Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 hours ago, Myleftboot said:

Eddie?

Yeah, apparently he was also mentioned in discussions prior to Pochettino, as he is admired from a number of their football people in house.

50 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

A prime example is Joelinton.

He is one of the best midfielders in the league and wants to be compensated like one of the best midfielders in the league. We can’t afford that yet due to FFP.

Therefore it is likely that we will have to sell him and buy a player that isn’t as good as Joelinton but who’s wages we can afford.

The wage bill is the key metric amongst any sport finances.

You're ignoring the Premier League tax here. There are better midfielders in Europe and beyond than Big Joe who wouldn't cost what we will need to pay him. With a good scouting team and an ability to cycle players in and out every 2,3,4 years you could be ultra competitive without paying top Premier League wages.

35 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

You're ignoring the Premier League tax here. There are better midfielders in Europe and beyond than Big Joe who wouldn't cost what we will need to pay him. With a good scouting team and an ability to cycle players in and out every 2,3,4 years you could be ultra competitive without paying top Premier League wages.

I’m really not. 

There is no guarantee you’ll sign one of those players on high wages and they won’t flop in the premier league.

Theres a reason a proven player usually has a higher salary than an unproven player.

Yes signing those unproven players regularly over the long term on lower wages would be amazing. But there hasn’t been a team able to do that long term and it can sometimes backfire- see Everton.

41 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

You've taken the absolute Value rather than then position here haven't you? So we have a wage bill that is £60m higher than Luton but £70m less than Chelsea?

I'd prefer to say that we need to outperform 5 teams relative to payroll in order to get top 4 but would need to underperform 9 teams to be relegated. Closer to 4th than 18th.

If you take the figures you quoted as being more or less true I'd ignore the Manchester Clubs as they have to pay higher wages just for being City or Manure and I'd ignore Chelsea as they are just plain nuts.

Spurs/Villa/Liverpool are the wages that should be sustainable for being competitive in and around the top 4 every year. I think Arsenal have overspent and over the next few years you'll see the 3/4 below them catch up as they stay relatively still

This is the most reliable data on football wages 

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1762492809121280064/photo/3

We need to outperform 3 teams to finish top 4. 2 to finish 5th. 1 of which is Chelsea.

And player absence means absolutely nothing in this absurdly black and white world you won't stop banging on about.

All that matters is wages.  Doesn't matter if the players earning those wages are available to play football or not.

Without even checking yet, I'd put my house on it, that it's either Edwards or Hope.

Edit: I was wrong, Simon Bird, such a pathetic question to ask Eddie.

Edited by mighty__mag

7 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

And player absence means absolutely nothing in this absurdly black and white world you won't stop banging on about.

All that matters is wages.  Doesn't matter if the players earning those wages are available to play football or not.

Don’t think you’ve read the full posts. I’m saying Howes done a good job given the wage budget and the number of injuries. 

Sorry if that’s rattled you.

Just now, Interpolic said:

Never claimed wages are everything. It gives us *some* context. Our wage bill is as close to Arsenal, as West Ham's is to us. All things being equal, we should be somewhere in between (obviously things have changed since March 2023 financially too). A particularly bad ride with injuries and CL football we'll be closer to the chasing pack, maybe behind 1 or 2 - totally understandable. But more than that is pretty bad like.

I think the European football for West Ham & Brighton inparticular will be a huge disadvantage for both. Brighton have a ton of injuries too. I back us to catch both.

14 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

Don’t think you’ve read the full posts. I’m saying Howes done a good job given the wage budget and the number of injuries. 

Sorry if that’s rattled you.

Eh? I wasn't even on about you. 

I'm referring to posts in recent days saying anything below 7th is a failure because we've the 7th highest wage bill in the league. With no weight given to us having suffered 200 more injury days than the nearest team and 1000 days more than the two teams above us. 

It's a ridiculously reductive argument that has been an absolute fucking bore to read all week. 

32 minutes ago, Toon1892 said:

I’m really not. 

There is no guarantee you’ll sign one of those players on high wages and they won’t flop in the premier league.

Theres a reason a proven player usually has a higher salary than an unproven player.

Yes signing those unproven players regularly over the long term on lower wages would be amazing. But there hasn’t been a team able to do that long term and it can sometimes backfire- see Everton.

