Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I would say about 5-7 years.

Or when the manager has a squad that’s good enough to realistically win something. 

You're not going to have that squad if we have a similar season to this next year. Bruno/Isak/Gordon will probably be away for a start. Currently it's vital for Europa League at worst and obviously Champions League at best to progress the squad and revenue streams. Winning a trophy next year would be fantastic, but his job won't be measured on this target. However, failure to get Europa League as a minimum, will see him gone. That's being realistic as the owners have already stated about finishing regular in top 6 places within the league. 

Edited by et tu brute

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

You're not going to have that squad if we have a similar season to this next year. Bruno/Isak/Gordon will probably be away for a start. Currently it's vital for Europa League at worst and obviously Champions League at best to progress the squad and obviously revenue streams. Winning a trophy next year would obviously be fantastic, but his job won't be measured on this target. However, failure to get Europa League as a minimum, will see him gone. That's being realistic as the owners have already stated about finishing regular in top 6 places within the league. 

If we lose any of those key players then the expectation will need to be dialled down significantly. If you lose Isak you could spend £100m and make no progress at all. 

Probably similar with Gordon and Bruno. 

There are 8 clubs who should be finishing top 4 now. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

If we lose any of those key players then the expectation will need to be dialled down significantly. If you lose Isak you could spend £100m and make no progress at all. 

I agree and that's why next season is key to try and ensure we don't lose those players.

9 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

We've just watched a team that finished below us in the league win the Fa Cup only yesterday, a team that's also been blighted by injuries.

Having said that I didn't really expect us to win anything by this point anyway, it just needs to go that way within the next couple of seasons IMO or rightfully questions will need to be asked.

This isn't Howe out, it's Howe needs to deliver silverware, particularly if he's well backed in the next few windows.

Because poor teams can win cups. Good teams win titles. 

Man Utd won the FA Cup yesterday, would you say they are going forwards or backwards as a club ?

1 minute ago, madras said:

Man Utd won the FA Cup yesterday, would you say they are going forwards or backwards as a club ?

They were also playing a team that didn't give a fuck and placed zero importance on winning it. I've never seen a team hold the FA cup final with such little regard.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, madras said:

I would say they are a club that wins things. Something we have consistently failed to do for decades.

For some reason clubs like Man Utd just seem to have a winning mentality in their dna. Built over years with different squads and different managers.

That puts them in a strong position to constantly revamp, invest and keep on winning things. So whether it’s unpalatable or not, for me they aren’t in decline but have had some dormant seasons - but dormant seasons in which they have lifted multiple trophies! 
Something we can still only dream of…sadly. 

Chelsea developed that winning knack for a period and of course so have Man City, we can but just need to flipping win anything to get us started. That’s why I am gutted at not getting European football next season- I think we would have had an excellent chance of winning that competition.

Edited by George Bailey

16 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

This isn't Howe out, it's Howe needs to deliver silverware, particularly if he's well backed in the next few windows.

Winning silverware is very difficult now. Even the cups are being dominated by the big six. The two minor European trophies are probably the easiest, because the best teams aren't involved. 

I think Howe will continue to exceed all realistic expectations, but winning something will depend on good recruitment and that bit of luck. He shouldn't be measured on trophies alone.

1 hour ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

So if we are going into the season after next with 0 trophies, would you be happy with the club making the decision to bring in someone else? 

Personally even if we qualify for Europe again next season I'd still be looking for someone who can win us some actual silverware rather than giving him another 5 year contract.

We all love Howe and I recognise that he's a good coach but if it becomes evident he can't deliver the goods we need to leave the sentiment behind.

I desperately want him to succeed I just have my doubts, but he should be safe for the time being.

Absolutely dogshit

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, George Bailey said:

I would say they are a club that wins things. Something we have consistently failed to do for decades.

For some reason clubs like Man Utd just seem to have a winning mentality in their dna. Built over years with different squads and different managers.

That puts them in a strong position to constantly revamp, invest and keep on winning things. So whether it’s unpalatable or not, for me they aren’t in decline but have had some dormant seasons - but dormant seasons in which they have lifted multiple trophies! 

