Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

4 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Miley has a great pass in him. His overall play will also improve every year going on.

Would rather he didn’t play very much next season. He’s not ready imo. Needs to develop physically. When he’s 19/20 he’ll be ready for serious minutes. 

I think conceding 4 at at home to Luton may result in Burn being dropped for Tino - so far this appears to be Howe's major blind spot, like the Forest game what happened today just seemed inevitable 

overall still doing a great job and would hate for player loyalty to be his downfall 

Just now, Coffee_Johnny said:

Burn helped us win any? Or had any role in us having our best defensive season ever? 

Not near the amount Trippier has. I can take a Trippier mistake here and there when he is contributing so much to our game. 

1 minute ago, Ginola14 said:

I think conceding 4 at at home to Luton may result in Burn being dropped for Tino - so far this appears to be Howe's major blind spot, like the Forest game what happened today just seemed inevitable 

overall still doing a great job and would hate for player loyalty to be his downfall 

I still think there’s a tactical element to it from Howe - Burn tucking in when Trippier bombs forward - but it has probably run its course at this point.

Let’s see what happens.  KK and BR had their favourites too, tbh.  I think that BDB really misses having the Joes on the left side with him. 

Just now, Displayname said:

I love Eddie and really want him to do well. Just wish he didnt annoy me so damn much with his decisions sometimes.

Ill probably get over it tomorrow. If Burn starts against another pacey winger though..

It's a fair concern.

We seemed to be looking for a first team left back at one point, but then seemed to have put that on the back burner to prioritise other areas. Hopefully we go back to that.

Regarding manager player decisions, every manager has their quirks. I think Burn featuring today had a lot to do with their set piece threat and countering that. The last two seasons we've seen both Mourinho and Conte completely push Bissouma out of being selected completely , which is far more disgraceful than anything Howe has even come close to doing.

We've just battered Villa 4 - 1 prior to today's game with Burn going against some tricky pace players, just didn't work out today. 

Howe is doing just fine, and better days are coming as the squad continues to evolve. Losing him would be a big step backwards.

That scene in Moneyball where the manager keeps playing a player that doesn’t fit into the system they’re trying to build so Brad Pitt sells him, reminds me of us right now.
We basically need the board to release Dan Burn on a free so Eddie can get over his damaging obsession, and is forced to pick someone who deserves a first team spot. I think it’s the only way

2 minutes ago, Jagten said:

Tino for Burn is not tactically like-for-like, and it restricts Howe's preferred use of Trippier. I'd still do it, because Dan Burn is shit, but whatever. 

Not sure about the Howe's preferred use part, but with Trippier and Tino on we are less predictable. 

3 minutes ago, M1tche said:

Not sure about the Howe's preferred use part, but with Trippier and Tino on we are less predictable. 

Burn often becomes a left-sided centre back in possession, with Trippier basically moving into midfield. Livramento a pretty different profile. 

2 minutes ago, M1tche said:

Literally every top team and every elite manager uses two pacey, mobile, creative fullbacks.
Eddie isn’t better than all of them and doesn’t know something they don’t. There’s a very obvious reason none of them use a 6 foot 7 lumbering giant who moves like a 4 story blocks of flats at full back. Because it’s a shit idea and it isn’t effective! 

4 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Literally every top team and every elite manager uses two pacey, mobile, creative fullbacks.
Eddie isn’t better than all of them and doesn’t know something they don’t. There’s a very obvious reason none of them use a 6 foot 7 lumbering giant who moves like a 4 story blocks of flats at full back. Because it’s a shit idea and it isn’t effective! 

We had the best defence in the league with Burn playing there last season.

It also gives us an advantage on set pieces. He has scored goals this season that have actually won us games.

I'd love a more traditional full back, and think that will come next season, but let's not pretend the manager is some dummy and doesn't know what he's doing.

Edited by KaKa

4 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

It was very effective in the league’s best defence last season - he tucks in as a third centre half, freeing up Trippier to bomb on.  The loss of Joelinton and Willock has been a massive problem, as they would do a lot of cover work with their athleticism and strength.  If there’s a criticism to be levelled at Howe, it’s that we’ve continued doing this despite the personnel required not being available 

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I mean the teams who finished 1st and 2nd last season were using CB's as fullbacks. So 3 out of the top 4 sides were doing it [emoji38]

21 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Would rather he didn’t play very much next season. He’s not ready imo. Needs to develop physically. When he’s 19/20 he’ll be ready for serious minutes. 

Totally agree with this. He's an 8/10 on the ball, but he's like a 4/10 tactically.

He needs some growing and some maturing. I'd suggest a upper championship loan.... however loaning players isn't out strong suit.

10 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

He needs to eradicate this blind spot he has very quickly. Elite managers don’t continually make mistakes like that.

Last season lads, last season. Every club has a team of analysts whose job it is to identify ways to negate team’s strengths and exploit their weaknesses. We’re shipping goals for fun this season because we’ve been worked out to a large degree.

Last season we were a bit of an unknown quantity. This season we’re being played through with ease regularly and targeted down Dan Burn’s flank. And it’s working. 

5 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

I mean the teams who finished 1st and 2nd last season were using CB's as fullbacks. So 3 out of the top 4 sides were doing it [emoji38]

6 foot 7, immobile CBs completely devoid of any creativity? 

6 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Who were the other CB's that were used as fullbacks?

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It was very effective in the league’s best defence last season - he tucks in as a third centre half, freeing up Trippier to bomb on.  The loss of Joelinton and Willock has been a massive problem, as they would do a lot of cover work with their athleticism and strength.  If there’s a criticism to be levelled at Howe, it’s that we’ve continued doing this despite the personnel required not being available 

There's some good points in here tonight and this is one of them.

Put Burn in the box, with lofted balls or a bit of a scrap and he will win everything, stick him wide left back with a pacey winger and he's fucked.

It's also worth mentioning that there's every chance he's lost a yard since last season.... and he wasn't Usain Bolt to begin with.

Things change, he's being exposed. Livramento can at least grow.

I'm not saying Burn is done here, in fact, the big fella will benefit from less games and coming into a good side. It's become painful. As soon as Howe bites the bullet, we will benefit from it.

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Just admit you got it wrong and stop moving the goalposts. 

How am I moving the goalposts you knob? ?

Nathan Ake plays like a fullback, John Stones is one of the best ball playing CBs in the PL, and highly mobile, and Ben White is basically John Stones mk2. If you think Dan Burn belongs in that category you need to put the bottle down pal. 

Just now, Holmesy said:

How am I moving the goalposts you knob? ?

Nathan Ake plays like a fullback, John Stones is one of the best ball playing CBs in the PL, and highly mobile, and Ben White is basically John Stones mk2. If you think Dan Burn belongs in that category you need to put the bottle down pal. 

How do you think they'd do isolated against Usain Bolt?

5 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

He needs to eradicate this blind spot he has very quickly. Elite managers don’t continually make mistakes like that.

He does need to address this issue but I'm not having the "Elite managers yada".

Jurgen Klopp didn't make poor judgements at Mainz? Klopp made poor judgements last season man[emoji38].

Only 2 years ago Pep didn't play a DM in the CL final and got beat. Despite people warning against it prior. Great managers make mistakes.