Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

33 minutes ago, Jagten said:

They created a lot more good chances. We created none. 

Wasn’t that the case almost every draw last season at our place, teams came and got overrun by us and left with a point. We did the same tonight that’s all.

Eddies first every game in Europe - away to a CL semi finalist with the two Joes out injured yet he’s managed to get us a point here and a win and a draw in 3 days with two clean sheets to boot.

Things could be a damn site worse 

7 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Wasn’t that the case almost every draw last season at our place, teams came and got overrun by us and left with a point. We did the same tonight that’s all.

Eddies first every game in Europe - away to a CL semi finalist with the two Joes out injured yet he’s managed to get us a point here and a win and a draw in 3 days with two clean sheets to boot.

Things could be a damn site worse 

On individual games this is possible, but as an average over the season our luck was probably par. 

Results are mostly just noisy realisations of a random process. We're all just trying to work out what the underlying trend might be from a small sample size. I think there's stuff to be semi-concerned about, is all.

1 hour ago, Wilson said:

Tell us why

Taking a wild guess, I’d say it (I.e.  the should have been comfortably beaten comment) was probably to do with the 15 shots to 2—7 to 0 on target—difference  between the teams. When was the last time we had two shots/none on target and did we get anything out of the game? 

11 minutes ago, Cornah said:

To all the sopping whinging vaginas twisting about an away point at the SanSiro and are disappointed’ Get a fuckin grip you bellends..

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

25 minutes ago, Cornah said:

To all the sopping whinging vaginas twisting about an away point at the SanSiro and are disappointed’ Get a fuckin grip you bellends..

No one is complaining about the result ffs

Edited by nufc123

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Literally true - and checkable on the internet, you daft sod

If they have the space every pitch in the Premier League and UEFA competitions is 105x68.

St James, Wembley, Bernabeu, Nou Camp, Old Trafford. All exactly the same. Some used to be bigger but they haven’t been for about five years.

Edited by Bellis80

With a ref letting lots go, RLC on Bruno multiple times, we needed Joelinton on the pitch. He was a big miss. Part of our game is counter-pressing, losing the ball and winning it back in good areas, but we were not physical enough to do it in this game. Or on other occasions so far this season. Willock would have helped too. This is on top of the obvious need for relationships to develop between new additions like Gordon, Tonali, Barnes, etc. and their team-mates. This will take time.

The main thing though, like the City away game, is that we restricted elite opponents on their own pitch to mostly half chances.

I wouldn't expect much more than this until we are more established as a CL team.

The other comment about Howe is we had less possession but allowed them far less in the second half. There is a huge difference between the first half and second half stats. Whatever adjustments were made worked and helped us get a result.

8 hours ago, Wilson said:

Tell us why

We conceded lots of chances. They had An Xg of over 2+ goals and had 9 shots on target.  They also worked the ball into promising positions plenty of times. 

We didn’t offer much in return. Could barely pass it to each other. 

8 hours ago, Bellis80 said:

We got a bigger doing tonight than we did at Wembley despite the result.

Aye.  Wembley we got done by the goals but Man U had less chances. And we played well.  We just lack quality in the final third. Today we lacked quality in build up. In midfield.  Everywhere.  LC final was an even game decided by moments of quality. 

I think we played the occasion tonight because we were so bad at the simple stuff. And granted we chased all game but everyone was knackered by 80 minutes.  

8 hours ago, Pata said:

I just can't agree here. Bookies had this as a really close match and we were absolutely crushed in xG (2.98-0.36), scoring attempts (25-6), shots on target (8-1) etc. I'm sure Howe (and fans) are happy with the point in the end but if we play like that for the rest of the group stages we have no chance of advancing. Milan are a traditional huge club but the fact we were favourites (or even close to it) at San Siro shows that they are quite far from the powerhouse days of 90s and 00s. Yet we made them look amazing in this game.

There are still positives to take from this match though besides the away point. Firstly the second half was a lot better and we seemed to be better prepared for it defensively. They had a ton of shots but we kept them away decently from really good chances and thought some individual performances were good. We were also alright in keeping possession but Milan don't really press tbf. Just a really messy performance overall and I'm certain Howe won't be happy with that when the cameras aren't rolling. I really hope the nerviness is gone now for the rest of the group matches.

