Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

11 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Training and tactical style that runs players into the ground leaving them susceptible to picking up serious injuries.

We have to physically work harder than any other team in the league to pick up wins.

A complete shambles at the back defensively, now magnified because we have only the duds left to play there for possibly the remainder of the season.

This isn’t just bad luck.. a manager in control of so much has to keep a grasp of this shit, adapt and ease off when needed. It’s blatantly obvious he hasn’t done that once this season with any member of the squad.

And by the way, the reason the defence is so exposed at the moment is because every other player in midfield and up front is basically fucked and can’t chip in effectively defensively. They’re just left wide open for 90 mins so of course they look shit. It’s nothing to do with formation.

Did the tactics injure Pope?

Just now, KaKa said:

I could pull up stills of Man City getting ran through similar to this earlier this season when Rodri was out. What is this supposed to prove exactly?

Team struggle when best player in the world isn’t playing shocker 

47 minutes ago, STM said:

It's absolutely staggering how many of our fans think they know better than Howe. He's one of the most knowledgeable football coaches I've ever heard speak.

I could understand it with frauds like Bruce, Pardew, Souness etc but not Howe. Howe has forgotten more about tactics, systems, training than most on here will ever know.

That's not to say he's immune from criticism, provided it's contextualised correctly. Funny how I don't hear those that are critical talk about him getting us into the champions league or having the best defence in the league last year or even suggest who they would replace him with, it's because their own arguements crumble before their eyes.

We hear you but maybe just maybe it would help if on Tuesday and going forward we didnt concede 3 soft goals before we decide to play 

Just now, ShootShoot said:

We hear you but maybe just maybe it would help if on Tuesday and going forward we didnt concede 3 soft goals before we decide to play 

Probably hampered by 3 of your back 5 being out.

15 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Training and tactical style that runs players into the ground leaving them susceptible to picking up serious injuries.

We have to physically work harder than any other team in the league to pick up wins.

A complete shambles at the back defensively, now magnified because we have only the duds left to play there for possibly the remainder of the season.

This isn’t just bad luck.. a manager in control of so much has to keep a grasp of this shit, adapt and ease off when needed. It’s blatantly obvious he hasn’t done that once this season with any member of the squad.

And by the way, the reason the defence is so exposed at the moment is because every other player in midfield and up front is basically fucked and can’t chip in effectively defensively. They’re just left wide open for 90 mins so of course they look shit. It’s nothing to do with formation.

We could do with that second manager in asap.

9 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Last season we had the best defence in the league, this season we have the 5th worst. Eddie’s PL record suggests this season is nearer to his norm than last fwiw. And I know, injuries (before you say it).

Honestly, belittling the knowledge of football supporters is such a cliched shit thing to do. We get enough of that from Parlour and other brain dead cunt pundits who think because you haven’t played the game you know nothing. Supporters know football. We see the game, we dissect the game, we fucking play the game and we understand it more than prick pundits and Joe bloggs on football forums give us credit for. 

If I say to that Almiron always cutting inside is really predictable and makes he easy to play against or Jacob Murphy’s decision making in the final third is mostly shocking, is that meaningless because I’m not Eddie Howe? Or is it true, even though I’m just a football fan who said it?

Look, Eddie is a fantastic manager and clearly an unbelievably talented coach but there are things he does that could be improved. He’s just a bloke doing a job at the end of the day. He’s great at certain bits of it and clearly need to improve in other areas, just like any other bloke doing a job. 

And like anything, when you’re deep in something, sometimes you can’t see the obvious. Just to highlight this, did you see the interview with Elon Musk in front of one his rockets, when a student asked him a question about something he himself hadn’t considered and he then implemented it?! I suggest you watch it. 

If you genuinely think the following is good management, let’s just agree to end this discussion:

- Dan Burn knows that regardless of how bad he plays, he will start every game. Every game!!

- Conversely, Tino knows that regardless of how well he plays and how badly Dan Burn plays, he will not start.

- Lewis Hall knows that it doesn’t matter what he does, he will not start. He could have the game of his life, make Maldini look like Paul Dummett and score a hat trick of worldies - makes no fucking difference to his situation at all

As I’ve said all along, I want him to stay but he’s left me with serious doubts this season. I’d hate to see him go before being given the chance to put it right though. 

and yes, I’m now pissed

Good response, But using Elon Musk as an example of good management is just absolutely insane. 

