Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

7 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

He deserves a shot next season of course, fair bit of credit still in the bank, but interested to know how much time people are willing to give him if we are winning nothing? 

How do you mean? Like winning no games or winning no competitions?

3 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

He deserves a shot next season of course, fair bit of credit still in the bank, but interested to know how much time people are willing to give him if we are winning nothing? 

Is his contract length 5 year? For me his minimum target is to take us into a regular top 6 club whilst cutting free dead wood and rebuilding - ideally with huge goings on in the academy so we can call on them in the future either for a call up to first team or additional revenue stream. Anything above that fire me is just gravy.

i can see why people are adding CL as a target as we got it once but our squad is still so far behind the top teams to expect that season in season out just yet in my opinion.

I think id much rather go on a multiple year journey with Howe, even if its a slow progression, to get towards top end, then to change manager every 18 months to get the boost up there.

The trophies and high would just feel a lot better, then it would with some guy who’s been there 12 months and likely sacked 6 months later.

Yeah, next season is of massive significance for Howe. He must show that he can become a winner and not just play attractive football. Several times this year, and last year, we have lost and played our worst when it mattered the most. Next season, there will be no excuses, and we must become more clinical and ruthless. I am looking forward to a more cynical and efficient style of play where we have strengthened the squad in the positions we need. Not just going for 'good deals'."

5 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Is his contract length 5 year? For me his minimum target is to take us into a regular top 6 club whilst cutting free dead wood and rebuilding - ideally with huge goings on in the academy so we can call on them in the future either for a call up to first team or additional revenue stream. Anything above that fire me is just gravy.

i can see why people are adding CL as a target as we got it once but our squad is still so far behind the top teams to expect that season in season out just yet in my opinion.

For top 4-5 with no european football and with a good summer I dont really think we are that far behind. I think we will have a eleven that will challange with no excuses.

3 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I can see why people are adding CL as a target as we got it once but our squad is still so far behind the top teams to expect that season in season out just yet in my opinion.

I agree with you, but next season is a 'season in', so we ought to have relatively high hopes. We've got no distractions, all our main competitors have extra European commitments. We've got managerial stability, many of our competitors are in flux etc.

We aren't guaranteed anything - not least as it's a long summer ahead - but we ought to be rattling cages next season.

Just now, ATB said:

For top 4-5 with no european football and with a good summer I dont really think we are that far behind. I think we will have a eleven that will challange with no excuses.

But say we’re finished 6th which is the target that would make me happy but at the same time had a bit of a clear out and brought better in - would you be calling for him to go? 

Just now, Gawalls said:

But say we’re finished 6th which is the target that would make me happy but at the same time had a bit of a clear out and brought better in - would you be calling for him to go? 

It depends I would say. Its tight at the top so if we do a good season and still end up "just" top 6, then I would say its ok. But if we huff and puff again and get top 6, just, with no real chance of a higher position. Then I would not be to sure.

10 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

I think id much rather go on a multiple year journey with Howe, even if its a slow progression, to get towards top end, then to change manager every 18 months to get the boost up there.

The trophies and high would just feel a lot better, then it would with some guy who’s been there 12 months and likely sacked 6 months later.

Agree completely.

7 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

Yeah I tend to agree with this. The idea of SSN flashing up the headline "Howe sacked at Newcastle" feels very wrong as things stand.

My only concern on that side is if we need to progress at a certain speed to actually make the whole thing work e.g. to attract the sponsors to pay for the wages to cover the FFP to keep PIF interested etc etc. But otherwise I'm relatively happy on the organic slowboat as long as it looks like we're going in the right direction.

I think the club has underestimated how much of a hamstring FFP is to some extent. The reality is that we're going to have a first 11 that I'd wager could be top 4, but that for a good chunk of each season we're going to have players that potentially aren't at that level.

I'm happy with Howe establishing top 6 with some European competition each year. 

That being said, with Chelsea, Liverpool, spurs and maybe Man U all having new managers next season, plus Villa stretched,  it would be nice to try and take advantage O0

Football forums are great for flagging the lack of football knowledge of football forum users!

From the statements of our owners it’s pretty obvious that Howe is integral to our long-term build.  Last season’s injury crisis showed how far off we are on that long term journey. 

If we can retain our big hitters and strengthen in the summer, and have a bit of luck on the injury front I can only see a great season for us, with Howe at the helm for all of it. 

He will be under pressure to achieve next season, as he should be but that goes with the territory of managing a club that now has high ambitions.