I don’t think Milan were good. We were just bad. I don’t think we were decent in possession.  Milan just didn’t press.  They are setup to counter so wanted us to attack. 

Ny biggest gripe is that if we don’t press well we are bad.  We didn’t press these and we struggled to stop them getting into dangerous positions. Without the press we can’t build up in possession.  This seems like a choice we’ve made to be more conservative in the press. But it’s not working at all. 

Some of the personnel weaknesses are by choice. 

7 hours ago, Cornah said:

You're telling me you haven't seen anything concerning about the way we've been playing this season? The point is great but we had one shot on target the entire game and were lucky not to get battered. I'd love to be simple enough that I can just ignore the way we played and go 'wow, a draw away to Milan!' but there have been alarm bells ringing since the City game. Last season's Newcastle would've had a realistic chance of winning that game last night but we're a million miles away from that level.

Calling people whinging vaginas because they have working eyes and more than 50 brain cells says more about you than it does them pal

I’m yet to see anyone complain about getting a point, most of us are delighted with the point in isolation. 

People are expressing concern about a trend of disjointed and below par performances, why the discussion of this is so offensive to some I’m not sure. 

It’s going to be interesting how having less time to prepare for games affects the team performances. 
Although our all round play hasn’t been good this season I do remember it took us a while to get going last season. I can’t really recall if the performances were off though or just the results.

Anyway, Sheffield Utd will be a good time to judge how we’re adapting. Playing Milan at the San Siro and PSG coming up after, Sheffield Utd in the middle, that’s a very different type of game and occasion.

If we’re improving we should see it this weekend. If it’s a slog and another disjointed performance then I think I’ll get a little worried. 
But let’s wait and see. 

I can’t help but feel we have put ourselves in this bind by our transfers this summer, (this isn’t a complaint before I’m jumped on, I understand why we did it). We essentially opted for long term planning at the expense of short term improvement. The fact we didn’t get a dedicated DM is pretty much at the heart of our tactical bind imo. 

Our midfield consists of 3, players who want to push forward and to compensate for that we are left playing with burn at fullback to cover the space left and to prevent us killed in transition. This is actually working effectively in the defensive phase but is causing us issues when we want to attack due our lopsided set up. 

To caveat the above, it’s obviously very early in the session and panic isn’t required but our lack of flexibility tactically will make it tricky imo. 

31 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I can’t help but feel we have put ourselves in this bind by our transfers this summer, (this isn’t a complaint before I’m jumped on, I understand why we did it). We essentially opted for long term planning at the expense of short term improvement. The fact we didn’t get a dedicated DM is pretty much at the heart of our tactical bind imo. 

Our midfield consists of 3, players who want to push forward and to compensate for that we are left playing with burn at fullback to cover the space left and to prevent us killed in transition. This is actually working effectively in the defensive phase but is causing us issues when we want to attack due our lopsided set up. 

To caveat the above, it’s obviously very early in the session and panic isn’t required but our lack of flexibility tactically will make it tricky imo. 

Apart from His distribution I don’t think Burn is a massive issue in attack.  

The striker is isolated.  We don’t get our wingers in dangerous positions.  

The awful passing yesterday I can blame the occasion. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Apart from His distribution I don’t think Burn is a massive issue in attack.  

The striker is isolated.  We don’t get our wingers in dangerous positions.  

The awful passing yesterday I can blame the occasion. 

Ofcourse he is, we are essentially lacking one player when we are attacking. Making it so much easier covering our wing and not letting them get in dangerous positions.

I think for this group of players it’s a bloody great experience to bank and to call back upon in future. Gone to an absolute cauldron and came out unscathed. It’s a big step in terms of mentality. Think we will fancy ourselves at home against them.

9 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Ofcourse he is, we are essentially lacking one player when we are attacking. Making it so much easier covering our wing and not letting them get in dangerous positions.

Lots of teams build up with 3 back in defence - 2 in midfield.  

It’s not the main reason we had 1 shot on target. 

Schar Botman Burn

Longstaff Bruno 

Trippier Almiron Willock Joelinton

Isak

We often got ourselves into this type of shape last season. That works well. 

Yesterday Burn couldn’t pass. And when he did Gordon was super wide and not able to trouble Florenzi much. Tonali was pushed up but didn’t do anything and couldn’t connect meaningfully with Gordon or Isak.  That’s the main problem. 

Edited by The College Dropout