Oba Martins

Benwell Lad

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I stand to be corrected but I believe Oba has made 22 appearances for us, 3 as a sub and he's scored 9 goals. For me, that is an incredible tally for a 22 year old coming into a new league. I can't think of a foreign striker that young who rivals that in recent history.

I stand to be corrected but I believe Oba has made 22 appearances for us, 3 as a sub and he's scored 9 goals. For me, that is an incredible tally for a 22 year old coming into a new league. I can't think of a foreign striker that young who rivals that in recent history.

14 starts and 1 sub appearance in the league scoring 7 goals.

Hard to find fault with that tbh

14 starts and 1 sub appearance in the league scoring 7 goals.

Hard to find fault with that tbh

nothing short of incredible, tbh

I'm not knocking him. But there is no room for sentiment in football.

Funny you should say that because it seems that its sentiment that's making you still rate Bellamy as high as you do.

I'm not one of those who thinks someone that scores 18 - 20 goals is better than someone who scores 10 - 15 goals. They are different types of players and I would rather have Bellamy in my team.

Then thank goodness you arent our manager.

Aimaad.....I mean because they are different players playing different roles ? A player who scored 10-15 goals and supports another forward player and creates situations etc can be a much better player than a player who scores 18-20 goals and doesn't really contribute in a footballing sense ? Also consider that simply looking at a goalscoring stat doesn't take into accout how many of those goals are scored when you are for instance already 2-0 up, or at home rather than playing away, or penalties possibly ???

I think Craig Bellamys worth to Newcastle couldn't be measured by goals alone, he transformed defence to attack, he prevented teams from pushing up against us and he without a doubt put 2-3 years on Alan Shearers career.

And Martins doesnt contribute anything to the team as a whole? I think his flicked header put through Dyer for his goal against Arsenal. And then that run from his own half to set up Duff for his goal against West Ham? You cant assume that somebody who scores 20 goals a season doesnt set up goals for others.

And that comment about goals being scored when we're 2-0 up and situations like that? What are you on about mate?  You are clutching at straws in your blind defence of Bellamy. Martins' two goals got us the win against Talinn, his two goals got us the win at Blackburn, his two goals got us the win against Watford, his penalty agaisnt Reading got us back into the game. Henry gets a lot of his goals against weaker teams, I think his last few hattricks have come agaisnt Fulham, Wigan and Watford. So you would have Bellamy in your team rather than him :roll:

There's no doubting Bellamy's committment, he always gave it his all. But he just hasnt got the class to be a top notch striker. He's the sort of player who's useful from time to time but thats about it. Here in Martins we've got a potentially world class striker. And Martins is supposed to be a very decent lad as well, dont see him causing the sort of unrest and trouble Bellamy did from time to time.

There's no way in hell I'd have him back, and Im glad to see most people think the same.

I dont think you can compare them efficiently because they perform different roles in the team. If anything I'd like to see the pair as a partnership, with Bellars working the channels and Martins doing his thing in the middle. However they both lack that bit of finesse in their game and might struggle to open up teams that sit back to defend.

Really really pleased with oba, wasn't quite going for him to start with despite his brilliant workrate, his confidence and luck were down, but i thought he'd come good and its proved to be the case. He has confidence now too and is a nightmare for defenders with his pace and strength. Would anyone seriously swap him for Bellers? No way i would! Bellers was very good for us and formed a very good partnership with our master craftsman Shearer, they complemented each other well. But i love the way we trying to keep the all on the floor and pass it more at the moment, rather than hoof it up to a big man and hope that bellamy may get a flick on, its better to watch and better technically too. I really like the look of Martins with Dyer and of course we will have Owen back in a few months whom Martins could play behind. Martins also seems non injury prone and a robust kind of player.

Really really pleased with oba, wasn't quite going for him to start with despite his brilliant workrate, his confidence and luck were down, but i thought he'd come good and its proved to be the case. He has confidence now too and is a nightmare for defenders with his pace and strength. Would anyone seriously swap him for Bellers? No way i would! Bellers was very good for us and formed a very good partnership with our master craftsman Shearer, they complemented each other well. But i love the way we trying to keep the all on the floor and pass it more at the moment, rather than hoof it up to a big man and hope that bellamy may get a flick on, its better to watch and better technically too. I really like the look of Martins with Dyer and of course we will have Owen back in a few months whom Martins could play behind. Martins also seems non injury prone and a robust kind of player.

Damn, you've just jinxed him, expect his hamstrings to go against Bolton!

I'm not knocking him. But there is no room for sentiment in football.

Funny you should say that because it seems that its sentiment that's making you still rate Bellamy as high as you do.

I'm not one of those who thinks someone that scores 18 - 20 goals is better than someone who scores 10 - 15 goals. They are different types of players and I would rather have Bellamy in my team.

Then thank goodness you arent our manager.

