Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

23 minutes ago, Jordan said:

It was annoying that he didn’t address the glaring hole in the midfield throughout the entire game that their keeper just constantly kept picking passes straight into. The man to man pressing was causing it. 

He was expecting two cart horses in central defence to manage that and unsurprisingly they didn't 

That was the risk we were taking going for a man to man press further up the field though. They literally wanted to go sideways unopposed and get out that way but we made them go long. We ended up with 55% possession

The most frustrating thing was in the final 3rd. Fucking shite from Gordon Murphy and isak on the main

4 minutes ago, jack j said:

That was the risk we were taking going for a man to man press further up the field though. They literally wanted to go sideways unopposed and get out that way but we made them go long. We ended up with 55% possession

The most frustrating thing was in the final 3rd. Fucking shite from Gordon Murphy and isak on the main

Never going to work with Burn and Krafth though as they're just too slow. I agree about Murphy, Gordon was ok but fucked up a couple of times when well placed and Isac just never got the ball despite making numerous runs. I still can't understand why Isac was brought off. 

Unsurprising that people who know fuck all about football picking holes in the way we played. Standard. 
image.jpeg.a395c7452bb8c70602389b1c87e3b614.jpeg

1 minute ago, RS said:

Unsurprising that people who know fuck all about football picking holes in the way we played. Standard. 
image.jpeg.a395c7452bb8c70602389b1c87e3b614.jpeg

Talking about yourself, because if you can't see some of the points being made about today, then there is only you showing a clueless tendency 

He's been relying on his squad fillers for months now and that's always a risky business. They're not starters in the first XI for very good reasons but having 5 or 6 in there every week AND getting good results isn't sustainable and I think we saw that today. It was a substandard performance but the team was full of substandard (relatively speaking) players. If we'd been able to start Pope, Trippier, Botman, Schar, Tino, Joelinton, Bruno, Tonali, Gordon, Barnes, Isak today then we'd have won by a couple. But having to switch out 7 of them and slot in the likes of Longstaff, Krafth etc makes things really fucking difficult like.

I think he could have changed it up a bit earlier and tweaked a few things but it's not always going to go our way at times. They dug in and made it difficult and we didn't do enough and that happens. Not going to flip out tonight about things, it's not the end of the world

12 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Never going to work with Burn and Krafth though as they're just too slow. I agree about Murphy, Gordon was ok but fucked up a couple of times when well placed and Isac just never got the ball despite making numerous runs. I still can't understand why Isac was brought off. 

Isak been ill apparently as well

I was surprised in the ground when he came off mind.

I don't think that big gap hurt us that much in the middle. That was just the risk we were taking pressing them like that. Don't think they really hurt us with that ball through the middle did they?

Was our lack of quality that fucked us today

6 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Talking about yourself, because if you can't see some of the points being made about today, then there is only you showing a clueless tendency 

I’m clueless but think we are massively over performing with the SQUAD we’ve got. 

2 minutes ago, jack j said:

Isak been ill apparently as well

I was surprised in the ground when he came off mind.

I don't think that big gap hurt us that much in the middle. That was just the risk we were taking pressing them like that. Don't think they really hurt us with that ball through the middle did they?

Was our lack of quality that fucked us today

Have a look at his reaction when he's taken off. The big gap give them an outball all game.  certainly won't argue about the lack of quality. Unfortunately we can't afford to get rid of all the deadwood and that is going to be an issue for another few transfer windows. 

Just now, et tu brute said:

Have a look at his reaction when he's taken off. The big gap give them an outball all game.  certainly won't argue about the lack of quality. Unfortunately we can't afford to get rid of all the deadwood and that is going to be an issue for another few transfer windows. 

Aye I found it bizarre him coming off and as you say he wasn't expecting it.
It gave them an outball but they thrive off possession usually. I don't think that's how they wanted to play. Was plenty of times it came straight back at them as well. I thought the centre halves done OK?

Their main chances seemed to come from countering quickly rather than that pass

1 minute ago, jack j said:

Aye I found it bizarre him coming off and as you say he wasn't expecting it.
It gave them an outball but they thrive off possession usually. I don't think that's how they wanted to play. Was plenty of times it came straight back at them as well. I thought the centre halves done OK?