Chelsea developed that winning knack for a period and of course so have Man City, we can but just need to flipping win anything to get us started. That’s why I am gutted at not getting European football next season- I think we would have had an excellent chance of winning that competition.

The fuck? It's not a winning "knack" it's massive amounts of investment into the squad that other clubs can't compete with.

We're trying to catch up but FFP is a constant handbrake on us

Edited by Mills and Boon

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sibierski said:

I think id much rather go on a multiple year journey with Howe, even if its a slow progression, to get towards top end, then to change manager every 18 months to get the boost up there.

The trophies and high would just feel a lot better, then it would with some guy who’s been there 12 months and likely sacked 6 months later.

Was fortunate enough to be in the Atalanta end for their win on Wednesday. They've had 8 years of building with the same manager. From a provincial yo-yo club, to Europa League, then to Champions League. Had to re-build the team over and over. Lost three Coppa Italia finals along the way. They dropped back to 8th two years ago but rebuilt again and back into Europe. Finally got the reward lifting their first trophy in 61 years. 

I'm all on for us having a similar journey. Obviously we have significantly greater financial backing, but with the restrictions and competition we have the gap that needs to be closed is basically similar. I personally don't think we get there by chopping and changing managers. We don't have the room for error to do that yet. We need continuity and building season to season.

If Howe had finished 7th last year and say 4th or 5th this year it wouldn't even be a question as we'd be on a linear progression. The fact he got a cup final and CL in his first season was a ludicrous overachievement that he's now paying for due to the fact we weren't ready to sustain it and have dropped back slightly.

If we struggle next season and finish outside of top 6 then I'd certainly revisit this perspective. But for now there isn't even a question that he deserves 100% support and backing from all fans.

Edited by ponsaelius

1 hour ago, George Bailey said:

They've constantly had one of the best squads in the country, that's a big help. I dont get this winning is a knack or a habit, if so Man Utd would still be winning titles.

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

Winning silverware is very difficult now. Even the cups are being dominated by the big six. The two minor European trophies are probably the easiest, because the best teams aren't involved. 

I think Howe will continue to exceed all realistic expectations, but winning something will depend on good recruitment and that bit of luck. He shouldn't be measured on trophies alone.

Good post. But I have to ask; My impression is that the new owners came in with the ambition to win silverware within 5 years. Judging by your last paragraph I don’t get the feeling this will happen within 5 years or even the next decade. 

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

Need to be backed better in the transfer window this summer.

going to struggle clearing some of the deadwood unless we try giving them away

1 hour ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

I tell you what, there’s one upside of yesterday's result. It makes it a hell of a lot easier to decide who to whack on the ignore list ?

Reassuring that over half this discussion is hidden mind, shame quoting brings them up anyway though 

GK (Pope or new)

Livramento

Botman

New CB

Hall

Joelinton

Bruno

Tonali

Gordon

Isak

New RW

Give us a clean run in terms of injuries and that team should be around the top 4 next season I think as a minimum expectation. Especially as the other teams have Europe to deal with and changes in terms of managers. 

Engagement farming from some blueticks in coming days would be unbearable.

I expect lots of baiting from them.

Hopefully most fan would dealt with them with maturity without sending their BP in overdrive 

3 hours ago, arnonel said:

Entitled because you expect it after 2.5 seasons. 

1 - we avoided relegation (over delivered)

2- we achieved champs league (over delivered)

3 - we got 7th with worst injury crisis. Above Man U. Most goals scored. Mental cup draws. (Over delivered or at a stretch, par)

But yeah. He should have delivered a trophy

Its also just ignoring how cups work. Its a bit of a pet-hate when people say they fancy a team to win a cup or a manager should deliver one.  And if this team gets Man City away in the 3rd round?

1 hour ago, maze said:

Good post. But I have to ask; My impression is that the new owners came in with the ambition to win silverware within 5 years. Judging by your last paragraph I don’t get the feeling this will happen within 5 years or even the next decade. 

It may not happen - the house always wins -  it’s now all about London and the north west, this doesn’t mean that now more than ever I fucking love my club once again and apart from one or two moments last year I embarrassed myself even by over reacting I feel they have done amazingly well.