he short. But in the direction of attack.

Longstaff was doing that constantly at the end of last season before getting hurt. He’d turn and play an intelligent ball up.

Playing the ball forward isn’t the same as playing the ball long. Often Shelvey is going long. I’m saying it’s about time we have a CM who plays the ball positively. It’s taking it on the turn and playing it forward - could he short. But in the direction of attack.

Longstaff was doing that constantly at the end of last season before getting hurt. He’d turn and play an intelligent ball up.

Would be even better to have midfielders who actually do some running off the ball. Longstaff was good last season, but he has really struggled this time round. Bentaleb and Shelvey both are fairly static and like to stroll around in front of the back four. Although Bentaleb actually put himself about a bit yesterday, but his passing and general touch were poor.

If I was to pick a midfielder I'd like to copy off for a new one I think it'd be Emre. You know, just without the rampant racism and constant injuries.

Not Cabaye, Lee or Speed?

I can't really comment on Lee, I never saw him. I didn't really pay much attention to Speed. Young me saw him as boring next to Solano, Dyer and Robert. ((Actually Solano might be a good shout for a template too))

Cabaye was brilliant, but I loved the way Emre seemed to have ball carrying, passing and a cracking strike on him aswell.

If I was to pick a midfielder I'd like to copy off for a new one I think it'd be Emre. You know, just without the rampant racism and constant injuries.

I can't really comment on Lee, I never saw him. I didn't really pay much attention to Speed. Young me saw him as boring next to Solano, Dyer and Robert. ((Actually Solano might be a good shout for a template too))

Cabaye was brilliant, but I loved the way Emre seemed to have ball carrying, passing and a cracking strike on him aswell.

If you want to be entertained/become depressed (about now) grab some decent highlights from the Keegan years to watch Lee. He was absolutely brilliant.

giphy.gif

I'd have Speed over Emre any day.

Guest Howaythetoon

Emre had it all, needed a Rafa type coach to aid his fitness/discipline and tactical awareness though to turn him into a top top player.

Was super excited when we signed him.

Luque too.