Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 minutes ago, clintdempsey said:

As I’ve said in the match thread I love Howe and the work he’s done for us. But I have a few things that are really starting to irk me.

1. We have one of the most lethal strikers in the game playing for us - but we rarely seem to get him into the game. He’s feeding off scraps and we’re punting the ball at his head from the start. The one time he was played into his feet today was in the run-up to our goal. There has to be another way! I honestly feel sorry for him. 

2. We’re leaving the exact same spaces in behind midfield as last year. Nothing has changed. We’re still flat as a fart in midfield and are so easily overrun. We should’ve  been able to fix this!

3. We haven’t pressed since the start of last season. But since we can’t keep the ball and are nowhere near being a progressive passing team (especially with playing Burn and Kelly at the same time and refusing to play Tonali) we have no attacking identity at all. Surely we could/should do something different. 

Mitchell/Eales and Bunce probably have made mistakes this summer and the setup doesn’t feel right just yet. But Eddie hasn’t exactly covered himself in glory so far this season.

Things has to change for the better. Today we got what has been coming for most of the games this season. And we have some really shitty fixtures coming up. 

Best post I’ve seen on here for a while 

Personally, I don't think today's loss was massively a tactical one. Fairly obvious missing fundamental things involved in the goals - not tracking runners, not closing space quickly, not winning your battles. Letting a ball run through your hand doesn't help either.

Whether we're struggling to motivate players is a pretty fair accusation though. I expected us to dominate their midfield with our physicality but it felt the opposite - we looked weak as piss across the front 6, in the main.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We have the tools to be much better, he needs to solve why the players are sluggish and lose confidence so easily, as well as how we give the ball back so easily all the time. 

Do we? This is what we are, a midtable team. We'll win in style some days and be atrocious on other days. 

11 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

We've had a conveyor belt of shit vibes since PSR-gate.

I'm not convinced the club can recover from that with personnel staying the same. I'm loyal to Eddie over Eales & Mitchell. In fact I couldn't give a fuck about the latter two.

I do think issues have stemmed from the top down rather than bottom up like.

Edited by Heron

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

Cant believe how terrible we still are in possession. Was thinking it was a Krafth problem, but we are still having big problems keeping and passing the ball.

Can only be one of two things when you break it down. Technical skill deficiency in the players, or a gameplan which is not suited to them.

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Personally, I don't think today's loss was massively a tactical one. Fairly obvious missing fundamental things involved in the goals - not tracking runners, not closing space quickly, not winning your battles. 

Whether we're struggling to motivate players is a pretty fair accusation though. I expected us to dominate their midfield with our physicality but it felt the opposite - we looked weak as piss across the front 6, in the main.

I think the performances are more concerning than the tactics for sure. He’s not telling people to pass the ball to opponents or kick clearances back to their attackers.

My concern is more about the vibes, like someone said. And if we can get a feel-good factor back. 

That said, hopefully the team aren’t feeling as suicidal as the fans. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yes, but I don’t see any reason why he won’t sort it out. 

FWIW I was answering a post about why he’s started making more subs. 

To counter that, I atm don't see any reason how he can. We've been largely terrible away from home for over 12 months and look predictably naive at best tactically in every game we play this season. We've gotten away with it up to today but we won't with the upcoming fixtures especially. 

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

To counter that, I atm don't see any reason how he can. We've been largely terrible away from home for over 12 months and look predictably naive at best tactically in every game we play this season. We've gotten away with it up to today but we won't with the upcoming fixtures especially. 

You don’t think Howe is a top manager? 

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yes, but I don’t see any reason why he won’t sort it out. 

FWIW I was answering a post about why he’s started making more subs. 

If his first eleven were playing well he wouldn't have to make half time subs

Just now, TRon said:

Can only be one of two things when you break it down. Technical skill deficiency in the players, or a gameplan which is not suited to them.

We have never been the best in possession, but this is the worst we have seen.

8 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Agree with the first part but I don’t see why we can’t recover. 

Amazing that we couldn’t even enjoy being joint 2nd in the league. Shows how strange the vibes have been. Can’t be helping the manager or players. 

The reason I don't think we'll recover is it seems no one really wants to (as in howe vs higher ups). 

Edited by Weezertron

6 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Eh? He stated he's an 8 himself and that's his preferred position? We also played him there when we signed him, and probably would have carried on if it wasn't for the Shelvey injury that pre season. 

Probably need to let Lyon know that - that’s where they were playing him every game when we signed him.  Somehow Paranaense, Lyon, Newcastle and Brazil have spent years playing the lad out of position 

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

It's also massively worth reminding ourselves that we built up to 'intensity is our identity' 2 years ago. Ironically, it was the Fulham game where we really started to kick into gear.

Think it’s easy to forget how few games we’ve played. It’s mainly the negativity spilling in from the PSR and transfer window stuff. 

It’s very unusual for him to be titting around with the starting XI so much from match to match. It feels to me like that’s a large part of the reason we look so incredibly disjointed.

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

You don’t think Howe is a top manager? 

I've never said that I thought he was or he wasn't for a start, but I can't see this changing. I expect us to be shit away from home because we have been for a year and we've been shit once again. I hope that he can but there aren't even any straws to clutch at for me right now.

FWIW, I'm losing faith that he will be one of the truly elite managers which I thought he would become at around this time last year. Elite managers make bold decisions and he frequently seems to avoid them, on the pitch and seemingly in the transfer market. (posted about that more post Bournemouth) Him making changes at HT is a start in that regard, but that tends to be because he got the setup wrong from the start.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

8 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Do we? This is what we are, a midtable team. We'll win in style some days and be atrocious on other days. 

We’ve got numerous players we bought for £40m plus. We shouldnt be having many atrocious days.