Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

My confidence in him has not diminished by even 1% after this season.

Obviously I'd have loved Europe, but at the start of the season I thought last year was an over-achievement given what he had at his disposal, and if we made 6th this year then considering that and the extra games, we'd have had just as good a campaign as last year.

Sure nobody is perfect - I was as infuriated as anyone seeing Burn at DL week after week, and persisting with Dubravka after Pope returned has likely been costly. We all have our flaws.

However we came within a whisker of the 6th place I'd have said was as good as last year's 4th and also finished above Man U for the first time in my life, got the 2 cup quarter finals, smashed PSG to give me one of the best nights I can remember, put the mackems back in their box on their own ground, scored more goals than we ever have before and did all that whilst coping with the worst injury crisis any club has had since Man U in 1958.

There is nobody I'd rather have manage this club next season than Eddie Howe.

Preach brother ? 

9 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

My confidence in him has not diminished by even 1% after this season.

Obviously I'd have loved Europe, but at the start of the season I thought last year was an over-achievement given what he had at his disposal, and if we made 6th this year then considering that and the extra games, we'd have had just as good a campaign as last year.

Sure nobody is perfect - I was as infuriated as anyone seeing Burn at DL week after week, and persisting with Dubravka after Pope returned has likely been costly. We all have our flaws.

However we came within a whisker of the 6th place I'd have said was as good as last year's 4th and also finished above Man U for the first time in my life, got the 2 cup quarter finals, smashed PSG to give me one of the best nights I can remember, put the mackems back in their box on their own ground, scored more goals than we ever have before and did all that whilst coping with the worst injury crisis any club has had since Man U in 1958.

There is nobody I'd rather have manage this club next season than Eddie Howe.

This 100%

24 minutes ago, Ben said:

One bloke says he wasted £8k going to the 8 0 so we have lost a fan

You know that was a mackem taking the piss right?

Huge setback for the club today. Very bad luck that 7th didn't get Europe. Gutted, it felt like we were halfway to a trophy next year. 

Probably mainly sorry as I was looking forward to Eddie having his second go at European football. It even has implications for the likes of Miley.

On the upside, we're well and truly back in his wheelhouse. If the players keep their heads straight, which they ought to, there's a solid chance we'll be absolutely exterminating teams next season. Big summer ahead, bigger than I expected this morning.

Rationally, today shouldn't affect how the board - or we - see Eddie's position. But the consequences will probably ripple across the next 24 months one way or another, re: Bruno, youth development, importance of league performance etc.

15 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He could really do with a kind start to the fixture list next season. Last thing he needs is one like last year where we had 4 of the top 7 and we're playing catch-up from the start. 

I've got mixed feelings. I wouldn't be too concerned to be honest. Overall we've done well against the big clubs this season. Can see an argument for wanting to get hard into the season and make a statement. Meanwhile, lower teams will still see us as a scalp to take with a soft underbelly. Would hope we get after them like a tornado too...

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He could really do with a kind start to the fixture list next season. Last thing he needs is one like last year where we had 4 of the top 7 and we're playing catch-up from the start. 

Does it matter? We've got to play everyone twice anyway, what does the order matter?

Well, it does matter. Playing sides we are likely to beat, BEFORE we meet the top sides, can really build momentum. 

Since we’re not in Europe playing the likes of Villa and Liverpool while they are preoccupied with the CL would be preferable.

But I also kind of want our first game to be Liverpool with a new manager at SJP.

Posted (edited)

I love Eddie and I’d be gutted if he was sacked, but I’m far less confident in him than I was this time last year, if I’m honest. Elite managers need to make bold decisions and he consistently avoids them. Pope not playing against Man U is a decision / indecision that looks pretty indefensible now. Not bringing in a keeper at almost all costs in January was brainless and almost everyone on here could see it.

Hopefully he’s learnt. 

Edited by Ronaldo

4 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

I love Eddie and I’d be gutted if he was sacked, but I’m far less confident in him than I was this time last year, if I’m honest. Elite managers need to make bold decisions and he consistently avoids them. Pope not playing against Man U is a decision / indecision that looks pretty indefensible now. Not bringing in a keeper at almost all costs in January was brainless and almost everyone on here could see it.

Hopefully he’s learnt. 

Pope looked shaky af against Brentford, so don't think throwing him in earlier, in a more important game, really was the right choice after all, and I'm not entirely sure we'd have done better this season if we signed De Gea on massive wages and threw him straight into the team after 7 months without a club like you wanted to :lol:

7 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Does it matter? We've got to play everyone twice anyway, what does the order matter?

Because he's going to be under a bit pressure from the start. Last thing he needs is the sort of run where 3/12 points is possible. You just need to go back in this thread to see fans were getting having a nibble at him for it. He could do with a run where we're near the top after a few games, that gets the mood positive and things can roll from there. 

6 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Hopefully he’s learnt. 

Im pretty sure he’s learnt loads this season and will develop even more as a manager. He was starting to show how he has a plan B tactics wise. I do agree though I think he needs to be braver with somw decisions at times.

I think we’ll have a really strong season next year, hopefully we get a bit luckier with injuries, cup draws and league fixtures too.

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

Im pretty sure he’s learnt loads this season and will develop even more as a manager. He was starting to show how he has a plan B tactics wise. I do agree though I think he needs to be braver with somw decisions at times.

I think we’ll have a really strong season next year, hopefully we get a bit luckier with injuries, cup draws and league fixtures too & the bounce of the ball.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

ha fair ?

I am genuinely excited about next season though. I think we’ll be really strong and have a great chance of a cup and top four. Assuming we get top four and there’s talk of PSR rules being relaxed slightly, I think we could really kick on again next summer.

I just hope he develops us in the big games, winning those that really count and that away form has got to change.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

9 hours ago, Ben said:

One bloke says he wasted £8k going to the 8 0 so we have lost a fan

If he's representative of some of the so called fans on here, well good riddance

Love him, want him here for a long time and think he’s actually done a decent job this season all things considered.

That being said, not getting Europe was a bit of a blow and can’t see owners giving him 25/26 if we’re in the same position in 12 months time. 

7 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Hopefully he’s learnt. 

The only excuse for not bringing in a keeper in January would be we were skint - oh that’s right we were. Sorry but I’ve read too many times in the last two days things like “no excuse”, “under pressure now” just because we didn’t get into Europe when it went down to the last game of the season ffs.

You could see he learned a lot more as the season went on with his tactical changes and he very very nearly delivered us into top 6 with what can only be labelled as a crazy lack of player availability throughout the season.

I do believe there’s a good chance that Howe will hit a glass ceiling with us and will have achieved everything he can but so soon after what he’s done is crazy talk in my opinion - those people that say they want him gone just be careful what you wish for.

It’ll be interesting what the club behind closed doors feel about things next season. Not saying I want him here, but someone like Tuchel is quite possibly available early in next season, and if club makes a slow start, do they look at a named manager to get that gap closed?

At some point next season, they’ll want to see club take a step forward and I hope it’s with Howe.

We took a big step forward last season, then held our ground by remaining in the top group this season, but now, if after we spend say £100m+, we’ve got to take a step forward. 7th won’t be good enough.