Their main chances seemed to come from countering quickly rather than that pass

I thought both centre half's were fine in our own box, but were dragged all over the place in open play beyond the 18 yard line. 

I would of started Barnes on the left and flash on the right basically our best attacking three. At home when the win is crucial they have to play. People may say Barnes was shite but you got to start the lad for his finishing alone cannot keep using him as a super sub. 

1 hour ago, RS said:

I’m clueless but think we are massively over performing with the SQUAD we’ve got. 

A bit of perspective, 7 games ago we were 11th 2 points behind Chelsea in 9th and 10 points behind Man Utd in 6th, people only seem to have memories of the last game we played.

Ultimately as others have said we don't have the quality in depth to consistently perform at a high level. Today we were missing quality in all three phases and it cost us 2 points. It's unfortunate but also not surprising. I think Howe has earned more than the benefit of the doubt, so his taking Isak off - while I was as surprised as anyone - must have been for a decent reason. Howe's not Bruce. He's not an imbecile.

Crap today. Poor starting team. Didn’t change early enough. When he did no reason to take Isak off. Killed the momentum and crowd. 

2 minutes ago, Maggies said:

Crap today. Poor starting team. Didn’t change early enough. When he did no reason to take Isak off. Killed the momentum and crowd. 

He had reason to take Isak off, has no choice with the starting line up. With players still not fully match fit on the bench, he couldn’t bring them on earlier.

2 hours ago, Maggies said:

Good today. Decent starting team. Changed things early enough. When he did, there was good reasons to take Isak off. Didn't kill the momentum nor the crowd.

I thought we played quite well yesterday apart from the final ball which let us down, it is noticeable how we were working positions down the right but the final ball from Murphy was played in to the area rather than trying to pick out any individual. It is also noticeable in games like this how we lack a midfielder who can make intelligent late runs in to the box like Willock did last season, even if he did snatch at a lot of his chances.

I didn’t agree with the decision to take Isak off, he might have been ill in the week but you have a conversation with him at half time about if he feels well enough to play the full game, judging from his face when subbed he was clearly surprised at being brought off when we needed a goal and with no striker on the bench.

I have seen people say about the gap Brighton were finding in midfield that their keeper was picking out but that was because we played a more pressing game and tried to pin them in their own half rather than letting them play out, this was something that we were successful with last season when we played them at home.

I don’t think Howe could have done much different and let’s be honest, if Almiron wasn’t offside for the Gordon goal then we would be talking about how it was a master stroke taking Isak off, such is the fine margins at this level.

Brighton were decent too by the way.

3 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

I thought we played quite well yesterday apart from the final ball which let us down, it is noticeable how we were working positions down the right but the final ball from Murphy was played in to the area rather than trying to pick out any individual. It is also noticeable in games like this how we lack a midfielder who can make intelligent late runs in to the box like Willock did last season, even if he did snatch at a lot of his chances.

I didn’t agree with the decision to take Isak off, he might have been ill in the week but you have a conversation with him at half time about if he feels well enough to play the full game, judging from his face when subbed he was clearly surprised at being brought off when we needed a goal and with no striker on the bench.

I have seen people say about the gap Brighton were finding in midfield that their keeper was picking out but that was because we played a more pressing game and tried to pin them in their own half rather than letting them play out, this was something that we were successful with last season when we played them at home.

I don’t think Howe could have done much different and let’s be honest, if Almiron wasn’t offside for the Gordon goal then we would be talking about how it was a master stroke taking Isak off, such is the fine margins at this level.

Brighton were decent too by the way.

Get the point about Isak, but he was struggling to run yesterday.

Posted (edited)

brighton turned up and played well especially in defence.

we were ok but with a really poor final ball.

think there'll be at least a couple of starting changes vs manu

Edited by huss9

Is this continued Longstaff, Murphy right hand side done solely to annoy us? 

Like he was forced to finally play Burn in his proper position so had to find something new? 

What the fuck is the rationale for it otherwise?