Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I just think he’s more that than tactician. Not that he doesn’t have  any tactics. Clearly there’s a defined style he wants to implement - it requires defined characteristics. But it doesn’t seem to change significantly or have massive variations. We’ve played 4 tough teams with different styles and from what I can see, the tactics have been largely the same. If Howe can motivate the players to do those tactics to the best of the players ability we do well. 

Pep is regarded as the master tactician. He adapts his tactics and line up to the opposition. As far as I can see, Howe doesn’t really do that.  I keep banging on about it but we had issues in the half space against Villa but the press overpowered, we’ve had the same problems against City and Brighton. But in glimpses against Brighton I see Howe’s intention. 

Bit harsh comparing him to Pep. He’ll never be his level. 

maybe once we can truly spend some major cash we’ll start seeing a variety of players come in that’ll allow Howe/us to mix it up. 

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I just think he’s more that than tactician. Not that he doesn’t have  any tactics. Clearly there’s a defined style he wants to implement - it requires defined characteristics. But it doesn’t seem to change significantly or have massive variations. We’ve played 4 tough teams with different styles and from what I can see, the tactics have been largely the same. If Howe can motivate the players to do those tactics to the best of the players ability we do well. 

Pep is regarded as the master tactician. He adapts his tactics and line up to the opposition. As far as I can see, Howe doesn’t really do that.  I keep banging on about it but we had issues in the half space against Villa but the press overpowered, we’ve had the same problems against City and Brighton. But in glimpses against Brighton I see Howe’s intention. 

While we rarely change shape, there's plenty of examples of us making little tweaks such as altering our press, playing certain attacking patterns or changing personnel depending on the opposition.

10 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

While we rarely change shape, there's plenty of examples of us making little tweaks such as altering our press, playing certain attacking patterns or changing personnel depending on the opposition.

Aye we make small changes because Howe is not a dinosaur but the adaptations are small. It’s more about imposing our general approach.  We don’t really change personnel because of opposition - maybe a winger at home like when we had ASM. This season if not for injuries we would’ve started the same XI 4 games on the bounce. He’s not a ‘horses for courses’ type manager from what I’ve seen so far.  And that’s fine. 

25 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye we make small changes because Howe is not a dinosaur but the adaptations are small. It’s more about imposing our general approach.  We don’t really change personnel because of opposition - maybe a winger at home like when we had ASM. This season if not for injuries we would’ve started the same XI 4 games on the bounce. He’s not a ‘horses for courses’ type manager from what I’ve seen so far.  And that’s fine. 

It’s not really fine, though. We’re going through a transitional phase now where at home most teams will block deep against us and away, a lot of teams will come at us and stretch the game. 

57 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

Twitter in general has definitely gone to shit since Musk wanted to make it more down with the kids. Absolutely fucking ruined it.

Sort of agree with the point, but I’d argue it was right wing bell ends who get annoyed by Gen-Z hat he was trying to get on board, if anything he’s alienated the kids since a king over.

7 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

It’s not really fine, though. We’re going through a transitional phase now where at home most teams will block deep against us and away, a lot of teams will come at us and stretch the game. 

I think if we do Plan A well enough we could go unbeaten in the next 6. A couple wins and the confidence and commitment comes back. Maybe we find it hard to break Brentford down and try different things. 

8 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Sort of agree with the point, but I’d argue it was right wing bell ends who get annoyed by Gen-Z hat he was trying to get on board, if anything he’s alienated the kids since a king over.

It's always been the pits. It's the extremes of every argument trying to shout over the top of each other. 

I think:

Pope, keep it very simple.

Burn will struggle badly as a CB with the way we play. 

Tactically, the mid 3 of Bruno, Sandro and JL is not good enough.

It’s like having 3 permanent 8s. Any of them can hold the 6 position if they find themselves there situationally but they must then play it with discipline. And none of them are acting as 10s when finding themselves there situationally either. It’s making us rather staid in an area we should be strongest.

We are far, far too static in attack. When our midfielders or passing defenders have the ball there is no where near enough movement from the attacking wide players especially. We look very ‘set’ in formation. it seems to me like the wide players are very conscious of their roles without the ball.

I think we often try and progress the ball into the last 3rd by running it, not clever incisive passing.

Our running off the ball compared Brighton was was extremely poor.

It’s clearly a tricky balance. I think our pressing system would be even better if we could evolve it so players press from the position they’re in regardless if it’s their normal position. So if our attack is more fluid, positionally and someone finds themselves at RWF, then press in the same way Almiron would and cut off the same lanes he would. 

However, if we’re not going to press, like the way we sat off Brighton at times, we have to compress the space because we were awful, porous and we didn’t adjust at all. Was really rather perplexing.

7 hours ago, Lotus said:

I think:

Pope, keep it very simple.

Burn will struggle badly as a CB with the way we play. 

Tactically, the mid 3 of Bruno, Sandro and JL is not good enough.

It’s like having 3 permanent 8s. Any of them can hold the 6 position if they find themselves there situationally but they must then play it with discipline. And none of them are acting as 10s when finding themselves there situationally either. It’s making us rather staid in an area we should be strongest.

