Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Guest godzilla

Well we'll see. I'm not going to go round in circles, I expect this to fall through for the reasons I've given. Time will tell. I'll be over the moon to be wrong. :)

:thup:

Are they legally separate though which is the big question? PIF sources seems to indicate that they are, then that would be up to the law to distinguish

Why does this even matter? The law doesn't need to get involved at all. The directors' test just says that the PL need to believe that anyone who will have influence over the future of the club (Not even as a named director, ie Bin Salman) may have done something dodgy like piracy. Nothing in the directors' test requires anything to have been proven in a court of law, in fact it explicitly states that it does NOT have to be proven in a court of law - Just in the PL's reasonable opinion, iirc.

There's no requirement for there to be a legal link between the companies either, as they can just do all of this on Bin Salman as an individual. If they "reasonably think" that A) he's behind the piracy, and that B) he'll have significant influence over the club then they can squash this.

A) we all suspect strongly if we're honest, which is - by the wording of the PL test itself - enough.

B) is 100% going to be the case, I don't think anyone at all would be able to dispute this with any credibility.

Totally disagree with everything you're saying of course it legally matters. Why do you think that PIF are stating that they are a separate legal entity and why do you think you have legal professionals commenting and writing about this

a. Strongly suspect has nothing to do with it, by law a reasonable opinion HAS to be based on factual evidence

b. If PIF is a separate legal entity then this is certainly not 100% the case, legally it can be disputed and that's the whole point. It's not based on opinion it's what actually stands up within law

In The Football Law Report a footnote dated 2nd June 2020 indicating that Quatari and Saudi layers have accepted that PIF is a separate legal entity.

Not long to wait hopefully.

Guest godzilla

Chris_R is 100% right.

Nope but as Chris said we will see, mind you're one of the last people I would want to have an endorsement from  :lol:

Chris_R is 100% right.

Nope but as Chris said we will see, mind you're one of the last people I would want to have an endorsement from  :lol:

I've no idea if he is right or not just thought I'd stir the pot some more. Bit harsh the last part of your post mind.

Chris_R is 100% right.

I've no idea if he is right or not just thought I'd stir the pot some more. Bit harsh the last part of your post mind.

You’re not Odin by any chance :lol:

Chris_R is 100% right.

It’s not wrong though :lol:

"The UK government supports Saudi Arabia’s continued diversification efforts under its Vision 2030 strategy Saudi Arabia’s investments through its PIF form part of these efforts. The PIF invests in many sectors internationally, with their potential stake in the ownership of Newcastle United FC part of this wider investment.”

Seems positive to me :thup:

"The UK government supports Saudi Arabia’s continued diversification efforts under its Vision 2030 strategy Saudi Arabia’s investments through its PIF form part of these efforts. The PIF invests in many sectors internationally, with their potential stake in the ownership of Newcastle United FC part of this wider investment.”

Seems positive to me :thup:

Hopefully that's the nudge the PL needed to wake them from the Qatari-induced coma.

It would be naive to suggest off the record conversations hadn’t taken place. The Premier League wouldn’t want to be responsible for pissing the Saudis off, then the Saudis reducing investment in U.K.

Hopefully this holds more sway than any WTO findings.

Guest Carrick18

That note from the government sounds like a subtle 'push this through'. They can't comment, but they support the country's efforts, which in this instance, are buying Newcastle.

Guest The Little Waster

British GDP just fell 20% never mind NUFC , we Brits are going to need all the £££ in investment the Saudis can hoy at us . So on reflection , this ought to go through

That note from the government sounds like a subtle 'push this through'. They can't comment, but they support the country's efforts, which in this instance, are buying Newcastle.

After seeing the dire economic figures regarding our economy I can’t imagine the government would be too chuffed if an investor willing to put millions of pounds into a local region is turned away.

Close friends with Boris is wor Jamie.

Well if there was ever a surefire guarantor of smooth running and sheer competence, it certainly is our government getting involved!

I agree, they’re completely incompetent, however given the impact COVID and a potential no deal brexit they will want as much investment into the U.K. they can get from the Saudis.

Guest Carrick18

After seeing the dire economic figures regarding our economy I can’t imagine the government would be too chuffed if an investor willing to put millions of pounds into a local region is turned away.

That's the harsh reality of it really.

It sort of softens the blow knowing Newcastle the city will potentially benefit from it too.