Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

It’s a great point in the grand scheme of things. This team still has last season’s character in abundance, but the lack of any creativity is a real concern. Proud of them overall though, they gave it 100% effort, no doubt about that. Hopefully the performances will improve now that we have some easier-looking league fixtures coming up.

I’m really not sure why Eddie wanted Tonali so badly at this point though. It seems that him and Bruno are best suited to the exact same position so Tonali just looks awkward right now where he is currently played.

Edited by Wandy

17 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

I know I might seem the weirdo here but i’m on the train back to Verona and i’m going again ?

90% of the pitches in the top standard of football across europe are the same size but you’ll still hear players talk about somewhere being a big pitch. No one says St James’ is a big pitch but Wembley or Old Trafford are despite being exactly the same.

Both Wembley and OT are bigger pitches than SJP…

17 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

And the San Siro is a Holy Shit ground when you walk into it even with no one it it, presume Dortmund will be the same. So why you wouldn’t go and train there or at least have a look when you have the opportunity doesn’t make sense to me. Different story for teams used to going to these type of places.

Because then you're lending credence to the idea that you should be nervous about playing there. "Hey guys we need to go get used to this because otherwise you'll be scared shitless" then the players are thinking "shit, should I be scared?"

Totally understand the logic behind treating it like any other ground.

42 minutes ago, Jagten said:

You can be happy with the result without reverse-engineering the performance, or giving anyone grief for discussing our issues in the game. It wasn't particularly close tonight and we should have been comfortably beaten. 

Not at all.  Teams like Milan eke out draws away from home in Europe and it's classed as tactical.  We do it and presumably we should have been comfortably beaten.  Not having it.

28 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

I know I might seem the weirdo here but i’m on the train back to Verona and i’m going again ?

90% of the pitches in the top standard of football across europe are the same size but you’ll still hear players talk about somewhere being a big pitch. No one says St James’ is a big pitch but Wembley or Old Trafford are despite being exactly the same. Players talk about angles being different, harder to judge length of long passes etc because of how close or far the stands are away from the pitch. The opposition can make it big as well, but every pitch is different despite being the same.

And the San Siro is a Holy Shit ground when you walk into it even with no one it it, presume Dortmund will be the same. So why you wouldn’t go and train there or at least have a look when you have the opportunity doesn’t make sense to me. Different story for teams used to going to these type of places.

Not think he said “just a pitch” to down play the occasion? We made a big deal of Wembley, looking at the pitch the day before and it didn’t go well.

I honestly think we are scrapping out results as best as we can at the moment because we have completely lost our "mojo" and look out of sorts.

Only way to get it back is training hard and pairing the right players. Some combinations just don't work as well as others...

We need time and patience until we start whacking teams again.

Good point tonight after a painful watch. I was lucky, there was nothing to cheer at all so my "incognito" presence went unnoticed!:celb:

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

Not think he said “just a pitch” to down play the occasion? We made a big deal of Wembley, looking at the pitch the day before and it didn’t go well.

We got a bigger doing tonight than we did at Wembley despite the result.

33 minutes ago, Jagten said:

They created a lot more good chances. We created none. 

Wasn’t that the case almost every draw last season at our place, teams came and got overrun by us and left with a point. We did the same tonight that’s all.

Eddies first every game in Europe - away to a CL semi finalist with the two Joes out injured yet he’s managed to get us a point here and a win and a draw in 3 days with two clean sheets to boot.

Things could be a damn site worse 

7 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Wasn’t that the case almost every draw last season at our place, teams came and got overrun by us and left with a point. We did the same tonight that’s all.

Eddies first every game in Europe - away to a CL semi finalist with the two Joes out injured yet he’s managed to get us a point here and a win and a draw in 3 days with two clean sheets to boot.

Things could be a damn site worse 

On individual games this is possible, but as an average over the season our luck was probably par. 

Results are mostly just noisy realisations of a random process. We're all just trying to work out what the underlying trend might be from a small sample size. I think there's stuff to be semi-concerned about, is all.

1 hour ago, Wilson said:

Tell us why

Taking a wild guess, I’d say it (I.e.  the should have been comfortably beaten comment) was probably to do with the 15 shots to 2—7 to 0 on target—difference  between the teams. When was the last time we had two shots/none on target and did we get anything out of the game? 

11 minutes ago, Cornah said:

To all the sopping whinging vaginas twisting about an away point at the SanSiro and are disappointed’ Get a fuckin grip you bellends..

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

25 minutes ago, Cornah said:

To all the sopping whinging vaginas twisting about an away point at the SanSiro and are disappointed’ Get a fuckin grip you bellends..

No one is complaining about the result ffs

Edited by nufc123

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Literally true - and checkable on the internet, you daft sod

If they have the space every pitch in the Premier League and UEFA competitions is 105x68.

St James, Wembley, Bernabeu, Nou Camp, Old Trafford. All exactly the same. Some used to be bigger but they haven’t been for about five years.

Edited by Bellis80

With a ref letting lots go, RLC on Bruno multiple times, we needed Joelinton on the pitch. He was a big miss. Part of our game is counter-pressing, losing the ball and winning it back in good areas, but we were not physical enough to do it in this game. Or on other occasions so far this season. Willock would have helped too. This is on top of the obvious need for relationships to develop between new additions like Gordon, Tonali, Barnes, etc. and their team-mates. This will take time.

The main thing though, like the City away game, is that we restricted elite opponents on their own pitch to mostly half chances.

I wouldn't expect much more than this until we are more established as a CL team.