Joe Willock

11 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Why would we play Murphy as a box to box midfielder?

Is that the role Willock plays? I would say he plays the role of an attacking midfield player.I believe Fraser could play a box to box role.

Edited by tomlynnherrington

I like Joe Willock, but he just doesn't seem like a first 11 player yet.

Should be an option off the bench for now. Hope we can get another starter in midfield before the window closes.

Edited by KaKa

18 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

I would imagine Murphy’s stats playing in the same position would be superior.

Then aye you are bonkers, Murphy has played only as a winger for 99% of his career. So you whack him in CM, well Attacking CM as you see it and expect him to be better than Willock.

Maybe you need focus on the whole role, Willock covers back works hard off the ball, not that Murphy wouldn't or doesn't, but in CM/ACM he would be lost defensively.

1 minute ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Is that the role Willock plays? I would say he plays the role of an attacking midfield player.

He plays on the right or left of a midfield 3, that could be as an attacking midfielder but it's not really been Willock's role. He did scored more goals than Thiago did from there last season though, I'm not sure what that means like.

5 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Then aye you are bonkers, Murphy has played only as a winger for 99% of his career. So you whack him in CM, well Attacking CM as you see it and expect him to be better than Willock.

Maybe you need focus on the whole role, Willock covers back works hard off the ball, not that Murphy wouldn't or doesn't, but in CM/ACM he would be lost defensively.

He’s played right back for us on more than a few occasions and also right sided midfield.I’ve never suggested playing him CM or as an attacking CM.Actually reading my posts would be advisable before posting. You’re coming across as being more bonkers than me !!

10 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

He plays on the right or left of a midfield 3, that could be as an attacking midfielder but it's not really been Willock's role. He did scored more goals than Thiago did from there last season though, I'm not sure what that means like.

I thought Thiago played in a more holding role alongside the thick mackem.

Not sure many feel that Murphy has shown enough to be a serious contender to start for us. Whereas, in patches I think Willock has. He is also 5 years younger than Murphy. I like the latter, but if a player is doing it by 27 I don’t think there is much chance of a significant improvement in the last third of his career. 

3 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Not sure many feel that Murphy has shown enough to be a serious contender to start for us. Whereas, in patches I think Willock has. He is also 5 years younger than Murphy. I like the latter, but if a player is doing it by 27 I don’t think there is much chance of a significant improvement in the last third of his career. 

We all know we lack creativity.Which of our players are capable of creating chances,or even putting half decent balls into the box? How many crosses are put into the box  during a game? How many would Shearer score,in his prime,in our current team? I think our current squad could easily finish 11th,12th or 13th.Sorry to bring his name up again but Maddison and another proven Premier League quality midfield player and another striker would have me feeling quite confident about finish 8th or 9th. 

28 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

He’s played right back for us on more than a few occasions and also right sided midfield.I’ve never suggested playing him CM or as an attacking CM.Actually reading my posts would be advisable before posting. You’re coming across as being more bonkers than me !!

Well you think he would offer more than Willock, now if you're saying that as a like for like positional change as you seemed to be then it wouldn't work. If you're implying a system change, which you haven't indicated then that's different.

In either event, Willock offers far more than Murphy, no matter what the stats say, your eyes should tell you that.

1 hour ago, Bimpy474 said:

Well you think he would offer more than Willock, now if you're saying that as a like for like positional change as you seemed to be then it wouldn't work. If you're implying a system change, which you haven't indicated then that's different.

In either event, Willock offers far more than Murphy, no matter what the stats say, your eyes should tell you that.

As a like for like positional change I’m saying Murphy would be more creative than Willock.I know stats don’t always tell everything but 2 goals and no assists do tell you something,bearing in mind you get an assist for merely humping the ball 60 yards into the box if it leads directly to a goal.I’d expect Fraser to create more playing in the same role.If you are seeing a goal threat or a possible assist in his play then your eyes are seeing things no one else is.I find it frustrating seeing Almiron cut inside,right to left,then cut back again with Willock never being an option.Of course Eddie could be telling him not to make runs,not to create or put balls into the box to Wilson.

47 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

As a like for like positional change I’m saying Murphy would be more creative than Willock.I know stats don’t always tell everything but 2 goals and no assists do tell you something,bearing in mind you get an assist for merely humping the ball 60 yards into the box if it leads directly to a goal.I’d expect Fraser to create more playing in the same role.If you are seeing a goal threat or a possible assist in his play then your eyes are seeing things no one else is.I find it frustrating seeing Almiron cut inside,right to left,then cut back again with Willock never being an option.Of course Eddie could be telling him not to make runs,not to create or put balls into the box to Wilson.

With the exception of the Murphy being more creative, and i don't really see Frazer in there, i tend to agree with what you've said there.

I would point out that Willock, Bruno and Joe are in decent position at times, with the quality of Miggy and ASM's pull-backs at fault a fair amount of the time, a real head down than a head up pass.

I think that's where we're at, at lack of quality in that final pass or decision to be in the top 7 or 8. But that's the build we're aiming at, it's going to take time, which we all have to have patience with.

Edited by Bimpy474

2 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Thiago and Henderson play as 'number 8s' mainly with Fabinho in the middle.

I've said before I think Willock looks like he would make a better forward but his current role in the squad isn't reliant on his goals or creativity.

Do you think his main role is to protect Trippier? Trippier isn’t an attacking,overlapping fullback so why play an attacking midfield player in front of him.

6 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

With the exception of the Murphy being more creative, and i don't really see Frazer in there, i tend to agree with what you've said there.

I would point out that Willock, Bruno and Joe are in decent position at times, with the quality of Miggy and ASM's pull-backs at fault a fair amount of the time, a real head down and than head up pass.

I think that's where we're at, at lack of quality in that final pass or decision to be in the top 7 or 8. But that's the build we're aiming at, it's going to take time, which we all have to have patience with.

That's how I see it as well. Those two are part of a front three let's not forget, it's their job to be delivering goals and assists.

7 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

I would point out that Willock, Bruno and Joe are in decent position at times, with the quality of Miggy and ASM's pull-backs at fault a fair amount of the time, a real head down and than head up pass.

Maybe I’m getting a bit frustrated because we’re lacking creative players.A few early crosses would be nice and even better if we had more than Wilson in the box.

He basically made the winner v Leicester regardless of this 'no assists' stat, and in doing so did more than Murphy did all season. I like Murphy, but he's not on the same level.

Guest HTT II
43 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Willock can finish. I think he could convert to a striker like Henry did. 

I’d like to see him converted to a more advanced forward role other than the wing or central midfield, so agreed.