Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

6 minutes ago, madras said:

Totally depends on the circumstances. If I still feel we are going forward and we thi k it's just a matter of Time then I'm prepared to stick.

I'd be more likely to stick with him if we won nowt but finished top 4 than if we won the cup but just avoided relegation.

I completely understand that, because of where we've come from over the last 20 years it's easy to just be happy that we're competing and qualifying for Europe, which obviously is an amazing thing, I'm just wondering how long people are willing to wait before we actually win something to consider Howe might not be the answer to our trophy drought, when does qualifying for Europe become not enough?

1 minute ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

I completely understand that, because of where we've come from over the last 20 years it's easy to just be happy that we're competing and qualifying for Europe, which obviously is an amazing thing, I'm just wondering how long people are willing to wait before we actually win something to consider Howe might not be the answer to our trophy drought, when does qualifying for Europe become not enough?

It's like I said, if I still feel we are going forward and that he is the best available then I stick 

Entitled because you expect it after 2.5 seasons. 

1 - we avoided relegation (over delivered)

2- we achieved champs league (over delivered)

3 - we got 7th with worst injury crisis. Above Man U. Most goals scored. Mental cup draws. (Over delivered or at a stretch, par)

But yeah. He should have delivered a trophy

I wonder if Villa fans are saying similar about Emery 

did nowt in the domestic cups probably won't get a better chance at a trophy than they had in this season's ECL

1 hour ago, Collage said:

I don’t know if I’m getting old, but I’m absolutely fine with playing good, at times great, attacking football, being at the top or thereabouts. Winning something would be fantastic of course but I guess I’ve somewhat given up on it. I just enjoy being able to like the team and want them to win every game. Howe is the second coming of Keegan and we would be stupid to sack him prematurely.

Couldn't put it better myself, except I am old and its just brilliant to have a team to be proud of again.  That'll do for me

2 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Entitled because you expect it after 2.5 seasons. 

1 - we avoided relegation (over delivered)

2- we achieved champs league (over delivered)

3 - we got 7th with worst injury crisis. Above Man U. Most goals scored. Mental cup draws. (Over delivered or at a stretch, par)

But yeah. He should have delivered a trophy

Actually, not once anywhere have I said he should have already delivered us a trophy, I'm asking the question of how many seasons does he get winning 0 trophies before we look elsewhere for someone who can? I've already said he deserves to continue.

The bloke has been great for us but needs to deliver silverware at some point, would imagine he would admit the same thing himself.

10 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Entitled because I want to see my club win something, behave.

Everybody wants their club to win something, expecting it 30 months after a takeover of a hollowed out club on its knees. Having to deal with new financial rules designed to maintain the current status quo, isn’t just entitled it’s fucking deluded. 

Not mention we got to Wembley last year, and the quarters of both domestic cups this year; despite very cruel draws. I mean does it look to you as if the club isn’t trying or something?

3 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Actually, not once anywhere have I said he should have already delivered us a trophy, I'm asking the question of how many seasons does he get winning 0 trophies before we look elsewhere for someone who can? I've already said he deserves to continue.

The bloke has been great for us but needs to deliver silverware at some point, would imagine he would admit the same thing himself.

But I dont think you can put a time limit on it. Say you put a time limit of 3yrs and in those years we are runners up in everything only losing out on the title due to a last day PSG style refereeing decision. Do you think we should  say "oh well we set a time limit and you didn't win a Carabou Cup but off you pop even though we don't think we can get anyone better" 

Like I say the circumstances need constantly weighing up and its that that makes the decision, not some arbitrarily arrived at time scale.

9 minutes ago, Ginola14 said:

I wonder if Villa fans are saying similar about Emery 

did nowt in the domestic cups probably won't get a better chance at a trophy than they had in this season's ECL

There's always a few in every fanbase. Some of ours didn't want Howe at the start and have been looking for ammo to shout Howe Out ever since

35 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

So if we are going into the season after next with 0 trophies, would you be happy with the club making the decision to bring in someone else? 

Personally even if we qualify for Europe again next season I'd still be looking for someone who can win us some actual silverware rather than giving him another 5 year contract.

We all love Howe and I recognise that he's a good coach but if it becomes evident he can't deliver the goods we need to leave the sentiment behind.

