Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

people need to cheer up a little

Pretty hard to be cheerful when you go from 5th to 2 points above relegation and you see Ba leave the club and his replacement is off to the team who is 20th in the table and the club captain could very well be leaving.

We have won 5 games all season, with no away wins and 9 defeats in our last 12 games.

Hardly surprising people are struggling to remain positive.

brooding about it does no good and isn't healthy, we've been through worse times than this and come out the other end fine we will this time too. Think positive

While i agree, its still hardly surprising people are feeling down  O0

I don't get how some can be so certain that we're going down, when it's only half-way and we're not even in the relegation zone (and haven't been all season, i don't think?). I know, we learn from past failures, but i still don't think we'll go. If Coloccini goes and we don't replace him, i'll probably re-think that, but as it stands i'm close to certain that we'll nick enough points to come about 15th.

I said in this thread recently that it's not so much about "i don't know where the next win is coming from"... more, "i don't know where the next clean sheet is coming from." The shut-out at Norwich could have massive implications, because i believe there's plenty of goals in this team, with or without a new strikers. We might not have played well, but that clean sheet away from home should give the defenders' confidence an enormous boost. Another against Reading (as well as three points) would be terrific, given our current situation.

All that, and that we played extremely well against Manu and Arsenal for 70 minutes, only for the manager to (practically single-handedly) feed us to the dogs in the latter stages with some painfully shite decisions. Hopefully he's learned from them.

yorkie, the manyoo and arsenal games are anomalous to me because both of them let you play against them if you so choose...take them away and we've always looked like utter shite against teams who aren't open - absolutely nothing has changed at all in reality

pardew doesn't have a clue, he'll make some new or oft-repeated selection/tactical decision against reading and we'll struggle like fuck...he'll then try to change and we'll either got out of jail or we won't...unless of course his plan a works and someone scores a few goals out of nothing

take the following team for reading: krul, debuch, santon, colo, willo, perch (DM), cabaye, anita, marv, cisse, obertan

no shola, no jonas

that team should be able to go out and play nice attacking football, but even if he plays it it won't do that, they'll huff and they'll puff and they'll throw long balls to cisse 'til everyone wants it all to end

this is why people are considering relegation, on paper we've got a team of artists but they're being made to emulsion walls as someone else said

I might possibly take a relegation if it meant Ashley selling up like. Possibly.

He won't sell though, that's the difficulty. I think we are stuck with them all for quite some time and eventually will run us into the ground

I might possibly take a relegation if it meant Ashley selling up like. Possibly.

ashley just needs to cotton on that a good manager could save him money in the long run and that pardew is not a good manager

pick up the phone, ring someone up who knows something about football and ask them who is a better manager who can work in the system...i honestly think it's as simple as that, as much as i believe he could/should spend more i don't think it's the be all and end all, a semi-competent manager would have had us nowhere near this mess imo

This season has a lot of hallmarks of a side that could get relegated. We should of had Remy in the bag for as soon as the window opened. We dithered and QPR got the time they needed to gazump us.

Still need two centre backs and a striker. All have to be quality first team players. If we fail to do that it will cement us to a bottom 5 finish where we may go down.

Jonas will be shoehorned in there somehow - probably in for Marveux.  Don't write off his capability to get Shola in there as well.

It's not ideal and this has more to do with Pardzilla's attacking philosophy . But given the long-ball delivery into the forward line, Cisse is probably better off on the wing (or on the edge of a front 3) with the license to drift/ghost into the box off-the-ball.  Cisse doesn't have the tools (ie. Ba's explosiveness) to win the goalside position , turning 50/50's into genuine snapshot opportunities, see Ba. Give Shola what is a thankless task (under Pardzilla) of wrestling with the centrehalves. Anchoring the forward line, in the manner perscribed on the weekend, will further destroy a footballer (certainly above Pardzilla's station of understanding) who is grasping for a glimmer of hope, in a system which is foreign to him.

Of course the downside of this (because of Cisse's natural instinct to drift in, and barely cover the fb )  - it makes for a tough PL induction for Debuchy.

Jonas will be shoehorned in there somehow - probably in for Marveux.  Don't write off his capability to get Shola in there as well.

It's not ideal and this has more to do with Pardzilla's attacking philosophy . But given the long-ball delivery into the forward line, Cisse is probably better off on the wing (or on the edge of a front 3) with the license to drift/ghost into the box off-the-ball.  Cisse doesn't have the tools (ie. Ba's explosiveness) to win the goalside position , turning 50/50's into genuine snapshot opportunities, see Ba. Give Shola what is a thankless task (under Pardzilla) of wrestling with the centrehalves. Anchoring the forward line, in the manner perscribed on the weekend, will further destroy a footballer (certainly above Pardzilla's station of understanding) who is grasping for a glimmer of hope, in a system which is foreign to him.

Of course the downside of this (because of Cisse's natural instinct to drift in, and barely cover the fb )  - it makes for a tough PL induction for Debuchy.

If he wants to play that way I would be seriously tempted to play ranger up front as he is actually useful in the air, Shola is not and never has been any good in the air

No. I dont ever want to experience relegation again.

You may want to close your eyes now then :) - it's scary shit where we are right now and there is a real possibility we will experience that league again, it was fun the last time round but not something I want to experience again tbh

Not relegation. That Championship season turned out to be bearable because we had the perfect squad for that sort of season.

This time would be different. It would transform us into a Championship club. It would be disastrous.

this is my fear- we sacked all the players that dug us out the shit last time.

I´m starting to feel that the only way we are going to win matches is to play 4-4-2 with long ball at Shola and a hard working midfield with Jonas. It hurts so bad to say that. But I think that the only chance we have. We can´t, Pardew can´t, win in another way.

If he wants to play that way I would be seriously tempted to play ranger up front as he is actually useful in the air, Shola is not and never has been any good in the air

Aye, i forgot about Ranger & what he actually offers. Arguably the best case scenario (ie. His inclusion) in what is a shocking attacking dynamic, given Pardzilla's lack of trust in & inability to coach a fluid pass&move brand of footy. It's not the ideal learning environment for the youngsters ie. Ranger & Adam Campbell.

I´m starting to feel that the only way we are going to win matches is to play 4-4-2 with long ball at Shola and a hard working midfield with Jonas. It hurts so bad to say that. But I think that the only chance we have. We can´t, Pardew can´t, win in another way.

this is probably the right answer, revert back to his only real defined plan and try to 1-0 our way to the end of the season

ashley just needs to cotton on that a good manager could save him money in the long run and that pardew is not a good manager

pick up the phone, ring someone up who knows something about football and ask them who is a better manager who can work in the system...i honestly think it's as simple as that, as much as i believe he could/should spend more i don't think it's the be all and end all, a semi-competent manager would have had us nowhere near this mess imo

I agree, Ashley seems to make more bad decisions than good though, they tend to add up over time.

The last few games, it has become pretty clear to me that we are going down.

I still believe in what Lambert is trying to do, but it's too much, too soon. It's like the Tories and the economy. I can see they need to do something with spending, but the rapidity of it is doing huge damage.

I fear we will have to go down before we really start to improve.

Too many youngsters, heads drop too easily, and they're nigh on impossible to lift after a bad sequence of results.