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

Maybe Alonso would be cool with managing the last nine games with the assurance that he gets to coach the season after next.

Only half the season 

7 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Good response, But using Elon Musk as an example of good management is just absolutely insane. 

It wasn’t an example of good management. It was an example of some normal bloke/girl bringing something to the attention of a genius, that they themselves hadn’t considered. And it turned out to be a great idea by all accounts.

But us normal folk know nothing apparently 😉

Edited by Holmesy

3 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Well this feels constructive. Do you think another manager would solve it?

Eddies problem Eddie needs to solve it sorry if its confusing for you

Bizarre opinion - but looking at the league table today - I still think Eddie is doing and has done a great job this season.

It's been a freak season with injuries and the Tonali situation, plus amping up our fixtures with CL while still having a squad fit for the championship in many ways.

Not sure many other managers would have done much more, yes we fucked up in some games and should have done better, but Howes doing a sterling job with some of the options he has to pick from.

Just my thoughts but I'd defiantly be giving him one more season.

7 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Did the tactics injure Pope?

Of course there’s been some innocuous injuries like that.. same as Jacob Murphy.. but the hamstring, thigh and acl injuries I’d bet my house on being a result of them being run into the ground over 2 seasons.

“When muscles become fatigued, they may not be able to support the joints as effectively, increasing the risk of injury.

Additionally, fatigue can alter biomechanics and movement patterns, placing greater stress on certain areas of the body, which can predispose athletes to injuries like hamstring strains or ACL tears.”

I was going to smack myself in the face with a hammer, but I've just read the last 5 pages of this thread, so I don't have that urge anymore.

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

I was going to smack myself in the face with a hammer, but I've just read the last 5 pages of this thread, so I don't have that urge anymore.

Well, if you change your mind and you need a hand…

Edited by Holmesy

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

Of course there’s been some innocuous injuries like that.. same as Jacob Murphy.. but the hamstring, thigh and acl injuries I’d bet my house on being a result of them being run into the ground over 2 seasons.

“When muscles become fatigued, they may not be able to support the joints as effectively, increasing the risk of injury.

Additionally, fatigue can alter biomechanics and movement patterns, placing greater stress on certain areas of the body, which can predispose athletes to injuries like hamstring strains or ACL tears.”

Personally I think Howe turned lots of shit players into decent looking players with this tactic. When we can buy better players we probably won’t use this tactic. No other manager copes any better with this squad imo 

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

It wasn’t an example of good management. It was an example of some normal bloke/girl bringing something to the attention of a genius, that they themselves hadn’t considered. And it turned out to be a great idea by all account.

Ahhh gotcha. fair enough. Misunderstood you. 

5 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

It wasn’t an example of good management. It was an example of some normal bloke/girl bringing something to the attention of a genius, that they themselves hadn’t considered. And it turned out to be a great idea by all accounts.

I don't think that example is the slam dunk you think it is holmes.

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

I don't think that example is the slam dunk you think it is holmes.

:lol: I was thinking the same. But I get what he’s trying to say now, which was a very reasonable thing.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

It's simple for me really. Do we have the 4th best squad in the league? 6th? 8th? Emphasis on the word squad there too. We are about where we should be given what we have, where we've been and what we've had to deal with. When Howe had one game a week and more or less a full squad he could drill the tactics into the players and made some of the less talented ones look a lot better than they are. Obviously we've had many weeks this year where we've probably trained once or twice in between games and it shows. Then remove key pieces of the team such as Pope, Joelinton, a fully fit striker for many weeks, so on and so forth, I think 6th-8th is about right for this group of players. If you look at Spurs in their current guise, it'll be interesting to see how they perform next season if they make the Champions League. Similar high intensity (to us last season) and they'll play something ridiculous like 41 games all of this season. We've already played that many. 

He's more than earned the right to have another go at things next season. Obviously there are some things I hope he has learned from but he's got his way of playing and would rather the players get adjusted to that rather than changing for their sake. He's been that way since the day he arrived, we took some hidings (Leicester, Man City and Spurs away in his first season spring to mind) but he never changed his philosophy.

2 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

:lol: I was thinking the same. But I get what he’s trying to say now, which was a very reasonable thing.

Disagree tbh :lol: a better parallel would be the normal bloke/girl questioning every decision the rocket engineer made and not having the humility to appreciate that they might be working with more information.