I desperately want him to succeed I just have my doubts, but he should be safe for the time being.

So you’d sack him for failing to deliver what every manager for the last 60 or more years has also failed to deliver?  IMO that’s ridiculous

8 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

I'm happy just to see improvement on and off the pitch. This season has been blighted by injuries so the on the pitch side of things has suffered. But we've still managed to scrape a pretty good season out of it, and next season we'll improve again with fewer games to play.

The more we push on the better our chances of silverware are. If it gets to the point where it looks like Howe can't improve us any further, then it's time to look into another manager, but that's not the case for me.

Silverware is the aim, but I'll take overall improvement to the club as a whole over that at the moment. Ten Hag's just won two pots in two years, but Man U look to be heading backwards under him. Would you swap Howe for him? I wouldn't 

Posted (edited)

For me, Eddie Howe has delivered and I am 100 % behind him and the team.

We should stick with him. He’s overachieved so far. And he has done so playing a very entertaining and attractive style.

Given quality players, he will win games and in time, winning games will eventually win trophies.

I don’t think it’s fair to expect trophies when we are so far behind the «big 6» in terms of spending.

We are hampered financially, not due to the manager. The manager is perfect for us IMO.

Edited by Norseman

3 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

So you’d sack him for failing to deliver what every manager for the last 60 or more years has also failed to deliver?  IMO that’s ridiculous

So you would give him a free pass with 0 trophies for the next 5 years 10 years? Simply because we haven't won anything in so long anyway? Seems an odd stance.

I've already said he has credit in the bank and deserves a chance to deliver, all I'm saying is if it becomes apparent he can't do that then other options would eventually need to be considered, not sure why this is such a controversial opinion.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

So you would give him a free pass with 0 trophies for the next 5 years 10 years? Simply because we haven't won anything in so long anyway? Seems an odd stance.

I've already said he has credit in the bank and deserves a chance to deliver, all I'm saying is if it becomes apparent he can't do that then other options would eventually need to be considered, not sure why this is such a controversial opinion.

Nope, you were saying we should put time limits on it "how many seasons" etc without looking at context or circumstance 

Edited by madras

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

I would say about 5-7 years.

Or when the manager has a squad that’s good enough to realistically win something. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Or when the manager has a squad that’s good enough to realistically win something. 

Aye. When the squad is of a level that winning something is expected, there's no obvious improvement to be made and he still can't deliver a trophy, it's time to move on and let someone else have a crack

Posted (edited)

It’s mad to base anything on an outcome as unlikely as winning a trophy anyway TBH. Most seasons there are 3 to win and you have to finish better than at least three really elite clubs to get one. You could have a near perfect season and not win a trophy. 

When Pep moves on we can talk again. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We've just watched a team that finished below us in the league win the Fa Cup only yesterday, a team that's also been blighted by injuries.

Having said that I didn't really expect us to win anything by this point anyway, it just needs to go that way within the next couple of seasons IMO or rightfully questions will need to be asked.

This isn't Howe out, it's Howe needs to deliver silverware, particularly if he's well backed in the next few windows.

Posted (edited)

We've just watched a team that finished below us in the league win the Fa Cup only yesterday, a team that's also been blighted by injuries.

Having said that I didn't really expect us to win anything by this point anyway, it just needs to go that way within the next couple of seasons IMO or rightfully questions will need to be asked.

This isn't Howe out, it's Howe needs to deliver silverware, particularly if he's well backed in the next few windows.

Yeah, of course it’s possible, but that’s different to he should do it or it’s an expectation. 

If Man City don’t make a 1 in 100 howler yesterday they probably win the cup. That’s what I mean about how unlikely these things are. One slip or one goal can’t be how you judge a manager. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah, of course it’s possible, but that’s different to he should do it or it’s an expectation. 

I have to say I'd hope a manager a lot of people like to claim is "elite" level win a potential league cup with 4-5 years of good financial backing, and hope that to be the case, like I've said I desperately want Howe to succeed here.

Posted (edited)

I have to say I'd hope a manager a lot of people like to claim is "elite" level win a potential league cup with 4-5 years of good financial backing, and hope that to be the case, like I've said I desperately want Howe to succeed here.

I’d hope so too but let’s say 3 of those will be won by Man City or whoever is the best team at the time, then there’s not a lot left to fight for. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo