Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

We've had champions league form since January 2021 and are currently 7 points adrift of CL this year round.

What 'streak' are you exactly seeing that others aren't? 

The one where we are very good at home and shit away. We could get 50 points at home and 10-15 away.

I wouldn't support it at all but if the second half of the season is like the first I could see the ownership replacing Howe in the summer. I think because of what Howe did the season he came here, and then last season we have a lot of loyalty for him and rightly so but we've lost 7 games already in the league, if that were to get to 12 or more by the end of the season you'd wonder what the owners would think of that. Obviously we'd all want him to have another crack next season but would they?

Edited by Decky

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He was the manager for the entire season Bournemouth were relegated. That was his squad in full. If it was another manager - we would say that manager relegated the team. 

I really wouldn't, because that would be willfully ignorant of every other factor. Teams can and do go down for a number of reasons other than the manager - lack of signings, injury crises, pure bad luck, referee cock ups, other teams cheating, in Howe's case a few of them plus goal line technology failing.

Saying Howe 'got' Bournemouth relegated is just daft.

1 minute ago, Decky said:

I wouldn't support it at all but if the second half of the season is like the first I could see the ownership replacing Howe in the summer. I think because of what Howe did the season he came here, and then last season we have a lot of loyalty for him and rightly so but we've lost 7 games already in the league, if that were to get to 12 or more by the end of the season you'd wonder what the owners would think of that. Obviously we'd all want him to have another crack next season but would they?

If we finish top 8 he should be fine imo. 

Unless we could get Xabi Alonso or someone.  From a distance he looks like the next big thing. 

Otherwise there’s no justification to sack him and I don’t think we could bring in a better manager 

Reet! Just nailing my colours to the mast and declaring my full support for Eddie.

I hope he's still in the dugout next season and for many more - a few have short memories and need to thank their lucky stars we have him.

He works his nuts off, is a credit to the club and city and just needs some fucking fresh players - Get the injured back and a few more in, and most importantly get them 100% and we'll be fine.

Yes, he's got shit to learn, don't we all. And I'm sure he's doing more than anyone to fix this.

Anyway - let's get behind him!

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I really wouldn't, because that would be willfully ignorant of every other factor. Teams can and do go down for a number of reasons other than the manager - lack of signings, injury crises, pure bad luck, referee cock ups, other teams cheating, in Howe's case a few of them plus goal line technology failing.

Saying Howe 'got' Bournemouth relegated is just daft.

Ok fair enough if you don’t like the wording. 

‘I can see how Howe was the manager of a team that got relegated from the PL having kept them up for 2-3 seasons prior.’

Better?

6 minutes ago, Decky said:

I think they would given we won't have European football. I do believe the style of play that made us successful is unsustainable though. Klopp played a similar style and Liverpool had a big fall off the next season.

Edited by OverThere

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The 1 in 9 away games. Having not gone to any of the toughest away grounds bar Etihad. 

You're characterising Howe as 'streaky' based on 9 away games in an unprecedented injury hit season.

Seems rational. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You’re being sensitive. I’ve not said he’s a bad manager or anything like that. 

I mean, I'm very much  not being sensitive, odd characterisation of my question tbh. 

So far I've read you say "I can see how Howe got Bournemouth relegated" and how you can see how he's "streaky" based on a ludicrously small samples of poor admittedly poor performance.

I just think they're really shite opinions tbh. We all have them sometimes, some more than others though👍

Just now, Thumbheed said:

You're characterising Howe as 'streaky' based on 9 away games in an unprecedented injury hit season.

Seems rational. 

I’m not necessarily saying he’s streaky, the Bournemouth fan said that. 

I think he’s a bit rigid and doubles down on his plan rather than switching things up or trying to find other answers. There’s been number of games I’ve hoped he makes a sub, changes shape, does something and he keeps doing what he’s doing. For most of his time here, he’s had more options anyway and that approach has worked nearly all the time.  This season, away from home, it hasn’t worked. Howe hasn’t done much different in both outcomes. 

7 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Seems rational. 

I think it's a combination of the style not being sustainable at the level of intensity of 3 games a week and a certain degree of inflexibility. Today for instance they had 5 in MF versus our 3 which you could see was a mis match after 5 minutes or less. Given the level of fatigue, controlling the midfield becomes much more important, no?

Edited by OverThere

Just now, The Prophet said:

Klopp successfully implemented a high intensity strategy three times a week. Perhaps we need some of uncle Jürgen's magic inhalers?

I don't think we've even been that much of a high press team since earlier this calendar year.

Swear our final third turnovers and distance covered had dropped. Something we employ more as a tactic now than the whole philosophy.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

We could get Gerrard in now to get that new manager bounce. Or the crowd could promise to be less toxic and give Bruce his job back.

This is a pathetic approach. The Gerrard point is weak. And this… it’s not even a point you’re just being a poor WUM.  

But no I’m happy with Howe. I just don’t think he’s infallible and he has weaknesses as a football manager. He’ll have more successes than failures in this game. But he did have a failure at the end of his Bournemouth spell which he can admit too so why can’t you? 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

This is a pathetic approach. The Gerrard point is weak. And this… it’s not even a point you’re just being a poor WUM.  

But no I’m happy with Howe. I just don’t think he’s infallible and he has weaknesses as a football manager. He’ll have more successes than failures in this game. But he did have a failure at the end of his Bournemouth spell which he can admit too so why can’t you? 

He’s not a robot. He, the players and the club all have limitations. Most of us recognise them.