If he can sort our away form out then we will be up there pushing the teams at the very top. However, if he doesn’t or we have another season of mass injuries then the club will make the change.

I am on the side of him sorting our away form out and I hope he can do it.

I don’t know if I’m getting old, but I’m absolutely fine with playing good, at times great, attacking football, being at the top or thereabouts. Winning something would be fantastic of course but I guess I’ve somewhat given up on it. I just enjoy being able to like the team and want them to win every game. Howe is the second coming of Keegan and we would be stupid to sack him prematurely.

Posted (edited)

I don't think anyone at the club did underestimate the difficulty this 2nd season would be. I mean they, literally, told us on numerous occasions. 

If anything it's some of our "fan" base with the underestimation & hubris. 

Looking forward to next season all ready. 

Given the trials of this season and finishing a mere 9 points from CL is a remarkable foundation. I'm sure they'll build on it. 

Edited by Groundhog63

Football has become fun again

I for one am not an entitled little brat who expects us to win the league or throw my toys if we lose 

I love what Howe represents. I never miss a press conference. I love our brand of football.

Long may it continue.

Fuck me, there are some entitled bastards in our fan base. Fully expect Eddie to shut them up next season. Some of the football we’ve played these last two seasons has been the best in a quarter of a century.

The club was hollowed out to a flimsy shell under the Fat Controller and is going to take longer than 24 months to rebuild, particularly given the constraints our Sinister 6 enemies are intent on binding us in. Eddie has done an amazing job elevating us back into being competitive. Hate the phrase but “trust the process” and all that.

1 hour ago, Hhtoon said:

I think the club has underestimated how much of a hamstring FFP is to some extent. The reality is that we're going to have a first 11 that I'd wager could be top 4, but that for a good chunk of each season we're going to have players that potentially aren't at that level.

I'm happy with Howe establishing top 6 with some European competition each year. 

That being said, with Chelsea, Liverpool, spurs and maybe Man U all having new managers next season, plus Villa stretched,  it would be nice to try and take advantage O0

FFP has really put the brakes on our evolution - atm our squad is so lopsided with regardless quality.  This summer is huge for Eddie as he needs to get players out to bring more quality in.  It is a mystery as to how much we are actually able to spend.

Tonali coming back in and a quality right winger being signed will be so massive for this team.

I personally think we are going to be a force next season. 

That right side has been an issue with Longstaff and Almiron just not being reliable enough performance wise.

These are the last key pieces of our first 11, and I think the difference will be very noticeable. 

Howe has already laid the foundations and established a great team culture and framework. Sorting those two positions will take us to the next level.

I cannot see us finishing outside the top 4 and certainly not outside the top 6 and there is a strong likelihood we win a cup IMO.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Tonali coming back in and a quality right winger being signed will be so massive for this team.

I personally think we are going to be a force next season. 

That right side has been an issue with Longstaff and Almiron just not being reliable enough performance wise.

These are the last key pieces of our first 11, and I think the difference will be very noticeable. 

Howe has already laid the foundations and established a great team culture and framework. Sorting those two positions will take us to the next level.

I cannot see us finishing outside the top 4 and certainly not outside the top 6 and there is a strong likelihood we win a cup IMO.

I would like to see DM come in to allow Bruno to get further forward.

2 hours ago, Gawalls said:

So if we are going into the season after next with 0 trophies, would you be happy with the club making the decision to bring in someone else? 

Personally even if we qualify for Europe again next season I'd still be looking for someone who can win us some actual silverware rather than giving him another 5 year contract.

We all love Howe and I recognise that he's a good coach but if it becomes evident he can't deliver the goods we need to leave the sentiment behind.

I desperately want him to succeed I just have my doubts, but he should be safe for the time being.

3 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

So if we are going into the season after next with 0 trophies, would you be happy with the club making the decision to bring in someone else? 

Personally even if we qualify for Europe again next season I'd still be looking for someone who can win us some actual silverware rather than giving him another 5 year contract.

We all love Howe and I recognise that he's a good coach but if it becomes evident he can't deliver the goods we need to leave the sentiment behind.

I desperately want him to succeed I just have my doubts, but he should be safe for the time being.

Totally depends on the circumstances. If I still feel we are going forward and we thi k it's just a matter of Time then I'm prepared to stick.

I'd be more likely to stick with him if we won nowt but finished top 4 than if we won the cup but just avoided relegation.