We are far, far too static in attack. When our midfielders or passing defenders have the ball there is no where near enough movement from the attacking wide players especially. We look very ‘set’ in formation. it seems to me like the wide players are very conscious of their roles without the ball.

I think we often try and progress the ball into the last 3rd by running it, not clever incisive passing.

Our running off the ball compared Brighton was was extremely poor.

Agreed. 

We ended the the Brighton game with a burn back at LB. If Botman isn’t fit I wonder if we start Brentford the way we ended Brighton at the back? As we are at home to a side that’s not as good I hope he brings in Hall and we try something else. I hope he brings in Hall regardless but I do not anticipate it. 

The way the midfield 3 is setup isn’t working. But because of the opposition, the newness of Tonali and the injury to Joelinton I think he’ll persist with it or just bring Longstaff back.  I would like to see us setup differently off the ball. But I think he’ll go into Brentford with a variation of Plan A. 

Agreed about progression in midfield. Joelinton has been off it all season. And Willock is the best at running with it into space and he’s been a massive miss. Teams are preventing Bruno from passing it. As much as I like Tonali. He’s not as good as Willock at running it and he’s not as good as Bruno at passing through the lines.  I don’t expect Howe to change us from a running midfield to a passing midfield because we lost these 3 games.  I think we need to change our defensive approach  though but again due to the opposition faced and the opposition next - I just don’t expect him too.

8 hours ago, Lotus said:

It’s clearly a tricky balance. I think our pressing system would be even better if we could evolve it so players press from the position they’re in regardless if it’s their normal position. So if our attack is more fluid, positionally and someone finds themselves at RWF, then press in the same way Almiron would and cut off the same lanes he would. 

However, if we’re not going to press, like the way we sat off Brighton at times, we have to compress the space because we were awful, porous and we didn’t adjust at all. Was really rather perplexing.

The single worst aspect of our game from Villa till now has been our off the ball position when not pressing. I really liked the way Man U setup against Arsenal. Compact. 

Edited by The College Dropout

The fact we brought in 2 young athletic defenders makes me think the club have been thinking about an evolution of the defence for a while. 

I would think Tonali will turn out to be an important player. He’s new to it all and unfortunately, we’re a little dysfunctional atm but I’ve no doubt we’ll sort it out. We’ve had rough patches before and come through them.

Would be delighted if we see Hall next game. Sad to say it seems Targett has lost his mojo. What ever happened seems to have really set him back. Like the lad a lot, seems a good egg. Shame for him but this seems to have been going on a while. 

10 hours ago, Lotus said:

The fact we brought in 2 young athletic defenders makes me think the club have been thinking about an evolution of the defence for a while. 

I would think Tonali will turn out to be an important player. He’s new to it all and unfortunately, we’re a little dysfunctional atm but I’ve no doubt we’ll sort it out. We’ve had rough patches before and come through them.

Would be delighted if we see Hall next game. Sad to say it seems Targett has lost his mojo. What ever happened seems to have really set him back. Like the lad a lot, seems a good egg. Shame for him but this seems to have been going on a while. 

I don't think it'll be just the defence.

I think now is when Howe what he's about. We played some brilliant, intense football last season. So far this season, we look less intense, teams are getting between the lines, Isak looks a little isolated and the midfield hasnt worked as well as we'd have hoped. 

Is Howe able to recognise whats caused our issues and address them? Is he able to tweak things so he's getting the best out of our midfield three? Is he able to integrate the players he had a big hand in signing - paticularly Barnes and Gordon? 

We've got a good run of fixtures and I have every confidence in Howe. We had a poor run last year and we came back from it. Things havent looked as we'd hoped these last three games (against quality opposition) and its another challenge for Howe. 

5 minutes ago, NSG said:

I hope for comedic effect he's counting down with the starter pistol in the air "three... two... one...." and then before he can activate it, Tindall steps in front of him and fires his own one 

Edited by Pilko

2 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I hope for comedic effect he's counting down with the starter pistol in the air "three... two... one...." and then before he can activate it, Tindall steps in front of him and fires his own one 

Tindall will only be allowed to compete at certain intervals and only when Howe is not competing. Also, Tindall will be restrained. 

On 03/09/2023 at 00:38, Myleftboot said:

We over achieved last season and the only addition to first team games is Tonali so maybe we are at our real level now.

Our best form was the second part of the season before. So on this view, we’ve ‘overachieved’ for a season and a half and now (in three of our first four games, two away, against top sides, with an unarguably improved squad) have now found our real level. Your theory smells a bit whiffy to me. 

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

The Leeds fan has been given a 12-week prison sentence and a six-year football banning order for the assault on Eddie.

Bit surprised at the prison sentence, but I guess there has to be some deterrent.

I won’t pretend I understand the legal system, but hopefully this sends a clear message to everyone. I would be more than happy for any of our fans doing that to get the same. 

Disappointing to see him not currently spending every single second of the day at the training ground given where we are in the league,  4 games into the season.

Edited by TBG