And there is a reason premier league players are paid on average more than in other European leagues that is not linked to ability.

You will get a player of the same ability from the German or French leagues for less wages than the equivalent in the Premier League. We did it with Bruno. 

You are right on the will they flop bit, but you can say the same about players moving between clubs - I'd give you Alexis Sanchez or Fernando Torres as 2 high profile 'sure bets' in fairly recent times who moved and flopped

Asked whether he has been reassured by the owners, including Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund, Howe replied: “It’s difficult for me to speak for them, but I have felt a support and an understanding for the season that we have had and things that have been thrown at us and things that have happened. “That’s really important from my side that I do feel that support.”

2 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Eh? I wasn't even on about you. 

I'm referring to posts in recent days saying anything below 7th is a failure because we've the 7th highest wage bill in the league. With no weight given to us having suffered 200 more injury days than the nearest team and 1000 days more than the two teams above us. 

It's a ridiculously reductive argument that has been an absolute fucking bore to read all week. 

Over time a bigger wage bill suggests a bigger squad who should be able to cope with injuries better. We aren't at that level yet as we have a Europa League position wage bill but an outside expectation of Champions League placement but as a general point wages=expected performance isn't the worst starting point

Just now, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Over time a bigger wage bill suggests a bigger squad who should be able to cope with injuries better. We aren't at that level yet as we have a Europa League position wage bill but an outside expectation of Champions League placement but as a general point wages=expected performance isn't the worst starting point

Yep I 100% agree - but ignoring all other context and saying we pay £50m more than other sides and all teams have injuries, therefore that's the yardstick and nothing else matters is bollocks. And it's been said this week. A lot. 

27 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

And there is a reason premier league players are paid on average more than in other European leagues that is not linked to ability.

You will get a player of the same ability from the German or French leagues for less wages than the equivalent in the Premier League. We did it with Bruno. 

You are right on the will they flop bit, but you can say the same about players moving between clubs - I'd give you Alexis Sanchez or Fernando Torres as 2 high profile 'sure bets' in fairly recent times who moved and flopped

Oh but it is.

Particularly once you get below the elite clubs in other nations and European regulars. West Ham aren't anything special in terms of squad, management and leadership. But their finances mean they should be able to give the Europa League a good go.

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Oh but it is.

Particularly once you get below the elite clubs in other nations and European regulars. West Ham aren't anything special in terms of squad, management and leadership. But their finances mean they should be able to give the Europa League a good go.

I don't quite follow - sorry!

I was cryptically saying that on average premier league players get paid more because the money is in the league through TV deals, so a comparable player in Germany or France will be on less wages than in England.

Of course the money means that a Europa League club from England will (again on average) be able to spend more on a squad than the competition hence the English clubs always being in and around the favourites for all competitions

I don’t think anyone wants him sacked but he’s not got the previous experience/achievements to be untouchable for where the club want to be.

If any of the current top 7 sacked their manager I don’t think he’d be considered by any of them if he was available. Maybe Tottenham.

4 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I don't quite follow - sorry!

I was cryptically saying that on average premier league players get paid more because the money is in the league through TV deals, so a comparable player in Germany or France will be on less wages than in England.

Of course the money means that a Europa League club from England will (again on average) be able to spend more on a squad than the competition hence the English clubs always being in and around the favourites for all competitions

Yes what you're saying is correct.

But that increase in revenue - also increases the quality of the league/team.

I agree there is greater value to be found abroad but there's also greater risk in terms of quality (and other social and physical aspects). 

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I can't even remember what is being debated.

:lol: I just logged in today and that is exactly what went through my mind.

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

:lol: I just logged in today and that is exactly what went through my mind.

I'm not sure either.

I think we have finally accepted the most accurate reports that have us with the 7th highest wage bill and 6th highest squad cost in the league.. and that should probably correlate roughly with league position in some way....

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I'm not sure either.

I think we have finally accepted the most accurate reports that have us with the 7th highest wage bill and 6th highest squad cost in the league.. and that should probably correlate roughly with league position in some way....

Thanks. That's saved me reading back a few pages.

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I'm not sure either.

Where are you getting 6th from?