Oba Martins

Benwell Lad

Didn't Bellamy win Young Player of the Year in his first season with us? (Not that winning that award means much - after all, Jenas won it the year after...)

Anyone got a link to a bookies to see what odds Oba is paying to win this year - and please no cracks about his age, it's so 2006...

And frankly I think anyone who would swap Bellamy for Oba needs professional help!

We forget that Bellamy had a good foil in Alan Shearer, Martins is the main man at the moment all the pressure is on him. After a sluggish start the lad has adapted well, he has a few things to work on, but if he irons some of them out like his decision making and off the ball running he will develop into one of the best strikers in the Premier League. Whilst Bellamy is good I wouldn't rate him amounst the best in the Premiership. His form for Blackburn last season was hot and he is coming into a good spell with Liverpool but I would take Martins over Bellamy.

Its an important point that needs to be realised.

Bellamy brought much more creativity to the team, worked the flanks and had much more of a free role.

Martins doesnt have that freedom, although he has much to learn, especially with regards to making and timing runs.

This does play in our favour for when Owen returns though as the qualities he has shown now should and hopefully will gel with Owen as a strike partner.

It would be interesting to see how Martins would operate alongside an out and out striker though.

PS. Bellamy was very impressive in his first year, proving all his doubters wrong, although his finishing left much to be desired at times he was a breath of fresh air to our team, a genius move from SBR.

why all the comparing to bellamy,andy cole would be a better comparison.

Why?

Cole had Beardsley beside him for almost the entirety of his time here and was playing in an up-and-coming team with a top-class manager and no fear. Martins has been partnered with Sibierski, Ameobi, Dyer and others in a very average side with an average manager.

All the comparisons are fairly ridiculous, if you ask me, but a good way to whittle away time.

Why?

Cole had Beardsley beside him for almost the entirety of his time here and was playing in an up-and-coming team with a top-class manager and no fear. Martins has been partnered with Sibierski, Ameobi, Dyer and others in a very average side with an average manager.

All the comparisons are fairly ridiculous, if you ask me, but a good way to whittle away time.

martins is closer in style to cole,ie get me the ball in the box and i'll get a shot off.

as you saythe circumstances are vastly different,all the more galling how much stick martins is taking in some quarters

Why?

martins is closer in style to cole,ie get me the ball in the box and i'll get a shot off.

as you saythe circumstances are vastly different,all the more galling how much stick martins is taking in some quarters

Agree 100%, although I have to stay he fucking winds me up when he strolls around up front and when he doesn't make any decent runs. Suppose it will come, though, a 22-year-old is never going to be the finished article - in fact, nobody is.

Guest Sniffer

Martin's has a lot to learn about the game before he can ever be compared to some of the players mentioned here. Scoring spectacular goals is great but he has to markedly improve his overall game and awareness of other players like when he played in Butt. One thing that is pissing me off in his game at the moment is when he drops deep looking for the ball and then gives it away cheaply. When he's so deep it's dangerous and sets the other team going as we tend to push up. Looking for the ball is one thing which is fine but loosing it like he does hurts us.

Guest Knightrider

Well 20 odd games in and we are in a much better position to judge...

Pros

Very fast

Great leap

Strong

Two good feet

Technically very gifted

Packs a punch

Has an eye for goal

Works hard

Cons

Poor positional awareness

Doesn't read play too well

Indecisive

Poor communicator

Too impatient

Overall

Excellent prospect, can only get better, very pleased and much better than I expected, really excited about his talent.

All his minus points can be worked on too as he's only 22 and it would be unfair to be too critical. I'd love to see him playing in a good team with a partner suited to his game and vice versa, I think he'd be unstopable I really do, scary almost.

Well 20 odd games in and we are in a much better position to judge...

Pros

Very fast

Great leap

Strong

Two good feet

Technically very gifted

Packs a punch

Has an eye for goal

Works hard

Cons

Poor positional awareness

Doesn't read play too well

Indecisive

Poor communicator

Too impatient

Overall

Excellent prospect, can only get better, very pleased and much better than I expected, really excited about his talent.

All his minus points can be worked on too as he's only 22 and it would be unfair to be too critical. I'd love to see him playing in a good team with a partner suited to his game and vice versa, I think he'd be unstopable I really do, scary almost.

Those cons are just crying out for a fuking proper coach to work with. Aggghhhh!

BTW, no i dont mean you, you'd end up breaking him or deleting his registration or summit. ;)

There's an article doing the rounds about Martins mother being over and GR is saying its improved his morale.

But he reckons his mother is responsible for his turn around in the West Ham game with her home cooking.

WTF did she do, spoon feed the fuker at half time with super Nigerian stew?

GR = 100% off his tits

Guest Geordiesned

There's an article doing the rounds about Martins mother being over and GR is saying its improved his morale.

But he reckons his mother is responsible for his turn around in the West Ham game with her home cooking.

GR = 100% off his tits

Exactly what I thought when I read that today. :lol:

GR = 100% off his tits

Exactly what I thought when I read that today. :lol:

;D

Oba's mother now on the payrole as head chef!

Come on the Oba family!!!!

Edit: In fact fuk that, Martins mother can take HT team talks while she's at it.

i love the tremendous upside of having oba in the team, but i do get a wee bit concerned when i see him doing antics like the mock salute he gave the referee.  i think there's a side to him that could yield to the temptation to become a diving whinger, and i would HATE that.  the 2 most attractive elements of the english game, for me anyway, are the pace/speed of the game & the physical, "it's a man's game" aspect of it.  oba has plenty of attributes and talent to make it in the EPL without going over to the dark side ala c. ronaldo.

Guest NSMagpie

Martins is a better all-round player than Bellamy for me with a lot more potential but Bellamy was ideal for that SBR team and of course Big Al so was very very effective, even when he wasn't scoring or setting chances up. As others have said his running and work-rate often galvanised the team and in many ways he was a catalyst. Martins is more of an individual at the moment and isn't quite as effective to the team as Bellamy was. However, Martins isn't playing in a great team or alongside a great partner like Bellamy was so his 9 goals in 22 starts is nothing short of remarkable, especially given his age and the whole adapting factor. As AS9 says, I'm not sure a young foreign player coming to the Premiership has had such a start as Martins and long may it continue.

Exactly. The text in bold is crucial IMHO.

BTW, bear in mind that Martins actually lost his place in the Inter first team, and was considered to be lacking efficiency in scoring. However, although his individual qualities are great, I don't hink that he doesn't galvanize the entire team- his brilliant assists and passes show he's mature beyond his agem and able to play for the team even when not in the out-and-out striker position.

Guest NSMagpie

Mick man, you DO have a sense of humor, right?

Fellow countryman, it seems you got the names wrong. I guess you meant "NE5, man, you DO have a sense of humor, right?"

Guest NSMagpie

Mick man, you DO have a sense of humor, right?

Fellow countryman, it seems you got the names wrong. I guess you meant "NE5, man, you DO have a sense of humour, right?"

Fixed it for you both. ;)

Thanks. I owe you.  ;)