Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Replacing the manager in the summer isn’t evidence that we’re a circus. It depends who the replacement is and how the season ends. 

At the moment I want him to stay, but this run over 3/4 months now is worrying. Villa, Wolves and to a certain extent City have been the exceptions as opposed to the norm. I have some sympathy given the injury situation, with Pope and Joelinton being the most obvious at the moment, but I’d expect Howe to find some way to adapt. The defensive record is horrendous and there seems to have been little effort to change the way we play to resolve it. Worst defensive record in the league away, a league that includes two of the worst teams we’ve seen in the Premier League.

Like I said, I think it’s worrying and it’s dented my confidence in him. 

2 minutes ago, JJ7 said:

Replacing the manager in the summer isn’t evidence that we’re a circus. It depends who the replacement is and how the season ends. 

At the moment I want him to stay, but this run over 3/4 months now is worrying. Villa, Wolves and to a certain extent City have been the exceptions as opposed to the norm. I have some sympathy given the injury situation, with Pope and Joelinton being the most obvious at the moment, but I’d expect Howe to find some way to adapt. The defensive record is horrendous and there seems to have been little effort to change the way we play to resolve it. Worst defensive record in the league away, a league that includes two of the worst teams we’ve seen in the Premier League.

Like I said, I think it’s worrying and it’s dented my confidence in him. 

4 3 3 - take one idea and beat it to death ...

12 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

We should still finish in the top 10, but the reason I'm mostly writing it off is I think it's just the reality of the situation. We're still missing key players and most of our first XI is in desperate need of a summer break. It's the most obvious explanation for why we just look different.

I understand the injury list, but our results and performances over the next 10 games are significant in my view.

We may totally collapse and find ourselves mired in mid-table. Or we pick up form and fight hard for a European place - either securing one or just missing out. 

The latter would represent a solid season, especially given everything that has transpired. But if it’s the former, then I really think it’s going to be difficult (for me personally) to maintain confidence in the existing setup.

In the Amazon documentary, during a presentation, Eales (I think) stated the average finishing position for a club who was competing in Europe for the first season in a while was 8th.

If that's the benchmark, 11th while not ideal, is hardly a disaster.

It certainly shouldn't be enough to see the vulgar display of power from PIF (billed as "long term patient investors") that some have an absolute throb on for.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

In the Amazon documentary, during a presentation, Eales (I think) stated the average finishing position for a club who was competing in Europe for the first season in a while was 8th.

It certainly shouldn't be enough to see the vulgar display of power from PIF (billed as "long term patient investors") that some have an absolute throb on for.

I just recently rewatched some of that and one of my main takeaways was there's absolutely no chance there's any thoughts about Eddie's job. They all love him, but more importantly they recognized how against the odds last season was (honestly more than most on here have ever given him credit for) and how difficult this season could be (and that's before everything going wrong).

Yasir could definitely be a bit of a wild card, but overall there's a very level headed group of people running the club.

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Unless we get a huge fee, I'm not sure how beneficial flogging him him would be in this particular window.

We're far more likely to shift the likes of Lascalles, Almiron and Wilson.

I think we should be shifting them all. We're never getting a huge fee for Longstaff :lol:. Anything around £15M would get great. 

1 minute ago, vexred said:

I think we should be shifting them all. We're never getting a huge fee for Longstaff :lol:. Anything around £15M would get great. 

Seems a bit counter intuitive though, given there are positions in much greater need of investment.

Unless Tonali's ban is extended.

Edited by The Prophet

When we bought Barnes and didn't get a right winger, I suspected that part of the reason was that Howe might have been happy with how Almiron and Murphy fit into his system. We know he likes players who can press like Almiron. Unfortunately pressing isn't everything for a winger, and Almiron hasn't even been close to replicating what he did in the first half of the last season. Maybe it was a bit naive? It feels like whenever a player has a really good run of form, Howe has this belief that if he keeps playing them then they will find that form again eventually. Some players only have 1 purple patch in their carreer. Mediocre players can be key players for some months, and then return to normal.

Then again, maybe Barnes was just all we could get in terms of wingers at that price point.. I wasn't against it, but I was also puzzled that we didn't seem to focus on the urgent need for a quality right winger.

Edited by Erikse

Still pro-Howe. For me, he gets next season. Easy. 

His best trait for me was his willingness to learn from mistakes, he mentions it every presser. However, I struggle to see it as of late. 

image.thumb.png.9544476ce833df8cf0694ad91596569e.png

Updated. Our best five managerial records in PL era.