Aimaad.....I mean because they are different players playing different roles ? A player who scored 10-15 goals and supports another forward player and creates situations etc can be a much better player than a player who scores 18-20 goals and doesn't really contribute in a footballing sense ? Also consider that simply looking at a goalscoring stat doesn't take into accout how many of those goals are scored when you are for instance already 2-0 up, or at home rather than playing away, or penalties possibly ???

I think Craig Bellamys worth to Newcastle couldn't be measured by goals alone, he transformed defence to attack, he prevented teams from pushing up against us and he without a doubt put 2-3 years on Alan Shearers career.

And Martins doesnt contribute anything to the team as a whole? I think his flicked header put through Dyer for his goal against Arsenal. And then that run from his own half to set up Duff for his goal against West Ham? You cant assume that somebody who scores 20 goals a season doesnt set up goals for others.

And that comment about goals being scored when we're 2-0 up and situations like that? What are you on about mate?  You are clutching at straws in your blind defence of Bellamy.

I don't agree. Maybe using a goalscoring stat doesn't tell the full story is clutching at straws ?

Time will tell. Don't get me wrong, I hope he succeeds, of course I do. But I think it is quite sad that so many people have turned against Craig Bellamy because of the lies and incompetence of a fuckwit hopeless manager that smeared him and influenced their outlook in a bad way.

Martins' two goals got us the win against Talinn, his two goals got us the win at Blackburn, his two goals got us the win against Watford, his penalty agaisnt Reading got us back into the game. Henry gets a lot of his goals against weaker teams, I think his last few hattricks have come agaisnt Fulham, Wigan and Watford. So you would have Bellamy in your team rather than him :roll:

Well I said a while ago that if Martins had came in and scored goals like Andy Cole, people would not be questioning Roeder and we would see a notable change in results and attitude among supporters, so this is right. Will he become as good as Cole was do you think ? And yes, as I said they are different players, Bellamy maybe will not be a goalscorer like Martins, but was Peter Beardsley as good a goalscorer as Andy Cole ? Which of those would you choose between ?

There's no doubting Bellamy's committment, he always gave it his all. But he just hasnt got the class to be a top notch striker. He's the sort of player who's useful from time to time but thats about it. Here in Martins we've got a potentially world class striker. And Martins is supposed to be a very decent lad as well, dont see him causing the sort of unrest and trouble Bellamy did from time to time.

There's no way in hell I'd have him back, and Im glad to see most people think the same.

I think if he came back a hell of a lot of people would change their mind, there are a lot of fickle people around.

NE5 makes himself look stupid once again crying over Bellamy. bluebiggrin.gif

Bellamy did well for us, at times he carried the team but he's gone and has been replaced with a player who looks a much better prospect and he's doing it without the problems Bellamy got himself into.

Bellamy has gone, forget him, he's finally been replaced with somebody who looks as if they can do a better job for us once he's settled and removed the weaknesses from his game.

Oba cost £10M and Bellamy £6M. Oba really should be the better of them.

How much they cost has nothing to do with how good they are.

Bellamy cost £6 million because we bought a player who struggled for relegated Coventry, Martins cost £10 million partly because of where we bought him from.

I think Martins would have been cheaper if we had got him from relegated Coventry.  The transfer fee isn't always a guide as to how good a player is, outside factors also play a part.

Add his 5 assists to that and his involvement in other goals and he doesn't look too bad does he?  bluebiggrin.gif

Boumsong 8m.

Luque 9.5m

:lol:

What has that got to do with either Bellamy or Martins?

This?

Boumsong 8m.

Luque 9.5m

I am not the slightest bit surprised you don't understand this.

Boumsong 8m.

Luque 9.5m

This?

:(

Boumsong 8m.

Luque 9.5m

I'm running a bit slow today.

Boumsong 8m.

Luque 9.5m

I'm running a bit slow again as usual.

edited for truth

Bellamy cost £6 million because we bought a player who struggled for relegated Coventry, Martins cost £10 million partly because of where we bought him from.

I think Martins would have been cheaper if we had got him from relegated Coventry. The transfer fee isn't always a guide as to how good a player is, outside factors also play a part.

Of course, but my point is that when Newcastle buy two strikers for £6M and £10M I EXPECT the more expensive of the two to be the better one, which I think he has proved to be. And Bellamy went for the same fee (£6M) to Blackburn and to Liverpool.

Guest elbee909

Boumsong 8m.

Luque 9.5m

I'm running a bit slow again as usual.

edited for truth

Looks like it was just quoted rather than edited.  Everybody's slow on Boxing Day. :)

I think Martins would have been cheaper if we had got him from relegated Coventry. The transfer fee isn't always a guide as to how good a player is, outside factors also play a part.

Of course, but my point is that when Newcastle buy two strikers for £6M and £10M I EXPECT the more expensive of the two to be the better one, which I think he has proved to be. And Bellamy went for the same fee (£6M) to Blackburn and to Liverpool.

so what do you think of a defender who cost 8m quid  :roll: