Newcastle United Women - Champions and Promoted

toontownman

Think I might head down and watch on Sunday, should be about as good a representation as you can get of that level. Top of the league clash the day before at Alnwick as well. Two six pointers for £8.50 :)

17 hours ago, OpenC said:

Think I might head down and watch on Sunday, should be about as good a representation as you can get of that level. Top of the league clash the day before at Alnwick as well. Two six pointers for £8.50 :)

A handful of the current squad have played up here in the Scottish Women's Premier League for the top couple of sides during the times that they were here. The standard of the top teams here is in line with the bottom half of the Women's Championship in England, however the steady improvement in the standard down South is quickly changing that. Having only seen NUFC once last season, and in a pre-season friendly against Hibs, I'd say looking at the squad that it's not far off being at the Championship level and should be in with a shout of attaining that this season.

I would guess with the changes being made that the wider club will be pushing to get into the WSL within the next 3-5 years, possibly even sooner. A lot of chat right now about the WSL expanding again to anywhere between 16-20 teams, so now is a good time to make a move if your aim is to be there. I suspect if the team doesn't get promoted this season, then there will be a swift change of management. Furthermore, I also suspect that I know who they might try to bring in should that be the case.

Whatever happens, the changes that the club have made recently in terms of full time contracts, playing at Kingston Park etc have laid down very good foundations for future growth. Despite being a division below Sunderland and Durham, it's hard not to think that NUFC women won't become the elite women's club in the North-East within a couple of years.

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

Bev Priestman?

Still with Canada isn't she?

I'd reckon that Fran Alonso, currently at Celtic women, would be a strong possibility. It's been suggested he's keen for new challenges, and has been hinted that he's not happy with his current contract at Celtic. Has won the Scottish Cup twice and the league cup since coming up here. The only thing he hasn't won is the league, but they are the front-runners this season. Previously was the first team assistant to Ronald Koeman at Everton and worked with Pochettino at Southampton as well. After that he managed in the Women's Championship with Lewes for a bit.

What would make him a particularly attractive choice, is that he seems to be able to rebuild a team almost every year, given the challenging circumstances he operates under with a very limited budget at Celtic. He appears to have very good connections in the women's game that allow him to bring in very good players on loan from Spanish clubs. He's also shown himself to be very good at getting the most out of what is a fairly average squad.

It's probably about the right fit for both parties as well. The infrastructure NUFC have put into place is already a step up from what Celtic have done over the last few years. I'd suspect the financial package NUFC will offer to a manager will be bigger than anything up here, while he'll be backed to build a squad. It feels like a right person, at the right time type of gig if NUFC find themselves looking for someone with a strong CV.

I've no idea what the going rate at international level is to be honest. I won't be long though until it is eclipsed by salaries on offer at tier 2 and ambitious clubs further down the divisions.

I would think logically that the Canada job is going to become less attractive over time. Their Olympic win was an undoubted highlight, but are they going to go on to win a World Cup? It feels unlikely now, with so many more nations starting to improve.

8 hours ago, Stifler said:

Yeah she is, but if the right offer came along, could she turn it down?

It would also be a chance for her to come home.

Probably more likely Herdman  *leaves TFC and comes home before Priestman but you never know!

Edited by toontownman
*too harsh

Ah, finally got it on my TV now, didn't realise I didn't have the rotate button on my phone highlighted. It's been the same with the men's first team for friendlies, so not just the women, but they shouldn't advertise it being on YouTube if they aren't going to have it on that platform. Would be much more convenient if it was on YouTube.

3 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Bit scrappy now but we've got some quality in the team like

Pitch is awful like. Everything is bouncing and slowing down.

Not a chance we can share with the Rugby team in the long run.

2 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Blame that penalty miss on the pitch :lol:

Can’t blame that on the pitch, the corner flag was in more danger of being hit than it is following a Matt Ritchie goal.

Edited by Stifler

7 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Can’t blame that on the pitch, the corner flag was in more danger of being hit than it is following a Matt Ritchie goal.

I was not being entirely serious :lol: was stood right behind it, no idea what she was going for