Might also be useful to remember that Bobby finished: 13th (1999-00, 32 games), 11th (2000-01), 4th (2001-02), 3rd (2002-03), 5th (2003-04). He was sacked 4 games into 2004-05. We finished 14th that year. 

20 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

Still pro-Howe. For me, he gets next season. Easy. 

His best trait for me was his willingness to learn from mistakes, he mentions it every presser. However, I struggle to see it as of late. 

I was very pro Howe earlier in the season, simply because of this. He talked about it in the interview with High Performance. That is exactly why I'm so disappointed that he seems so stubborn in some areas that doesn't work. Saying that you allways try to learn by your mistakes is one thing, but it's not worth much if you're still repeating mistakes.

It's a bit confusing, because he says he allways tries to learn by his mistakes, but in another interview he says that he believes that if you keep being consistent with what you do, good things will come eventually. For me those 2 can be a little bit conflicting.

Edited by Erikse

Feel like the noises coming out of the club suggest we have learned lessons over the past season and dating back till the summer window. Excited to see us move forward with that in mind.

57 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I just recently rewatched some of that and one of my main takeaways was there's absolutely no chance there's any thoughts about Eddie's job. They all love him, but more importantly they recognized how against the odds last season was (honestly more than most on here have ever given him credit for) and how difficult this season could be (and that's before everything going wrong).

Yasir could definitely be a bit of a wild card, but overall there's a very level headed group of people running the club.

Careful now. Describing our owners as level headed isn't going to raise the temperature. You need to throw in "ruthless", "cutthroat" etc. That'll get em going 

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

Careful now. Describing our owners as level headed isn't going to raise the temperature. You need to throw in "ruthless", "cutthroat" etc. That'll get em going 

They want to be number one, they don't tolerate mediocrity...

47 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Yeah. The stuff about finishing 11th and equating it to Howe's first season is a really frustrating take that ignores all context. If that happens, of course it'll be a disappointment because it means we've failed in our objective to secure European football, but it's essentially just one fairly meaningless statistic.

There are five teams rattling around a dice cup in the race for 7th; how they'll eventually land is anyone's guess. Besides optics and negligible prize money, the difference between finishing 8th and 11th is meaningless and belies the reality that all were in contention for the prize of European football. 

It wouldn't be an indicator that we haven't progressed as a club beyond  that which existed in May 2022. It wouldn't indicate that we weren't meeting our aspiration to be in contention for European places. And nor would it be an indicator that Eddie Howe is not the right manager for us long-term.

If you consider our performances on the pitch to be an indicator that he isn't the right manager for us long-term; I think that argument has far more weight and logic than defining our progress by pointing at the league table in May. I'd still disagree, mind.

100% he deserves the summer to sort this squad out but he has to be brutal In terms of getting shot of players who are quite clearly not good enough, we all know who they are.

If we go into next season though and the same problems are still there having not being brutal enough in the summer, he'd be making a rod for his own back.

Last night pissed me off more than any game this season, but I'm still 100% behind him. Please get it right Eddie!

1 hour ago, Orphanage said:

It's a bit of a strawman like. I don't think anyone is particularly enamoured with last night's performance or some of the recent results, that's not entitlement.

Entitlement is calling for the managers head (or suggesting PIF should take action) because we aren't competing in the top six, despite all of that mitigating factors around that. Thankfully, they're only a minority.

fuck reading this bollocks, Any True Newcastle fan doesn't want Eddie to go look at the sir Bobby sacking..Even fans of other clubs agree with have been fucked by injuries yet we went out of the champs league giving it our best etc.

Promise ya sack Howie and we'll yo-yo with managers for a decade gaining fuck all

Just now, astraguy said:

fuck reading this bollocks, Any True Newcastle fan doesn't want Eddie to go look at the sir Bobby sacking..Even fans of other clubs agree with have been fucked by injuries yet we went out of the champs league giving it our best etc.

Promise ya sack Howie and we'll yo-yo with managers for a decade gaining fuck all

I'd imagine we would go for some of the best managers around if he does go to be fair.

Don’t know how to add links. Here’s an interesting read on Eddies last year at Bournemouth.  Www.sportskeeda.com      And the heading is ‘3 reasons why Bournemouth failed to avoid relegation from premier league’. Didn’t realise the injury list in his last year was as bad as ours.